Tips on Removing Baffles from Swept Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Victory Kingpin' started by gfoulke, May 19, 2010.

1. gfoulke

gfoulke New Member

I have an 07 KP with Stage 1 swept exhaust. I am toying with the idea of removing the baffles in the pipes (a louder bike is a safer bike). I have a few questions before I dive in that I would love your feedback on:

Is this a fairly simple procedure (a DIY project)?
    How do I do it?
    Is it reversible?
    Does the EFI have to be flashed after the baffles are removed?
    Thanks in advance for your help on this!

~greg
  2. gfoulke

gfoulke New Member

Has anyone performed any mods to make their KP louder? Maybe removing the baffles isn't the way to go, but what steps have you taken to ensure other drivers notice you?
  3. Sutherland

Sutherland Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    08 Kingpin/2013 CCT

How load do you want your bike too be, loud is good within reason. Thelouder the bike the safer the bike is BS, Only the driver can make a safe bike
    Regards
  4. gfoulke

gfoulke New Member

Thanks for your reply, Sutherland. I want the bike louder because I hear most Harleys coming before I see them and am ready for them, thus they are more noticeable (safer). Being noticeable to other cars is a key to safety on a bike. I am an insurance adjuster and see crashed cruisers as [part of my job about 3-4 times per week. The most common story from riders is "The car turned right in front of me... never knew I was there!"

My swept pipes have a great sound, but are more quiet than I had hoped. I don't want to rattle the neighborhood, but I would like to be heard if I can't be seen.
  5. Sutherland

Sutherland Active Member

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT
    Don't know about your area but there are a lot of places inposing noise bylaws to discourage this procedure and a lot of place it is illegal to remove baffles Regards
  6. onerider

onerider New Member

Well one of mine out fell when bike was new and it sounded likke crap, sort of like a big rig jake brake on decell, and worse on accelleration. Replaced with santa rosa baffles, sounds better and a little louder. Dont recomend running without baffles, new louder pipes are the answer but cost $............
  7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 New Member

Kingpin Touring
    Yes,one of mine fell out last week on the road. I let cool a bit and tossed it in the side bag. Is there a trick to getting them in and having them stay in? My pipe drags on RH turns, so I'm guessing that's why it came out...
  8. BBob

BBob Active Member

11 XC, 04 KP
    Yes. Just use Loctite on the nut and bolt holding it in. Drill a new hole on the back side if need be.
  9. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 New Member

Kingpin Touring
    Got it, Thanks! I replaced the missing bolt with a Hex, and the Nut is welded to the baffle, so the tricky part was getting the baffle back in and lining up the hole.