VOG Forum banner

Welp... It's in the shop.

27K views 217 replies 52 participants last post by  Zivs 
#1 · (Edited)
Saturday; Got a vic oil change kit, changed the oil, bam ready to go.
Sunday; Netflix day and no one to hang out with, so no riding
Today; Hop on my bike, normal morning. Cruise down the road to the first stop light and as I'm sitting at the light I hear a knocking noise. My music was blaring so I figured it was the road crew near by and didn't pay any mind to it. I get to work and then get ready for lunch. As I'm cruising to Subway I stop at another light, pop it in neutral and hear this sound of metal on metal, but there was a tow truck near by rigging up a broke down car so once again I pay no mind to it. I grab my sandwich (Italian BMT with pepperjack and it was wonderful, thanks for asking) And I start up the bike in neutral on stand. Swing my leg over and right as I pull the bike upright I hear the sound again. Its very similar to a bearing rattling around in a tin bucket. So I shut down the bike wanting to avoid any further damage that it may cause and start checking everything out that I can possibly think of. I check oil level and visually look at everything around the engine in case something came loose but I can't find anything. I call my dealer and he suggests that it may be the hydraulic cam tensioners are not getting adequate pressure and to let it idle for a while and I tell him what I observed, he recants and suggests I have it towed into him. So now we wait. Sorry for the wall of text just giving as close to accurate description as I can. Unfortunately they didn't have a tech on staff today... Any thoughts?

STATUS: She is back in my loving arms after a month and 3 days.

THE PROBLEM: 3 to 4 gears are compromised. Pieces of the dog appear to be what broke. Piston is damaged badly but cylinder walls appear to be fine. Everything has been documented and waiting for an approval from Polaris and on parts.

This happened once again:
http://www.thevog.net/threads/welp-its-in-the-shop-the-sequel.58168/

See less See more
#4 ·
How loud is the knock?
Does it go away when the RPM is raised?
How about when under load?

Does the oil light go out immediately after starting?

These are crude noisey motors. Mine been knocking and rattling since new.

But the first thing I would have done is replace the filter. A buddy of mine had a new filter that would not let the oil pass through!.......

#6 ·
Filter doesn't even have 20 miles on it. The knock is loud. When I was showing the guy at the dealer we had the bike idling for a good 5 minutes and he said he heard it. I hopped on the bike and started rocking it side to side then it sounded like a piece of metal bouncing all over the case. Think penny in the laundry dryer. No timing wheel and I didn't hear it when under load due to music. When I finally figured out it was my bike making the noise I pulled into parking lot.

#8 ·
Drain the oil thru a coffee filter and look at what is in the filter? If metal you have big problems. No Metal than th e problems are a little smaller.

Did the sound start after the oil change or did you have it before?

Rocking the bike causing the sound to move??? where is the rattle coming from? Left or right side? top end?

Torque compensator might have gone bad.

#9 ·
I'll filter the old oil through the coffee filter seeing as I haven't disposed of it yet. sound started after the oil change. Yes, rocking the bike caused the sound. It seems as if there is some sort of debris in there that is heavy enough to sit on the low side of the bike when it is on the stand. Putting the bike upright (at least in my mind) causes whatever it is, to be able to roll around or flow around and start bouncing off of whatever parts are moving. It seems to me the sound was coming right in the middle of the crank case when bike was upright, right in between the cylinders or by the crankshaft.

#10 ·
I tried and tried to resist, but I just have to do it...

When did you trade your CC for a Harley?

Come on....we know that not a single thread can be allowed to continue without the mention of HD.

You're welcome. :)

#13 ·
Well at least with my previous bikes, the whole drain bolt is magnetized. I don't know if Vics have some weird plug with a mag attached. This was my first oil change on this bike, so what I saw is what I know, which isn't much...

#14 ·
OEM drain plug isn't magnetized and there is nothing on it. I would do as Squatch suggested and drain the oil through a filter into a clean jug. If it's clean you can put it back in. Change the filter even if it only has 20 miles on it and cut the old filter open looking for debris. With the oil out you might get a magnet in the hole and shake the bike and pull out what ever it is.

#16 ·
Well unfortunately and fortunately it is in the dealer's hands now. Everything should be under warranty with 6k miles on the bike and only slip-ons, so nothing should be void that has to deal with engine. I'll give them a call around noon to see if there is a status on it. I got a trip to Vegas and we leave Friday morning :wall:

#19 ·
at least you had a good sandwich....

Keep us posted on what this turns out to be.

• Haha
Reactions: Zivs
#23 ·
Got off the phone with them about an hour ago. They did a quick over view. looked at shifters and clutch and weren't able to find it... They told me to cancel my ride this weekend and they were going to get help with Victory techs and tear it apart in the morning :(

#24 ·
Zivs,
From what you are describing something let go within the case. and it is heavy enough not to be picked up by the oil flow under power. My thoughts lean toward a gear tooth, or a bearing that has somehow let one of the balls escape. I am leaning toward the bearing part as you can roll it around sort of speak by tilting the engine ( Side stand to vertical). Sounds like the best way forward is to have the techs open her up and inspect. At least she is still under warrantee.

Let us know what is found.

#26 ·
Okay... Just got off the phone with my dealer... Victory didn't have any suggestions as of yet so they didn't open the engine up. I guess policy or something, don't know how this works really. But anyways they haven't opened it up yet. They did however take a magnet and fish around the crank case. He said what he found was some metal debris that seemed to resemble pieces of the trans that were sheared off. He said he sent the info into Polaris and should hear from them tomorrow. Looks like I'm gonna be out of a bike for a good week or more :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.