Which tires

Discussion in 'Victory Magnum' started by NY mike, Jan 5, 2017.

1. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vic magnum harley ultra
    any of you running a trunk and 2 up touring loaded down for touring try anything other then dunlop e3 looking for something better to me they are just ok

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    I can't help you much on what to get for the Magnum, as I'm only a little over 2000 miles in on my E3's. It would help to know what is important to you tho. Are you looking for a better ride, better handling, or better longevity?

3. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

2014 Victory Vision
    @NY mike Hey Mike. Seems like lately the most popular migration path would be to go to E4s. If it were me and I was using the trunk and rode 2 up I would probably move over to Metzeler 888s. But opinions are all over the board as tires are a pretty personal thing; guys have strong likes and dislikes of certain brands, models etc.

4. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC
    What are you looking for out of a tire?

The E4 has gotten pretty good reviews here from XCT guys.

I've been pleased with the Metzler 888s on my Vision. Rain, wet snow, single digit temps. I have 12k on the rear and I'm almost to the tread wear indicators. What I find odd is that the front will need to be replaced at the same time with 2k less miles on it this time around.

I've been considering going to the Avon's this time since they've come out with their 15k warranty. Everyone likes the grip they provide.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    Not sure which way to go I'd like to run matched tires but with our 21 inch front wheel not as many options . Probably the best reviews I've seen is the new Michelin pilot 4 all the reviews I've read are through the roof but don't Believe we can get a set for our sizes. Just trying to get a feel for what you guys are running and your opinions on the tires you guys are on . I run about half-and-half half interstate lot of 2 Lane Mountain Rd. SW. just looking for a good all-around tire with some decent mileage also a good rain tire just makes me feel a little better when I do get caught in the rain and we all know that's inevitable when you're out for long periods of time and covering a lot of miles . These e3 tires every time I look at them with that BS tread pattern on there they just make me real leary not comfortable with them I'm also in the same boat only 3000 on my magnum but with the 3 road trips I got planned next summer they'll probably be off there by the middle of July so I figured I would just look to you guys and see what tires have been working for you I've got time I figure who is better to talk to you and the guys that I've been on these magnums for a while . It's a whole new animal for me been touring on nothing but Harley baggers since 82 I got a Telya I'm loving this motorcycle

6. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    @jmstang302 wow thats good milage on the888,s i was wondering good revues but a lot of guys said 8g on a back tire but there you go how aggressive do they ride

7. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC
    It has been said that I run a fast pace. I don`t usually do jack rabbit runs through the gears.But I am not going fast enough if I`m not scraping the floor boards. My commute is about 70 miles round trip with the first and last 5 miles on my favorite couple roads. I can smell the tires when I pull into the garage at home lately.

I only got about 8k on the 880 rear to the cords and 10k on the front.

I put Centramatic balancers on when I installed the 888s . One of their claims is longer tire life. It does run smooth and the tires are not cupped at all.

8. UIWMC

UIWMC Active Member

14 Vic XR8ball
    Tires have been well worn threads
    Search in cross country seeing as the magnum is same chassis
    There are reviews on just about every tire available

9. catwrench59

catwrench59 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross country tour
    Best thing I can tell you is stick with a radial if you can. If you can't get a matched set run a radial rear. I had a Metzler 880 go 16K and still had some tread. I got about 10 on the 880 rear and changed it to a 888. I took it off at 6k as I was putting on a front and different rims. I will be putting the 888 back on and running it out at some point. I think it will go over 10k and I liked the ride and grip. I have post many times that I don't like the ride of the Commander II. The grip and rain grip are ok but not better than the Metzler. IMO.

10. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    Do they include a 21" front tire? I think that is the reason the OP posted this thread. He wants to keep a matching set vs going with a different brand front to rear.

11. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    Darkside the rear with a run flat, and never worry about getting stranded. Also get a TPMS no matter what tire(s) you choose.

12. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    Ok appreciate all the responses ive got time to research some more and get some more opinions the Dunlop e4 just hasn't been out long enough not really too much info on that tire I will say looking at it the tread pattern alone is two or three times better than it looks on the e3 tho