WARNING, Serious Safety Issue- Victory Vision

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Thumper, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Thumper

Thumper New Member

Yesterday, I was returning to Washington State from a trip thatI made to Arches National Park in southern Utah.I was in Portland Oregon, stuck in stop-in gotraffic, when ICOMPLETELY lostALL steering control of the bike!
    Inordernot to be too dramactic I'll simply describe the parts failure thatLOCKED up thebikes steering. As you know the Vision, basically, has two parts to the front fender. The painted part and the non-painted part that protects the oil cooler and battery box area from rocks and debri. BOTH fork attachmentpointsfor that non-painted part, on my 2008 Vision,cracked, then broke andFAILED.
    That caused this rear portion (non-painted) part of the front fender to move back, towards the engine, thendrop "down" and wedge itselftbetween the battery box holder and the front(chrome) grill. However the two retaining "pushpins" at the top of this fender had loosened but stillhadenough strength to keep it attached. Results? A COMPLETELY LOCKED FRONT STEERING WHEEL!
    Two men pulling separately and together did NOT have enough strength to pull this part out of its wedged position! We layedthebike on it'sside, removed the lower valance and still could not get itout as it (somehow) got hooked upinto the steel battery box.
    Fortunately I have a center stand so weput the bike on the stand and after 5 mins of twistingthe bars and pulling on the fender it finally came loose. I reported this SERIOUS and scary problem to my dealer and Polaris.
    Thenextstep is to notify the NTSB if Polaris does not instruct its dealers or Vision customers to have their bikes inspected for stress cracks of if Polaris does not take action to either strengthen the attachment points or redesign the fender so it can'tlock the steering.
    The cause? I think it was thedays of 100+ degree heat andnormal bike vibration,for hours at a time, that caused thefender mounts to slowly fracture and eventually break on a aging bike. Polaris (probably) knows about the problem because when I ordered the replacment part there was a "manufacturing delay" in receiving it..
  2. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2006 Kingpin

I would hope Polaris is doing a warranty/good will replacement in this area. That part really needs a lab to be looking at the stress. Brakes and steering are the two main ways a bike failure will kill you in the mechanical sense. You found the big one! This is really bad.
    Thank you, for posting it. Everybody needs to be asking these questions now.
  3. BBob

BBob Active Member

11 XC, 04 KP

This definitely needs to be reported to the NTSB asap. Not to defame Victory but even their top techs say to report these issues so Ma Vic will act on it.
  4. mjw930

mjw930 Active Member

BMW K1600GTL

Yes, report it to the NTSB but understand that unless multiple people report the problem and through analysis it's determined to be caused by a defect then and only then will anything be done about it.
    I don't believe I have read about anyone else posting to the various Victory and Vision sites reporting this issue so hopefully it's an isolated incident.
    Of course everyone who owns a Vision should check their fenders for any signs of looseness, cracking or deformation.
  5. SRF2665

SRF2665 Member

V-Star 650 & 2013 XCT co-owner w/Puddlejumper

Thank the good Lord that it happened when you were stopped. Boy it could have been so much worse. Yes they should replace the parts for free. Definitely make sure it gets reported. It may save someone elses or your own life down the line.
  6. phoenix9

phoenix9 Active Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001

I'm going to hop in line and say REPORT it to the NTSB.....I have posted links to the exact web page here before. As critical as this problem is, I pray that Victory doesn't wait until there are more reported problems. This is not the 1st post on this subject and I'm afraid that if they drag their heels on this one that someone may wind up dead.
    Victory, if you reading this, don't f--- around on this one. One major catastrophe on this problem and there won't be enough money to bring someone back from a hospital bed or a coffin.
  7. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

Victory Vision Tour Premium

Which part cracked, the plastic fender or the metal mounting on the fork ? Could a visual inspectionidentify if cracking has started or is disassembly required?
  8. jandjp

jandjp Member

Vision

If I am not mistaken I have read about this ona VMC thread before.
  9. Mudge

Mudge Member

It's the plastic that's been cracking mate. From the bolt holes to the edge of the black back half of the fender.
  10. phoenix9

phoenix9 Active Member

Yep, and it's been reported on Vision-riders, and here on the VOG as well. I think it was blown off by a lot of us as an "anomally" or insignificant, but all the sudden we are seeing quite a few of them from the 2008's and 2009's.
    I know from my years working with HDPE (High Density Polyethylene), that there is a "slow crack growth" issue with older resins. In the HDPE industry the resin cell classification for pressure critical applications was changed due to this issue.....but those materials deemmed as not critical will still be using older resin cell classifiaction. The new resin is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the older resin makeup.
    I would never in a million years think of a fender as a "pressure critical" application, but that is proving to be as wrong as can be. THESE are the kinds of things that they cannot see under extreme testing on new models and parts. Real world time and use is the ONLY way these issues are exposed.
  11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision

The rear part of the front fender on Scream is very pliable.
    There is no way that part could resist 2 grown men pulling on it, or at least I would hope not. [​IMG]
    So, Victory must have made a change in the composition of the rear fender part in 2011 or earlier.
    I just went out and checked Scream's rear front fender mounts and all is A-OK.
    Scream has been ridden all over the country in very hot weather for days on end.
    Let's hope that Victory has changed that part in the later editions of the Vision.
    [​IMG]
  12. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Active Member

I do not know if the fender rear on the front is changed I will have to look at my 2011.
    Thefront fender rearon my 2008 was a very hard dark gray plastic and I was watching it because other Vision-Pilots had had fenders crack or break and mentioned it here and other sites.
    This is the first time I have seen a report of the fender becoming jammed into the oil cooler area of the bike.
  13. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Active Member

Just checked the front fender rear on my 2011 is as Bigfoot described a black flexible plastic more rubber like than rigid like my 2008.
    Do not know what year they changed it but Ma Vic has made a change
  14. Swoop8

Swoop8 New Member

2008 Victory Vision

Thanks for the heads up. Safety is of utmost importance, you don't want to have to be worrying about a potential failure. It definitely needs to be addressed.
  15. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision

I just waxed Scream for the first time yesterday, so I kind of thought they had made a change.
    It seems that you have been negligent (thorough cleaning/waxing wise) to your new ride too. [​IMG]
  16. LugnutZ

LugnutZ New Member

2011 Vision 8 Ball

Thanks for sharing. Glad you and the bike escaped serios harm. I will be sure to check mine occasionally.
  17. ManWithAVision

ManWithAVision OT-CAN

I have stress cracks in the rear fender of my 2010 Vision (with 26,000 kilometers on it) on the port side. The starboard side seems to be okay. Both sides on my wife's 2010 Vision 8-Ball are fine at 10,000 kilometers. The rear fenders on both of our 2010's are hard, rigid plastic. I can't figure out how the rear fender managed to fall off and get wedged between the battery box and the front cowl. The fender actually normally sits about 3 inches lower than the gap it got wedged into. The only way I can see this happening without defying gravity is if you grab a handful of front brake to completely compress the front forks (and raise the rear edge of the fender), and the fender chooses that moment to pop off and bounce backwards at the same time. I'm not doubting that this happened, but the chances of it happening again would have to be pretty slim. Based on the front endgeomitry I would say it would be much more likely that the fender would simplyfall to the ground and get hung up under the mid section of the bike or run over by your rear wheel. We have no "push pins" holding ours in place, They are firmly bolted to the front fork by a single hex head bolt on each side. It would be physically impossible for ours to get wedged between the battery box and the front cowl without letting go at both front bolts as the rear lip on the fender would have to move rearward about three to four inches from its normal position. If it did break free and get wedged, I suppose it could fall forward andwrap itself around the tire, preventing you from turning the wheel.
    I think, given that this is obviously a problem that is proving to be common to the 2008 - 2010 model years and it sounds like Vic may have changed the composition of the fender material on the 2011's because of this problem (based on other posts), Vic should be offering a free exchange with the return of the defective thefenders to their dealers.
  18. keithgrey

keithgrey Well-Known Member

2010 ABS Vision

[​IMG]
    This is what my Left hand rear front fender section looked like when I checked it after your warning. Thanks for the heads up. It was not like that before easter when I changed tires, and I do not remember seeing it the last time I did a good cleaning 2? weeks ago.
    Either way, I will remove it and use crazy glue and a large washer or some carbon fiber and expoxy to reinforce (depends what the fabricator acrossed the street says) until I get it replaced. Heck, maybe even thin stainless and small rivets on both sides to strong back it.
    Again, Thanks for the heads up!
    KG
  19. SpidermanOhio

SpidermanOhio Active Member

2011 Victory Vision

This has most definetly been reported on other forums and seems to be a serious issue. Reporting it as described from others is critical. A couple of manufacturers are making a full metal fender...makes me wonder if it is worth the investment?
    Check those plastic fenders folks...it is a problem.
    [​IMG]
  20. phoenix9

phoenix9 Active Member

Keith Grey, I am almost positive that the rear fender is made from HDPE (high densitiy polyethylene). It is chemically inert, which means that no chemical bonding agent will adhere to it long term....and I do mean nothing. The only way to fix it is to weld it. Not chemically weld it because you can't, but rather heat fusion weld it.....trust me, this is my world. I've worked with this material for 2 decades, and I've had contractors try every possible bond on the planet earth. It wont hold as soon as that fender is introduced to heat, cold, wet, and vibration.
    Once a crack begins, then a 450 degree fusion weld is the ONLY way to stop it. Whatever your techs tell you, they will be wrong in the long term.....and by long term I mean give it one winter at the very best.