TPMS - Tire-SafeGuard Review

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ArkieBiker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ArkieBiker

ArkieBiker Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Cross Country Tour
    Some of us check our tires daily, some weekly, and some only do it when you take your bike in for service...if you own a touring bike, you are probably the latter. :) Me having a 2012 Cross Country Tourer I would be in the latter group. This also means it is much more difficult get under the bike (especially the rear) to check tire pressures. And while I know that a TPMS does not replace a good TIRE inspection, it does part of the job by checking the tire pressure. So I bought the Tire-SafeGuard and installed it on my bike. I bought the device directly from the website, although they use Amazon.com for checkout. Amazon is usually incredibly SLOOOOW in shipping so I thought there was no way I would have it before a trip I had planned on (last) Sunday. But evidently the order information is directly to the company and 3 days later I get my TPMS in the (priority) mail. The item was packaged very well and included a one page set of instructions. In the box was the LCD monitor, Charging adapter, 2 Tire Pressure monitors, and 2 locknuts. Instructions were simple as was the installation. Basically the hard part (not hard at all) was setting the alarms on the monitor. After setting those alerts (one for the temperatures and one for the pressures), the only thing left to do was to screw the tire pressure monitors onto the valve stems. Once you do that, a wireless signal is sent to the monitor from the sensors. The monitor will alternate the tire pressures and temperatures from the front and back tires. There is a back light for night time viewing. Also a charge on the monitor itself will last 5 DAYS CONTINUOUS use since it has 2 different sleep modes, but it can also be hardwired using a cigarette adapter. I mounted mine on the right handlebar low near the inside of the fairing using a ram mount and just velcroed the monitor to a flat ram mount plate. WORKED VERY WELL. The TPMS arrived the day before I was going on a 2000 mile round trip to the East Coast, so I was able to set my tire pressures to the pressure I use on my bike (38psi on front and 40psi on the back). The tire temps at this point is the same as the ambient temperature. Leaving from Arkansas on a day when it was 75 degrees, the front temperature got up to about 94 degrees at it's highest point, but the rear got up to about 119 degrees. The pressure on the front went from 38psi to about 44psi and the rear went from 40psi to 50psi at its highest point (remember this is with ambient temperatures of only 75 degrees). It will be interesting to see what 100 degree days bring for pressures and temps. OK...so there's not really a lot to explain about the Tire-SafeGuard TPMS other than it worked VERY well. It really gives you piece of mind if you run over something or hit a BIG A$$ pothole like I did a few times and can see what your pressures are when that happens. Or better yet, it's VERY convenient to be able to hop on your bike and see your morning pressures while sitting on the bike. I'm very pleased with my purchase...at $159 for the entire system, I feel like I got my money's worth. Summary of Review Tire-SafeGuard TPMS Monitors BOTH tire pressures and tire temps One charge last 5 days of continuous use Can be hardwired if need be Tech support and Vendor Experience BOTH excellent! Here is the website: http://www.tiresafeguard.com/products.htm Here is the page for ordering: http://www.tiresafeguard.com/prices.htm Wally

2. alexandede

alexandede New Member

'11 Cross Country (The Beast)
    Interestingly I JUST bought this same system and today was my first long ride with them installed. Installation was a breeze and I noticed almost the exact same tire PSI fluctuation you cited. BUT I did one even better and got the model with extra sensors and put a sensor on the rear air shock as well. The big cap fit under the side cover plate with no problem and it works amazingly well. The information I am learning from the rear shock is invaluable and will help me visually see if that pressure is gaining or lessening. (I have had a few experiences where I went to check my sock pressure and it had just about flat-lined... so I think I may actually have a faulty shock). But now I will know for sure when it needs air. I am in the process of brainstorming to create a bracket that can securely mount the unit to my dash. I'll post pics if/when I get a round to that.

3. ArkieBiker

ArkieBiker Member

Cross Country Tour
    Cool...here are some pics of my set up. I may just go ahead and get another sensor (another cool thing about this system...it's expandable), for the shock. Here are my pics...

4. bikerdeano

bikerdeano Well-Known Member

2012 Vegas & 2012 CCT
    So now that you guys have played with yours, what do you think of this one? [link='https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6']TPMS SYSTEM[/link] Is it necessary to have a picture of a Motorbike on the Screen?

5. alexandede

alexandede New Member

Hmmm. Yours only looks 'similar' to mine... perhaps they are a different model. But it is that same concept. I only mention it incase you decide to get the 3rd sensor for the shock, your model might not fit.... I would verify that before you buy it. Plus Mine is NOT expandable... I actually bought the model intended for trikes, and just use the sensor intended for the 3rd tire. It literally has a picture of a trike, but I know which tire on the picture is my shock.

6. alexandede

alexandede New Member

Seems similar. Are you hinting that this one is better for some reason?? Let us know what your personal review is of that other product. Not sure I like how the transmitters have to bolt on separately from the pressure gauges. Plus it doesn't seem like it would be able to have a sensor on the rear air shock. Also it is obviously not necessary to have a picture of the bike on the screen. Those bastarbs never contacted me for my input when they designed the product!

7. ArkieBiker

ArkieBiker Member

Cross Country Tour
    Actually, the one I have from Tire-SafeGuard.com is the Motorcycle Model and cost me $159. In the instructions, it says that I can add sensors. Actually it says that I can have a Trike with a two wheeled trailer (5 sensors). I'm pretty sure that by going into the configuration settings, it will "change" the image on the LCD screen. As for the other poster asking if the "image" is necessary? My opinion would be "NO BUT", but a screen with just numbers and/or letters would be more difficult to see and harder to read. This particular model has a picture of the motorcycle/trike and ALSO the numbers. When a tire goes flat, loses air or is over inflated...you'll see BOTH a number and a VISUAL flashing of the tire along with an icon tell what the problem is with that tire. But again...they are essentially the same in that they report tire pressures.

8. alexandede

alexandede New Member

Just realized, I have the TireGard brand. Not the Tire-Safeguard brand you mentioned. But they seem very similar.