Tinnitus sux

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CaliPhil, Dec 22, 2016.

1. CaliPhil

CaliPhil Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    06 Vegas 8ball
    As a child I had allot of ear aches and infections. IMO this is what left me with Tinnitus. I have had it as long as I can remember. I have good and bad days but for some reason I seem to be having more bad lately. Trying to go to sleep last night was rough. It's like I have someone whistling as loud as they can in my ears. Daytime is usually better but at times I find myself mentally exhausted trying to ignore the sound. Do any of you have this? Have you ever found anything that helps?

2. nickr914

nickr914 Well-Known Member

I have always had something, but mine got bad on my ride to Daytona in 2012... War plugs, full faced helmet, all of a sudden after 7 hours riding on the superslab, this loud squealing started happening, I speed up slow down, doesn't change... I pull over, still, shutdown the bike, that's when I noticed it was in my head it was so bad I had to remove the ear plugs.... I've been to the Dr, and audiologist, hearing is perfect except for that high pitch sound.... I sleep when I get tired enough....

Before this it was a low tone buzz when it was silent, so lil noise kept it ok

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CrossBuck

CrossBuck Active Member

I have had it for years....IMO mine was the result of motorcycle riding W/O ear plugs in my youth ? I wear them now...but that is a'kin to closing the door after the horse has left.....

Nothing I have tried [mostly drops & vitamin B-12]... has helped....however , there is a commercial on TV for Lipoflavonoid . If I recall correctly it says , follow dosing instructions for 4-6 months and it will provide relief. I think for a few $$ I'll try it.

Mine ears are screaming now.......:(

4. nickr914

Well there's 3 of us with our tinnitus screaming.... Go figure

5. Old-Gramps

Old-Gramps Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    If it is like a constant ringing in the ears, then make that four......

6. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Active Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014

Supplementing Mg and Taurine is a safe and effective way to reduce tinnitus.

Order from purebulk.com and add 1/4 tsp of each to your daily drinking
    water bottle.

George Eby says that magnesium glycinate is pretty good stuff.

Adequate Mg protects against artherioscherosis, heart irregularities,
    soft tissue calcification, mental depression, and hormone
    deficiencies.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. ssc8s

ssc8s Member

2013 Vision
    Welcome to the club gentlemen. 10 years of flying Army helicopters and airplanes is the culprit for me. From what I have been told, there is not much you can do about it. I have recently started wearing hearing aids and have learned that there are some models that have a "tinnitus mode" that supposedly teaches your brain to ignore it, but I don't have any first hand knowledge or experience with them. If anyone discovers a way to get relief, I would be very interested in hearing (no pun intended) about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. nickr914

Ya, I Donno what did it to me, I have tinnitus for over 20 years, guns, explosives, bikes, cars, lawn gear who knows.... This loud screaming **** just kinda hard to deal with, only way I've deal with it is to just move on, I go to sleep when I'm tired enough... Dr told me just to ignore it or he can put me on anti psychotics.... Like WTF, just what I need on my record......

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I fall asleep with the tv on. Mine's not bad and low volume background noise makes it easy to ignore. Loud pipes on the bike definitely aggravate it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. davonwav

davonwav Active Member

Vic Cross Country Tour
    Mine came from playing guitar in bars for 10 years while in college. It got worse when I got the Vic, so Howard Leight 32db ear plugs (Gander Mtn.) really helped. People just can't imagine waking up to LOUD crickets when there are no dalm crickets. Head, neck, & TMJ injury can cause it as well. The TMJ, first vertebra, and middle ear are clustered very close together. High BP can cause it so I'd check that for sure.
    Many swear by advertised cures, just as many swear at them. Worth a shot though!

11. CrossBuck

CrossBuck Active Member

As I have heard , all that you noted can make it worse....along with sinus congestion [which I have] and B/P meds [which I take]......

12. davonwav

davonwav Active Member

Vic Cross Country Tour
    Yea the BP .issue...strange HBP can cause it & BP meds can as well. Check other meds as many cause it. In rare cases Meziere's disease this is often the first sign...middle ear problem and not fun! The emergency room situation is "turbulent" sounds like a swooshing, especially lying down...usually severe Carotid artery blockage. If so, you need an experienced vascular surgeon quick cause you are on the verge of a serious stroke. My father had a 90% blockage.. high risk surgery...cleaning it out without letting a piece get away .... stroke!
    Wear those ear plugs guys no matter your age!

13. asicrunner

asicrunner Member

Cross Country Tour
    its always there, had it for years, I am able to block it out with background noise.

14. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    My doctor says Lipo-flavonoid doesn't work. Well, I take it every day with my regular meds. If I don't, a week later my ears are ringing at twice the level. So, I take it every day. Mine started at about 40 years old. I credit it to a few hundred thousand gun shots over my lifetime or loud music or self abuse. One or all of those. But it is a horrible problem.

Wind noise aggravates it a lot by the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. davonwav

davonwav Active Member

Vic Cross Country Tour
    Yea not unusual for docs say no to what works. Yep Sax those gun reports is another one on the list. I certainly agree with wind noise because often it doesn't sound too loud but constant. I have heard nothing but good things with Lipo-flavinoid. The 3 bones of middle ear can harden with age & Lipo-F is said to increase circulation. Trivia: those 3 bones are the same size as when we were born..hammer, anvil, and stapes.

• Agree Agree x 1