VOG Forum banner

What Harley salesman said to me

12K views 79 replies 37 participants last post by  VicVisionBulldog 
#1 ·
A friend of of mine purchased a Harley today, I went with him for the tour experience. The salesman ask what bike do I have , I said octane. He gave me a smirk and said the bike is going to worth 8 bucks some day. I wanted my friend to get an Indian scout sixty because he wanted to spend around 8 grand, but he ended up spending more for a sportster because he's a brand whore.

#2 ·
I had one walk up to me as I was looking at the new stock and say "you looking at getting into riding?" When I said I already did he asked me what. I told him I had a Vision. I got the same smirk and little laugh with "ready for a Harley?" I was then able to give the smirk and laugh back with "no thanks, had two and I'm happier now."

#3 ·
I'll take an Octane over and over-priced Sportster anyday. Take a look at the listings on Craigslist. There's 1000 Harley's for every Victory. I honestly Don't understand why anyone would buy a used Harley when I can get one on Craigslist with really low mileage and a guarantee that it "ain't never seen a drop of rain".

Harley doesn't make a bad product, it's just that they are so poorly named...The Sportster should be called the "Hipster" and the Road King should be re-named the "Garage Queen".

#4 ·
Don't get me started….I recently went to the harley dealer hoping they might have a connector I was looking for. The guy asked "what bike"? I smiled and said "Victory Kingpin, but can't find the part" he asked if I was ready to trade in on a Harley and I replied with "Man, I love that Victory…it would take a whole lot of bike to get me to trade."

We could have stopped there, but he kept on…"I knew a guy that loved his Victory….shot himself in the face later though"

"He must've been going through a lot of sh*t because that Vic would've been the least of his worries"-Me

"Yeah he was a vet, one bad decision after another…joined up like an idiot and then came back from over there all messed up and on pills….."

Thats when I stopped listening to his BS. As an active duty member myself, I felt like choking that dude

#6 ·
Don't get me started….I recently went to the harley dealer hoping they might have a connector I was looking for. The guy asked "what bike"? I smiled and said "Victory Kingpin, but can't find the part" he asked if I was ready to trade in on a Harley and I replied with "Man, I love that Victory…it would take a whole lot of bike to get me to trade."

We could have stopped there, but he kept on…"I knew a guy that loved his Victory….shot himself in the face later though"

"He must've been going through a lot of sh*t because that Vic would've been the least of his worries"-Me

"Yeah he was a vet, one bad decision after another…joined up like an idiot and then came back from over there all messed up and on pills….."

Thats when I stopped listening to his BS. As an active duty member myself, I felt like choking that dude
Such a strange thing to tell somebody in that situation. As if it was the motorcycle that caused it. People annoy me.

Reactions: 1 person
#13 ·
Different places I guess have different attitudes...... I went to the HOG shop here a couple of weeks back to see if i could purchase one of those flat used oil tray things as i am thinking of doing my own oil changes from now on..... They don't stock them but will get one in for me..... I was also asked what did I ride and i said a Victory XCT and this lady behind the counter said "nice bike them", and i said "yes they are" and that was the finish of it...... I turned and walked out and went for a ride out to a suburb that is a few k's out of the actual city limits......

#15 ·
@Clyde frog, you need to get out more mate..... Look at my profile avatar and you will see that I am just round the corner from you and a little south.........:angel4:

#17 ·
Buggar the bridge mate, we don't want all those illegals you have there....... We get enough from elsewhere..... We just hoping that Trump doesn't patent the wall of Mexico so that we can use similar round our shores.......

#19 ·
I too got weak and out of visiting the Local Victory Dealer who clearly is moving on with remaining stock down to 3, visited the HD place. Found the salesman very informative and offering demo ride on any one of them I wanted. I asked about trading in Victorys and he just said, if it has a vin plate, we can deal. No negative comments at all or even comparing...

Ended up talking Vettes and left with the business card and a demo if I ever want one.

#20 ·
The our ****dont stink attitude at some of the boutiques I've visited makes me sick. When provoked honey says I get this look on my face and then she looks at the sales man or who ever is talking crap and then looks back at me. She knows what's about to happen and just walks away. She hates seeing people get beat down verbally by me.

#22 ·
Getting back on topic,. everytime a cocky salesman says something about trading in or moving up to something else they will get one of two answers depending on my mood.

They are,

1. "There is nothing you can give me to get that bike away from me."

Or,.

2. " No,. I'm not looking to downgrade right now."

Either of the two is usually followed with a " I'll come find you if I need anything guy. " generally I am pretty well left alone after that. However if they are respectful and courteous I will gladly entertain them as politely as I can.

#26 ·
I was just in the process of moving my 2012 XC on. Over the last couple of years I've almost turned her into a XCT.

I was looking at trading her in on the latest model Yamaha FJR1300AE due to the inability to get simple parts for her (Didn't tell them that). Yep they said. Now this is in Australian dollars, but they still wanted $20,000 plus the Victory to do the deal.

Effectively giving me $10,000 or less for her. No thanks. I'll put her in the garden as an ornament before I do that deal.

Now, my spare parts guy has been able to source me some spares to put away, although some are higher level assemblies, to help me keep her running.

Nothing I have test ridden over the last month has been anywhere near as comfortable, or put a bigger smile on my face than my XC.
Sky Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank

Now I'm a very happy camper.

#28 ·
having had an 06 porkster i traded in on my 13 hammer i can say they have the best engine harley makes, except it looks like it will shake to death, its reliable + low maintenance but they are slow, brakes + suspension sucks + they are top heavy with fork flop!! i made the mistake of buying without testing as i had no motorcycle endorsement required in Pa. i still can't believe my 100 lb heavier Hammer is so much easier to ride!! in 2006 i did not know Vics existed thanks to Polaris's poor advertising!!

#31 · (Edited)
Not jumping on the HD hate wagon, but they're not for me. I'm too focused on modern style and current technology and HD is neither. Their focus is on the HD Brand and Lifestyle. As an auto marketing guy I have to respect the level of loyalty their customers have, it is almost unmatched in the industry and ranks up there with euro-car clubs and vintage Bimmer owners - which that is a labor of love all on its own. But HD is far from modern styling and current tech.

The next logical step for bikes is water cooled to manage head/cylinder temps to run leaner, reduce emissions. EFI, variable cam timing/valve timing, drive by wire, ABS, and catalytic converters.

My next upgrade will be a VMax in ten years if there is nothing comparable to my Octane by then. Maybe a Valkryie for touring? Only if I can't find a Magnum by then.

#32 ·
having had an 06 porkster i traded in on my 13 hammer i can say they have the best engine harley makes, except it looks like it will shake to death, its reliable + low maintenance but they are slow, brakes + suspension sucks + they are top heavy with fork flop!! i made the mistake of buying without testing as i had no motorcycle endorsement required in Pa. i still can't believe my 100 lb heavier Hammer is so much easier to ride!! in 2006 i did not know Vics existed thanks to Polaris's poor advertising!!
I agree with you on Polaris's poor advertisement, I was never into motorcycle until these recent years. I heard about Victory in 2010 from my co-workers, but every body seem to go for Harley for their to-go cruisers. First time I actually saw a victory motorcycle was in 2015 when I decided to go check a newly build Indian motorcycle/victory dealership.

#33 · (Edited)
Not jumping on the HD hate wagon, but they're not for me. I'm too focused on modern style and current technology and HD is neither. Their focus is on the HD Brand and Lifestyle. As an auto marketing guy I have to respect the level of loyalty their customers have, it is almost unmatched in the industry and ranks up there with euro-car clubs and vintage Bimmer owners - which that is a labor of love all on its own. But HD is far from modern styling and current tech.

The next logical step for bikes is water cooled to manage head/cylinder temps to run leaner, reduce emissions. EFI, variable cam timing/valve timing, drive by wire, ABS, and catalytic converters.

My next upgrade will be a VMax in ten years if there is nothing comparable to my Octane by then. Maybe a Valkryie for touring? Only if I can't find a Magnum by then.
I saw it with my own eyes, 4 customers bought a Harley that day including my friend. After a purchase, a customer would have to ring a bell along with their music of choice. They offer very good inexpensive warranties along with a free t-shirt and Harley badge/tokens + Harley points. I give them props for their marketing strategy, just amazing. I am unbiased when it comes down to brand, I only care what's right for my wallet.

They make sure customers feel like they belong to Harley's family. Unlike victory, here's your key and ride home safely. :)

#34 ·
I get promotional snail mail and e-mail from HD every month. Credit card applications, brand merchandize magazines, bike promotions, HOG announcements, etc., etc., etc. On the one hand it can be annoying. On the other hand it keeps the HD brand in front of you. Does Victory do this type of product promotion?

#35 ·
I get promotional snail mail and e-mail from HD every month. Credit card applications, brand merchandize magazines, bike promotions, HOG announcements, etc., etc., etc. On the one hand it can be annoying. On the other hand it keeps the HD brand in front of you. Does Victory do this type of product promotion?
None of those goodies email promotions from victory, maybe because they went out of business. I am not sure myself. Even with car dealerships, I don't think most come close to Harley marketing promotions, maybe if I'm rich enough to buy a Ferrari, I might get that same treatment, lol.

#36 ·
Heck I only found out Vegas had an Indian Dealership when I went searching for used Harley's, then I find out we have 2 Indian/Victory dealerships in town!

Marketing is not a strong suit. On my drive home I pass an Indian/Victory dealership and a Harley dealership. I see 3 signs for the Harley place and none for Indian/Victory. Granted, the Indian place has a slightly better location - Harley is hard to find squished in behind Carmax.

#37 ·
I did not even get the letter from PolAnus that others received explaining the shut Down!
Damn they suck.

#38 ·
I was gassing up my bike yesterday and some dude started to comment on Vic closure.

I played Stupid. I said oh really? That's to bad. Then he kept talking about it. I looked at him and asked him why he was so effected by Vic closure and that it was only a motorcycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.