VOG Forum banner

Vic rumor of the day

12K views 118 replies 54 participants last post by  racky 
#1 ·
OK, my neighbor was talking to a Motor LEO and he mentioned to my neighbor ..........Yamaha is looking to buy Victory from Polaris...

Take it at face value...until you see Tuning forks on a V it's just another hope/rumor

#2 ·
Been down to the shed, checked the tyres and both are now good 40 rear and 38 front..... Probably take a ride to the beach in about 1/2 hour or so on my old Victory XCT or is that to be my new Yammie XCT.... :angel4:

#9 ·
Hey it was a great ride peep.... Got a little water on the bike, just enough whilst doing round 110kph or so ;) It washed all the grasshoppers and other things off the front of the lower fairings etc. almost looks clean again...... Bring it on Yamaha, Kawasaki, or even another American name, who cares as long as it is as enjoyable as it is now, then thats all one needs.....

#5 ·
Not sure why Yamaha would do that, they had a perfectly good Star line of motorcycles that didn't make it. But if they kept the Victory name maybe they feel like they would be shedding that "Metric" perception that kept so many cruiser and touring riders away. What they could do is pair the line down to just a few exclusive models and really focus on building them to be the best that they can be. Something interesting might come of it, because Yam builds a great bike.

So bring back the Cross Roads, Bring back the Pin and Keep the Vegas as your steel framed models, and for the tourer - Take the very best of the Vision and the Cross and build a superior touring platform. 4 models, each built with focus, purpose and lots of accessories like they did the Bolt!

Not reading too much into this, but it is interesting.

#7 ·
If Yamaha buys it that would take the whole "Merica" out of it for me. That was the reason for wanting a Victory. It was American and not a Harley. My father in law preaches to me about how his Honda is all made in America. That doesn't matter when the majority of the money from those bikes is shipped back over seas to Japan to the corporation. I would be buying an Indian for sure then, eventually. Especially if they change the body style.

#12 ·
At this stage do you believe what they say. Polaris is short in cash with recalls and the parts business that went wrong.

If you want a high bidder the best thing to say to buyers is always that it is not for sale.
I would like to see Victory owned by someone else. If Yamaha is the owner and they do the right things this can work well.

What I am sure is that Polaris will not sell the shared Octane-Scout platform, but for the rest I think they have no problem about it.

#11 ·
OH! please do not let anything Victory go near that hideous slingshot thing.... NO WAY!

#14 ·
Cash to a for profit company that only cares about share value will entertain ALL bids to buy. Especially a company that has over $65 million in recalls and 23% reduction in off road sales.

My rough calculations place the price tag between $150 and $200 million.

Which one of you on this forum has access to that kind of loot? I ask because I want to send you my resume for a post with Vic after you buy it!

#96 ·
Cash to a for profit company that only cares about share value will entertain ALL bids to buy. Especially a company that has over $65 million in recalls and 23% reduction in off road sales.

My rough calculations place the price tag between $150 and $200 million.

Which one of you on this forum has access to that kind of loot? I ask because I want to send you my resume for a post with Vic after you buy it!
Trump. I will write him and ask him to buy Victory. Let's Make Americans Great Again !

#15 ·
One of the press releases already said "Polaris will continue to own Victory and technology will be shared across Indian, Slingshot and other platforms".
Maybe they can learn how not to have a fuel system that starts fires.

#16 ·
If the rumor is true and materializes, I'd welcome it. It doesn't really take the American out of it for me as long as all the parts and manufacturing is done here and goes to American workers. Apple is American, yet they do 90% of their manufacturing and supply shopping from Asia. Yami has some deep pockets when it comes to motorcycles even though it's smaller of the big four Japanese companies. I think it would greatly benefit Victory's future.

#19 ·
Yup, wouldn't piss me off either. Perhaps Yamaha can actually do what Pullskullis lied to us all about and take the brand down that performance path.

#17 ·
Not sure why Yamaha would do that, they had a perfectly good Star line of motorcycles that didn't make it. But if they kept the Victory name maybe they feel like they would be shedding that "Metric" perception that kept so many cruiser and touring riders away. What they could do is pair the line down to just a few exclusive models and really focus on building them to be the best that they can be. Something interesting might come of it, because Yam builds a great bike.

So bring back the Cross Roads, Bring back the Pin and Keep the Vegas as your steel framed models, and for the tourer - Take the very best of the Vision and the Cross and build a superior touring platform. 4 models, each built with focus, purpose and lots of accessories like they did the Bolt!

Not reading too much into this, but it is interesting.
What it would do for them is give them a big ready made base just as Polaris did with Indian. But this would mean Indian would not get the faithfuls business, which they probably won't any way.

#25 ·
You're hoping for three new Indian models outright or you're hoping they are rebranded Vics? Please clarify. I don't think anyone with a Vic is worried, concerned, cares, or even likes the idea of three new Indian models at this point, so close to the announcement of BS closure.

#27 ·
According to the Q4 report, they are selling the tooling for Victory. Unless they are selling it to Indian, there will not be any rebranded Victorys with Indian badges.

#29 ·
If Polaris does announce new Polaris Indian models that soon, the killing of the Victory brand decision was very likely made about 18 months ago. Likely as soon as they had the new 'victory' engine about done. In the last 18 months they literally bled Victory dry with the Pikes Peak, Brammo, drag racing and Isle of Man expenditures. Seems like a murder plot to me but what do I know. I'm just a voice on an internet forum.

But the Polaris Indian brand desperately needs some new blood. They're only a few years old and already everything looks the same except for the Scout. Which doesn't look like it even belongs in the lineup because it looks too modern. Oh yea, that's right. It was supposed to be a Victory all along. The Indian brand isn't and shouldn't be locked into an air/oil cooled V-twin either. I kind of expect a new Polaris Indian 'Vision' model with a redesigned frame mounted fairing and larger, Cross bike type saddlebags. Pretty much most of the things many Victory owners have been asking (begging) for for years now.

#30 ·
I would love to see Yamaha buy the Victory Line. Make it in this country with American parts, built by Americans and I'll buy it. Yamaha makes a nice bike, have for a long time and their paint schemes on the Raider are pretty nice. It could be like Honda cars. They have more American parts then the Detroit lines and are made in this country. Bring it on!

#32 ·
I was seriously considering the Raider before I bought the Vegas. It just a little too wide.

Reactions: Dannyboy 75
#34 ·
According to the Q4 report, they are selling the tooling for Victory. Unless they are selling it to Indian, there will not be any rebranded Victorys with Indian badges.
How are the selling the tooling if they're suppose to make parts for 10 years?

• Angry
Reactions: Kurbs
#35 ·
I was seriously considering the Raider before I bought the Vegas. It just a little too wide.
I wanted a Raider, was going to get a Raider. Handling was great, looks were awesome! The problem was, though it's a great bike, it's still a Yamaha and having to look down at the fuel tank to see my speed really bothered me. (Please keep the "you don't need to know how fast you going" gags.)

#40 ·
Yamaha would be a choice as well as Big Dog who I believe have started back up.. either one of them I could see marketing the product, Yamaha would have much deeper pockets though and a delaer network already established...for me though it doesnt matter, I may keep mine just for nostalgia and get the Goldwing... the vision is a nice bike and would have upgraded to a new version but wasn't in the cards.

#41 ·
So is it advantageous for them to sell the tooling to themselves for tax purposes? Vic gets a write off and Indian writes it off as the cost of business. Does the Q4 report say WHO is buying it?

#42 ·
It doesn't say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.