Stage 2 - What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Victory Vegas' started by spicoli512, Feb 27, 2012.

1. spicoli512

spicoli512 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vegas 8-ball
    Well this is going to show you exactly how much knowledge I have of motorcycle mechanics, which is not much at all. My previous bike was carburated and I had heard of folks getting after market pipes and air boxes thus requiring a stage 1 or 2 rejet. I have heard that the 2012 Victory cruisers come with a stage 2 kit out of the factory. What does this mean? I don't think my bikes performance and sound is drastically different than an 2011? I had done some "searching" but most of the conversations were between folks that know what they are talking about so not much explanation for the noob. Sorry for the ignorance.
  2. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    First off they come from the factory stock regardless of what the marketing department calls a slightly different cam grind. Stage 1 to me is pipes, air filter and a richer flash or fuel controller. Stage 2 to me is a stage 1 set-up plus aftermarket cams. Stage 3 to me is all of the above and changing the internals of the motor with high compression pistons, big bore, etc..
  3. dsjr

dsjr New Member

08 Vegas Low - Yamaha RD-350 - 2012 Victory High Ball
    Stage 2 is just a different cam from the factory. I dont believe anything else changes.
  4. bikendad

That's just marketing hype, not what most people consider to be a true stage 2 set-up.
  5. dsjr

dsjr New Member

He asked about an out of the factory Stage 2. The only difference from the factory is the Stage 2 cams?
  6. spicoli512

spicoli512 Member

Vegas 8-ball
    Are updated cams typically included in what most people call a "stage 2" upgrade? I always associated the stage 1/2 upgrade having to do with exhaust, Air box, jets / fuel programming. This is why I'm confused.
  7. dsjr

dsjr New Member

Stage 1 is the high flow K&N filter, exhaust and calibration card. Stage 2 is really not a factory option. There is a Stage 2 big bore kit similar to HD. Now to confuse the situation more there is a Stage 1 Level 2 kit that is available for the Vision. It is the same as a Stage 1 with different mufflers.
  8. bikendad

In my world, pipes, air box/filter, fuel programmer or flash are all stage 1 modifications. When you start getting into cams then you've gone stage 2 IMHO. The stage 2 factory cams are hype, not much difference.
  9. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide
    Back when Vic sold 92" engines it went like this.. S1=pipes, air filter, vented cover, program S2= S1+ big bore 100" cyls, pistons, and a different program When the 100" came stock the S2 was dropped since they were already big bore, but... Then they came out with a cam and intake package, and called it S3 In 08-09 all that was available was different versions of S1, and briefly Vic called the 106 stroker a S2 In 10 Vic started putting the 106" in steel frame bikes, and had a different grind cam they ran as stock and called it a S2. All it really did was move the torque curve up a couple of hundred RPM Everything else is stage nothing. Just a series of aftermarket parts assembled for an engine package to an owners design
  10. spicoli512

spicoli512 Member

Vegas 8-ball
    thank you Don, Biken, and Kevin
  11. azbeez

azbeez New Member

2011 Victory Vegas
    As it was explained to me, for the 2011s. The stage 2 is the cam put into all 106 engines in the cruiser class, putting out 97hp/113lbs of torque. The stage 1 is the cam put into the 106 engines in the touring class bikes, putting out 94hp.
  12. ndabunka

ndabunka Member

2011 Ness Cross Country
    You are basically saying the same thing DSJR stated but I've never heard of anyone "ordering" an XC with a Stage 2. Has anyone on hear heard of it? I can understand the option but just never seen anyone actually do it. I guess the question would be the cost of that option.
  13. dsjr

dsjr New Member

Just a thought, do people not do it because if they do a cam job they go with Lloydz or S&S cams? Like I said, just a thought.