Thoughts from a Buell rider...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by moonrunrs, Jan 11, 2017.

1. moonrunrs

moonrunrs New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Buell Firebolt
    I have been a long time lurker on this board and just joined. For the past month, I was shopping for a used Vic Vegas because I test rode and loved the bike and wanted a cruiser in addition to my 03 Buell Firebolt, which I intend to keep and ride until it no longer runs.

I feel empathy with all you Vic owners. In 09 we were all devastated when HD closed Buell and we thought it would be the end. Well, it is true that in 2017 parts are getting just a bit harder to find and most of the online Buell only retailers are no longer around, but really not much changed for myself or the Buell community. I just kept riding my XB9R which I have had for over 10 years now. I have never had a problem with service, getting parts, maintenance etc. for it. Nothing has changed for me before or after the company's closure and I now have over 47K miles on the Firebolt. It is my daily commuter to work here in sunny Los Angeles.

With that, I still intend on buying a Vegas because I believe the experience will be much like my Buell: nothing will change for years and I can still ride one into the ground. I am stoked because now I can get one for even cheaper. I went to my local Vic/Indian dealer and checked out the service dept. (this is before the announcement) and all seemed well. I talked with the service manager and a sales guy and was confident in them and their business. I have not called them since the announcement but I know they will still be around in the future; they also sell and service Indians and Harleys under the same roof.

Like all you current Vic riders, all us Buell people vowed to never buy Harley and in 09 we were all saying we were going to buy Victory. Really, we were. I would buy either at this point, but I believe the Vic is a better bike and I can get one cheaper. I know there is a lot of shock and anger among the Vic community but I think it will be exactly like us Buellers - nothing will change for years and we will all just keep riding and riding our bikes. Yes, our bikes lost a great amount of value after the announcement and became extremely difficult to sell or trade in, but I didn't care. I buy to ride them into the ground. I put SO much thought and deliberation into my next bike purchase just because I intend to keep it for the full life of the vehicle and ride it to death, so that is why I chose Victory as my first cruiser.

So...you will probably see me more on this board after I buy my Vegas. I will have questions about customization oil changes and the clutch cable. Hope you all can help me out.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Joe7Brothers

Joe7Brothers New Member

Buell 1125CR
    Yep, I ride a Buell (1125CR). The difference, though I suspect it won't matter, is Polaris "says" they will support Victory for 10 years; that, I doubt. However, I'm also looking for a Victory, Hammer in particular, for the same reasons I bought a Buell - excellent bike in their own way, and outstanding value for money which, with the shutdown news, will probably mean even lower prices near-term as well as in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jsandgren10

jsandgren10 New Member

I'm pretty sure by law they have to maintain the parts support for the 10 years unless Polaris goes belly up. Its not like they went bankrupt. Its just like say Pontiac. GM was the parent company and even though they dropped Pontiac they still have to have OEM parts available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Joe7Brothers

Joe7Brothers New Member

Buell 1125CR
    I think I'm going to hurt everyone's feeling with this: I can find NO requirement for a manufacturer of anything being required to provide replacement parts unless that item/vehicle carries a warranty, and then only for the length of the warranty. So, if your under warranty bike develops a leaking fork seal, then the manufacturer must provide parts and service; out of warranty and the parts are NLA, you're out of luck. As far as Pontiac, Oldsmobile and GM, the only reason SOME parts are available is because those parts are used across GM divisions; try and buy an OEM body panel or a piece of trim, and you'll likely be out of luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. roadbum

roadbum Member

Victory Octane
    This is an excellent time to buy Victory. They are awesome and bulletproof. You can save BIG bucks. It really sucks for us that paid good money and I wish that I was the buyer right now. Take advantage! Better shop around

• Like Like x 1