Suggested Octane???

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by X-NYPD, May 19, 2017.

1. X-NYPD

X-NYPD New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Cross Country 8 Ball
    So, here’s the problem: I have been using ethanol free 93 octane since day one in my 2016 CC 8 Ball. I refuse to use fuel with ethanol. There are two gas stations nearby that sold it (same company “Dakota”). Yesterday I went to fill up and they placed a piece of tape with the octane rating of 90. They are a pain in the azz because you have to go inside and pay first or leave a credit card when the pumps are glitchy. If you are lucky to pay outside the pumps are first generation digital pads (I’m talking liquid displays) that need hulk fingers to operate and the slightest light bleaches the digits out.

Now there is a modern Exxon and a BP station nearby (even more convenient right near my exit) that has ethanol free 89 octane (plus fuel). Seeing that the pain in the azz gas station is only rated 1 octane higher, would 89 screw me up. (Yes, I know about pre-detonation, slow burning blah blah blah technical high vs. low octane). Also, I live in a low elevation area.

So, final question (sorry about long way to get here), anyone have any difficulty with 89 octane???

2. tree1979

tree1979 Well-Known Member

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Nope. Use the lowest octane that doesn't cause pinging. Higher octane does not mean better gas, just more resistant to detonation due to compression. You only need higher octane with higher compression.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ronmoll

ronmoll Active Member

2016 Cross Country Tour
    I've been using Shell 90 octane ethanol free because it's Shell, so it's Top Tier detergent gasoline. When I'm in a rush I use Raceway gas (not Top Tier) but it's 87 octane ethanol free. The bike runs exactly the same with the 87 octane vs the 90 octane. I prefer the Shell because it "should" keep the engine cleaner than the other stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision
    download puregass app to find more stations.
    you'll be fine with 89 using 93 makes motor run hotter

5. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    So, just to be clear, gasoline that has a higher flash point and burns slower -- will make the engine run hotter? I would love to see the technical explanation of that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    If I may...

I have tried lots of fuels... never noticed a damned bit of difference. Bike runs great on convenience store (Sheetz) 93 octane w/10% ethanol. Mowers, weed eaters, generators... no issues so far using 10% ethanol 87 octane.

I guess what I'm asking here is why should I go to great lengths to avoid it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheMick

TheMick Member

2016 XCT, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird SE
    I have run 89 from day 1 and have no issues. I also average 43 mpg (My riding style). When California temps warm up I may need to bump up to 91.

8. X-NYPD

X-NYPD New Member

Cross Country 8 Ball
    I'm familiar with TOP Tier gas, unfortunately no one sells ethanol free Top Tier near me. I use Top Tier for all my other vehicles because I'm not concerned with the ethanol content, however bikes are notorious for retaining water. I'm sure there is water in my car tanks but for what ever reason it is kryptonite to a bikes tank. I carry an anti-ethanol additive in case I'm on the road and have no choice but to use gas with ethanol. I'm gonna download "puregass app" and see what pops up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Usafle

Usafle Member

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Learn something new everyday. I was under the assumption that you have to use 90 octane or above. I'm coming from a H-D Night Rod Special (and I also drive a SRT) so I'm always "programmed" to use the higest octane avail at the pump.
    You're all saying that the bike will run fine on "normal" pump gas??