Trouble replacing Vision headlight bulbs

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by RhoXS, Dec 26, 2011.

1. RhoXS

RhoXS Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Vision Tour
    I'm trying to replace my Vision's H4 bulbs with some Hella HB2 bulbs. I expected this to be a simple job, but it has become complicated. Perhaps someone knows how to make it simple again. - I removed the air filter as instructed in the owners manual - I pulled back the moisture boots. I still cannot see the back of the bulb, so I'm working from feel. - Here's where I run into problems...apparently I cannot figure out how to release the retaining clip. Without being able to see it, and with limited space, I hve tried every combination of pushing, pulling and rotating that I can...to no avail. Any hints? Lastly, If I have inadvertantly damaged a clip, how difficult is it to remove the entire headlight assembly?
  2. Freebird

Freebird New Member

2009 Victory Vision
    The clip is held I place with 2 small Phillip head screws. No néad to remove the screws, just loosen 2 Or 3 rounds and the spring wire will come off. The hole for the bulb has a flat side, so only 1 way the bulb will go in. To remove the housing, you remove the mirrors, speakers, turn lenses, and loosen the trim under the headlights. Royal pain. I did this to install the HID headlights.
  3. Freebird

Freebird New Member

2009 Victory Vision
    The headlight assemble is held on by 10mm bolts in rubber mounts, accessed from the back. All the removeing stuff is for access and/or attached to the assembly. Maybe a mirror to see the clipps. I think it would tough to reset the clipps by feel.
  4. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide
    Dissassemble bike, replace bulbs, reassemble bike.....Nothing to it
  5. Rollin

Rollin Active Member

Vision 8-Ball
    It's not easy but it can be done. I only removed the cowl cover to replace the bulbs. It helps if you can see what you are feeling. I installed an HID, this is my old headlight. Remove the plug and pull the rubber cover off. Note the cover tab faces down. [​IMG] The bulbs are held in with spring clips. Push the clip down and move it to the brake lever side of the bike to release it. [​IMG] Lift the clip up and remove the bulb. Do not remove or loosen the screw that holds the clip. [​IMG] [​IMG] Install the new bulb and re-hook the clip. Do not touch the glass on the bulb. Install the rubber cover. Make sure that you can feel all three prongs on the bulb. Note the center terminal on the bulb faces up. Install the plug. [​IMG]
  6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

2011 Vision
    Don't touch the bulbs with your bare hands. The oils in your hand will seriously degrade the bulb. The easiest way to replace the bulbs is to pay your dealer to do it, that's what I did.
  7. RhoXS

RhoXS Member

2011 Vision Tour
    Thanks for the pics. That will be helpful once I get the headlight out of the bike. I don't have a service manual so this is going to go slow.
  8. Rollin

Rollin Active Member

Vision 8-Ball
    It can be done without removing the headlight. If I had to remove the headlight to change the bulb the Vision would be gone! .
  9. vision_nut

vision_nut Active Member

vision
    Its a ***** but taking it apart is the easy but longest. After you take the filter out adjust the headlight up as high as it will go that gives you more romm. OR
  10. RhoXS

RhoXS Member

2011 Vision Tour
    Thanks for the pics, guys! I wish you guys lived close enough to come help. I'm terrified that I'm going to break some this very expensive plastic. More pics of disassembly would be great.
  11. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger New Member

The hardest part for me the FIRST time I changed bulbs was disconnecting the plug from the rear of the bulb. It was like the grease had turned to cement. The second hardest part was trying to figure out the clips the first time. Wish there had been a photo like Rollin just posted. That would have helped. It gets easier to replace them after the first time. But always a pain. Mostly I have them replaced at my dealer - and the mechanic HATES doing them. Good luck!
  12. Bigfoot

Top Poster Of Month

2011 Vision
    The service manual doesn't help much. Your owners manual has better directions. (I have both)
  13. RhoXS

RhoXS Member

2011 Vision Tour
    Finally got both bulbs replaced. I didn't have to disassemble the motorcycle to do it, but it was a PITA because the connectors were so tight and I couldn't figure out the clips until Rollin posted the pics. My hands look like hamburger because of the limited clearance to work. Knowing what I know now, I still think I'd do it myself, but I'd be smarter about a few things. So, here's a simple guide for those who may need it in the future: 1) Refer to the pictures above to see how the clips are made. 2) Remove the air filter 3) Unplug the headlight bulb connector and move the wire out of the way 4) Pull the moisture boot off the back of the headlight and bulb and pull it out. 5) Unclip the bulb; with your index finger, push clip forward and to the right (right if sitting on bike) until it pops back to you. Doesn't have to move much. 6) Once loose, flip the clip up and extract the bulb. Note the orientation. Install is the reverse. All of this sounds easy on paper, but working in the tight space behind the light and in front of the frame is a real pain as noted in the posts above.
  14. RedRyder

RedRyder Member

2009 Victory Vision 10th Anniversary and 1999 V92C
    Thanks. I tried to do it and thought my hands couldn't do it because of severe carpal tunnel. Even with the pics I am sure it will be a challenge. Hold my beer and watch this $hit....
  15. Bigfoot

Top Poster Of Month

2011 Vision
    I really screwed up by not replacing both bulbs at the same time. Less than 2 months after the first bulb burned out the second one bit the dust.