tires?

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by bluethunder11, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bluethunder11

bluethunder11 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 victory cross country
    Ok so i have 7000 miles on my '11 XC and it's looking like it's gonna be time for tires soon and am thinking of swapping from the E3's to me880 metzelers and am wondering what everybody else is running. Recomendations???

2. Victory_XC

Victory_XC New Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Several of us here in the northwest have taken advantage of this deal: http://wingstuff.com/products/34028-gl1800-gold-wing-bridgestone-tire-combo I've got a few hundred miles on the Bridgestones and I think they are way better & quieter than I remember the stock Dunlops being.

3. wesdalton

wesdalton Member

Victory Cross Country
    I have used Metzlers ME 880's on several previous bikes, but all were lighter than my XC. I installed both front and rear ME 880's on my XC and the durability of the tires was terrible. I replaced the front Metz with less than 1000 miles on it due to the sidewall cracking and a bad wear pattern. Metzler (motorcycle superstore) did give me a full credit for a replacement bridgestone. The rear Metzler went 8000 miles before I had to replace it due to no tread left. I just don't think the metzlers handle the weight of the XC. I don't think the bridgestones are going to give me the durability of the E3's. Unless something new comes up I am going back the the E3's for the next go around.

4. lattimer

lattimer New Member

2011 XC
    Coming from a Vulcan 2000 where my rear tire was toast in 4000 miles, I'm actually very happy with the wear of the E3. I have 5000 on my stocker and its still better than half. I'm torn between sticking with the E3 and trying the Bridgestones.

5. Roughrider

Roughrider Member

2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Currently running ME 880's on my Cross Country. At this writing, they have 19,500 miles. Also, exclusivly used ME 880's on my 06' Yamaha Roadstar. Dealer documenation shows an average of 27,000 miles. Everytime it is close to changing tires, research to see if anything as good or better has hit the market. Not yet! Great grip, smooth, quiet and longevity!

6. wesdalton

wesdalton Member

Victory Cross Country
    19500??? You can't count the ones on a trailer

7. vision_nut

vision_nut Well-Known Member

vision
    Just guessing you don't check your air pressure very often or you have a cheap tire gauge. I had 14 thousand on mine before I went to the Metzler. Well I think there a better tire. Buy a good gauge and and get on your knees once a month and check your air.

8. Roughrider

Roughrider Member

2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Concur with vision_nut!!! Also use that same gauge. Accurate!

9. wesdalton

wesdalton Member

Victory Cross Country
    Well, you would have guessed wrong. I check the tires at least twice a week. If I am on a longer ride or a trip, I check them daily. (and by checking them I mean putting the bike on a lift, rotating both the front and rear tire 360* and not only doing a air pressure check but also doing a full visual inspection for any imperfections with tread wear or anything that has pierced the tire.) As far as a tire gauge I use three. One a biker highway digital gauge, Two a snap on tools analog rotary dial gauge, and three I have a Biker Highway TPS monitoring system that checks the air pressure every two minutes to see if either the air pressure or the tire temperature has gone above the preset safety range. After riding well over one million miles on many different brands of motorcycles, I DON'T GUESS with air pressure. That being said, if I were to guess, I would guess that you may be mistaking miles for kilometers, or more that likely your are just full of B.S. ( if you don't agree Google tire life on any large cruiser regardless of the brand.) Your claim of 19000 + miles with more to go is quite unbelievable. But when you say that somewhere a dealer says thet 26000 miles is the norm, you are in a dreamworld.

10. bluethunder11

bluethunder11 Member

I've been checking mine twice a week as well as with two different guages. But i'm not easy on her at all. 8000 miles isn't bad to me considering having ridden sport bikes that were lucky to get more than 3500 on a tire.

11. wesdalton

wesdalton Member

Victory Cross Country
    I agree it is en your perception of what you expect out of the tire. The Metzlers handle excellent, great in the rain and due to the fact that they agreed to replace my front tire with a full credit toward another tire, they did well by me. I just put too many miles on my XC in a year to be satisfied with 8K miles before I need to replace them. I plan on doing a 6k mile ride this summer, and I don't want to replace the tires before I leave even if they are still rideable in order to avoid a mid trip replacement. I am keeping a look out on the new Michelin Commander tires and hope they will soon make them in a radial size to fit my bike.

12. bluethunder11

bluethunder11 Member

With the deal that wingstuff is offering I just ordered a fresh set of "stones"(lmao). The reviews are great on them and from everything i've read so far the mileage is around 12-15k. And I would be ecstatic with that.

13. Truckfarmer

Truckfarmer New Member

Victory Cross Country
    I replaced my stock wheels and Dunlops at 10,000 miles (more for new rims than tires). The Dunlops scared teh hell out of me on tar snakes. Never had a bike react totar snakes like my XC did stock. Running Metzeler 880 now. Got 13,000 out of the rear and currently have 17,000 on the front. Expecting to change it before Sturgis

14. bluethunder11

bluethunder11 Member

Hey thats good info because your not the only one that gets freaked out by damn tar snakes! And if it's just the dunlops i'm good.

15. ZZedmonds

ZZedmonds Active Member

2010 Cross Country
    My Dunlops made it to 18,000 miles. Now I have the Bridgestones from Wingstuff on mine. They are awesome!