VICTORY MOTORCYCLES FACTORY RACE TEAM LAUNCHES INTO 2nd SEASON OF DRAG COMPETITION

Discussion in 'TheVOG.net News' started by NickJ, Mar 24, 2016.

1. NickJ

NickJ Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Indian Scout
    [​IMG]

Matt & Angie Smith prepare Victory Gunner for NHRA Mellow Yellow Pro Stock Motorcycle Drag Racing Series

MINNEAPOLIS — March 24, 2016 — Victory Motorcycles® Factory Race Team is ready to light ‘em up again in 2016, its second year participating in one of the fastest, most intense sports on the planet: the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Mellow Yellow Pro Stock Motorcycle Drag Racing Series.

Showcasing Victory’s commitment to deliver Modern American Muscle, the Victory Motorcycles Factory Race Team is comprised of NHRA power-couple Matt and Angie Smith, who are back racing their tricked-out, custom Victory Gunner drag bikes in this series fit for adrenaline junkies.

Matt boasts two World Champion titles and seventeen career wins, ending the 2015 season – his first with Victory Motorcycles Factory Race Team – 4th in points with three runner-up finishes as well as a No. 1 qualifier. Angie, Matt’s wife and Victory Motorcycles Factory Race Team partner, last year blasted down the strip to three quarterfinal appearances.

Both riders say they got more comfortable aboard the Victory Gunners as their inaugural year atop the bikes progressed, and say off-season gains during testing should see them much improved in 2016.

angie.jpg

"We did really well in testing and we know we have great horsepower," Angie says of their off-season work in Bradenton, FL. "When you do really well in testing, that makes you want to go to the first race even more just to see how you stack up with everybody. We're very eager to get there."

The NHRA Mellow Yellow Pro Stock Motorcycle Drag Racing Series, which kicked off March 17-20 at the Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla., is scheduled to make 16 stops in 2016. Race attendees can meet the fan-friendly Smiths and their Victory Gunner drag bikes in person, as NHRA racing allows fans to get close to the action to experience the raw power of the Victory Racing Team in the heat of competition.

“The excitement that is created at an NHRA event is matched by the energy that Victory brings to every one of its motorcycles,” said Steve Menneto, President of Motorcycles for Polaris. “With these Gunners, and these riders, we’ve got the muscle to make history happen.”

After stops in Gainesville, FL, Charlotte, N.C., Atlanta, GA, Englishtown, NJ, Norwalk, OH, Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Sonoma, CA, Brainerd, MN, Indianapolis, IN, Charlotte, SC, St. Louis, MO, Reading, PA, Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV, the NHRA Mellow Yellow Pro Stock Motorcycle Drag Racing Series season ends Nov. 10-13 at the Auto Club NHRA Finals in Pomona, Calif.

Visit NHRA.com for up-to-date news about the NHRA Mellow Yellow Pro Stock Motorcycle Drag Racing Series. Learn more about Victory Motorcycles at VictoryMotorcycles.com or follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    They are NOT freedom engines! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Humblepie

Humblepie Active Member

2016 Victory Gunner
    No but the Victory built engines are supposedly awaiting NHRA approval. I will try to dig up the article where I read that.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Now THAT I would love to see, otherwise it does nothing to support Victory in the Drag arena.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

2014 Victory Vision
    I was wondering myself if they were running the VIc engines this year or still running the S&S engines. Must be quite a process to get an engine approved. I will get really interested in the program when the Vic engines go in. But I see no reason not to cheer them on now either!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Humblepie

Humblepie Active Member

2016 Victory Gunner
    Ok, Here is an article from last season that said they were supposed to begin development on the Victory powertrain and schedule for completion in 2016.

I am having trouble finding the article where it was mentioned in an interview that they were awaiting NHRA approval for the new engines. Now that the 2016 NHRA season has started my search results are getting really cluttered with race results and new articles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    It would be nice if they would give us some idea of their intended build specs.

8. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision
    a06fdcda52db8e4238bdbe02e9adb476.jpg a06fdcda52db8e4238bdbe02e9adb476.jpg I don't understand s&s built the v&h motor in there buel and built vic's gunner motor too.
    but vic can't win

Attached Files:

9. Muzza

Muzza Disciple of the Cheese Wedge

2014 highball
    Negatives, negatives negatives....

Ummmmm there's a big victory decal on the tank and the words gunner on the rear guard!!!!

When the Smith's pull to the line the bike gets introduced as a victory and this doesn't support victory??????

It's team victory!!!!

So the Harleys aren't representing Harley either????

They dont run their own engine!....

I just don't get it any more?

TheVOG has become a place for nothing but negativities towards the victory brand.....

First the launch of the octane followed by everything from transmissions to paint finishes!!!!!

If i were contemplating a victory and read through TheVOG first, I'd be turned off getting one for life.....

I'm over it....

Polaris don't know what that their doing, their bikes are all shiit and they'll be out of business in the near future.....

I better hurry up and sell my HB and go back to Harley.....

I give up.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Hey, we're diggin here...patience, we may come up with a sneak peek on the build! :) put a shrimp on the barbie...have a Fosters, you can't give up, that was a wonderful story. :D

11. Humblepie

Humblepie Active Member

2016 Victory Gunner
    In most of the recent interviews the Smiths mention several times that they are still trying to get additional aerodynamic changes approved and they feel they are losing a few MPH to the competition because of this.

It will take several season to work out all the new bike issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1