Tinnitus sux

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CaliPhil, Dec 22, 2016.

1. davonwav

davonwav Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vic Cross Country Tour
    136 Db?!! That's really high SPL's I'm amazed you can still hear. I've read 122Db on stage once playing guitar. I recall bending over to pick up a tangled cable and the pressures from a bass amp make ya' dizzy for a few seconds. Problem is you build up a tolerance for high Db's and don't feel it's way too loud when it actually is! Listening to headphones is another culprit especially in recording studios for hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Luciferiad

Luciferiad Active Member

2011 Crimson Cross Roads
    Send me my membership card.

13 years in automotive service. Blew up a tire once, ruptured my left eardrum. Was in a car accident in 2001. Ruptured my right eardrum. Played in a bar band for 5 years with the loudest damn drummer I've ever heard. I have this lovely ringing in my right ear now. Left is okay still.

I think part of it is also from some medications that cause neuropathy too, but I'm not sure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. davonwav

davonwav Active Member

Vic Cross Country Tour
    Yep drummers with one dynamic: Ape Hammer! Neuropathy and meds can exacerbate it for sure (ototoxicity). Our small isolated bones in the ear harden as well which adds to it. But no bitchin' after all I put our ears through.. I can still hear my 4 yr old angel g-child so I'm good~!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  4. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    I only got it that loud once after installing, tuning it, and testing how loud it would get.
    I had removed the rear seat and fiberglassed a giant frankenbox made of mostly HD particleboard and screws. Somehow missed the brake lines several times.
    I had a bridged amp per corner, and for the two 18" pro subs an amp per sub.
    Back then I listened to a lot of rap and after a minute or two the volume would go back down to a normal level.

5. Boarhunter

Boarhunter Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Highball
    A pistol shooter for the last 43 years; yes, I have it too. Also, deaf in my left ear and hear poorly in my right... I chalk it up to living life large for a very long time.

BOARHUNTER

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. festes73

festes73 Active Member

KINGPIN
    Your stereo isn't very loud either;)
    I have it too:(
    Too many years of field work on the farm in my younger days. Left year is worse , I figure that is from the AC not working and driving the JD 4440 with door open. That tractor had dual wheels with power shift. What a beast!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. Pariah

Pariah New Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball and a 2017 Octane
    I have it since I was in my early 30's...30 years ago. Not sure I know why I got it. 20 years in Army maybe? Never wearing hearing protection when working with machinery? Riding a bike for 12 years? Loud music listened to through old Koss headphones? High blood pressure? Maybe all the above. It does seem to be louder when the BP is higher! The high squeal is annoying as hell but I can tune it out for the most part. I'm looking to find an effective earplug system that will limit any further damage from wind rush while riding. In fact, that search is what brought me to this thread.

If anyone could answer a couple questions, it may be helpful to me and others:

1. Lipoflavinoid/Magnesium: has anyone used them and found them to work? How long did it take before you noticed a change? Did anyone take them for 60 - 90 days and quit because there was no change? I trust answers from the folks here far more than those I would find Googling for answers.

2. I have been researching a good earplug that is noise isolating (not noise canceling) and has Bluetooth to connect to music/phone. I don't always wear a helmet so an earbud-type that works (I.e., won't blow out while riding) with either no helmet or a 1/2 helmet (without the speaker pockets) is what I'm looking for. I've been researching various types over the last 3 weeks in an effort to save my hearing and yet make long rides a little more enjoyable (with the music). Seems I haven't found what I'm looking for (sorry Bono). I've seen everything from cheap Chinese ones for under $20 on Amazon to Sure or Westone earphones for upwards of $300. So if anyone has used a good earphone/earbud that meets this criteria, I'd appreciate a reply.

8. Ed E

Ed E Member

2016 XCT
    Like many, I have it too. Not sure how, other than a mis-spent youth.

Pariah, I've tried Lipoflavinoid and it didn't work for me, but nothing has. My doc says if you try something and you don't notice a difference in 90 days, then don't waste your money any further...

I use Eargasm earplugs that you can buy on Amazon for about $20. They are ok, and they are helpful on long trips. I usually don't use them around town.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Pariah

Pariah New Member

Thanks Ed E! I appreciate the advice. I'll go check those earplugs out.

10. Pariah

Pariah New Member

Those Eargasm earplugs are on the way. Thanks for the advice.

11. Ed E

Ed E Member

2016 XCT
    Hope you find some relief with them. They cut the dbs but still allow you to hear what you need to....