Someone please slap me with some common sense

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Matthew, May 29, 2012.

1. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Dreams and wishes, no bike yet
    The math for me just isn't adding up, I'm fully aware that the vision is arguably the finest cross bike out there. It's the most comfortable bike in victory's lineup and the frame mounted fairing is an aerodynamics marvel, sure the styling is hit or miss but functionality can't be argued now, I've got several buyers alerts set up on chopper exchange sent to my inbox daily so why are the visions selling for LESS than the cr and cc? The vision was I believe only out a year prior to the other cross bikes so what would be the rationale behind this?

2. dsjr

dsjr New Member

08 Vegas Low - Yamaha RD-350 - 2012 Victory High Ball
    The Vision is a few years older then the Cross bikes. The Croos bikes came out in 2010, the Vision 2008 (I believe).

3. GaryTJ

GaryTJ Member

2012 cross country tourer
    The cross bikes are a more popular design than the Vision. More demand = higher prices. There is a reason they leaped ahead of the vision in sales.

4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Hard to give you an apples to apples common sense slapping without more specifics. BUT I believe you will find 08 and 09 Visions selling 'relatively' cheap as a lot of those bikes are entering the trade market. In two more years I suspect you will see 4-5 year old Cross bikes selling at similar price ranges. I also think if you look at 1-2 year old bikes, Visions and Crosses, I think you'll see a similar depreciation percentage.

5. dsjr

dsjr New Member

08 Vegas Low - Yamaha RD-350 - 2012 Victory High Ball
    Actually just thinking about it, it really does make sense. The Vision came out at a bad time for bikes in general. Victory was discounting them deeply to help dealers get rid of old inventory. I believed I walked out the door with my 09 Vision when the 10's came out for under $17k. So it can only go down from there.

6. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Also keep on mind that 1-2 year old bikes are often upside down or close to it, so asking prices are usually pretty high. 4-5 year old bikes, if money is still owed it's low so sellers will be more likely to take a lower price so they can acquire their next obsession.

7. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision,Slingshot
    08 was the first year, they started taking orders in 07. The 09 can be fitted with reverse The 10 has the redesigned seat and ABS as an option The 11 has ABS standard and the improved Trans The 12 has less stock goodies and a lowerd base MSRP 20,999.00

8. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Well, this is about as specific as I can get, I just flat out want a cross bike. During the demo days near us, my wife and I only had enough time to ride 2 bikes, the 'pin and the 'roads. I just wanted to see the differences between the two frame styles. Initially, my wife was just happy as a lark with the pin until we hopped on the 'roads and was in love with it with one exception: the model we rode had no backrest. So, obvious choice (new) would be a 'roads. I've never been one to like depreciation so I try to buy used or near to new as a leftover model that hasn't sold yet. I hit up chopper exchange and set up buyer alerts for cross bikes all years all trim levels. I'm seeing used first year cross roads going for high 16's low 17's with only bags and front tipover nothing else. Cross countrys are going two to three k above the roads, but the vision tour/comfort/premiums with less than 20k miles are running between 11 and 14k. For me, okay yes I can buy the argument that the full depreciation level HAS hit the first and second year visions, but with all the features on the vision vs the cr and cc, it just kind of made my brain go "wtf". I'm not arguing against the vision whatsoever, I know that it's well worth whatever you pay for it, I know that my spouse would prefer a crossroads out of lack of knowledge of the ride on the vision, but if I can swing a vision at 2-4k less than the a roads, marriage vows or not, that's money that doesn't have to be spent that stays in the checking acct and with the interstate speed limits here in tx being 75 and most drivers doing 90 and having to go 80+ to safely stay caught up with traffic, I know what I'm going to do. Feature for feature, pound for pound, the vision is a bargain. The styling still hurts my head but as katt williams once said in a stand up routine "here's a little secret about spinners, YOU CAN'T SEE THEM SPIN WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING". My 200 mile ride with my local crew of victory riders taught me what that vision can do and I'll happily do what I have to to get one. Is it traditional cruiser styling like the 'roads? Nope, but with my wife being the daughter of a cop and being raised around motor officers and cringes at the cross country, that leaves either the vision or the roads and if I can find a vision cheaper than any available cross roads, I'll slap the money down and deal with the forgiveness later.

9. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision,Slingshot
    The Vision has a very good pillion Donna falls asleep in it too often

10. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I love my Pin and won't part with it, but we hope to ADD a tour bike in the near future for 2-up. At first we were thinking Cross Country and rode one at the AVR, because I preferred it's looks. and then we rode the Vision. My better half informed me that this IS the bike I will be buying to take her on rides with. That was a year ago. Now I actually kinda like the looks of the Vision. Get her out for a ride on one and let the deals take care of themselves!

11. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Right now, we're in the process of trying to get moved from houston to austin, but I already know that my new dealer will be napalm powersports. I just have to wait for demo days to get to that dealership after we've finalized the move. I'll have to talk her into trying out the vision. I've more or less gotten it semi angled in how to do it since at the demo days, one of the victory reps brought over a cc with the lock & ride backrest which she tried out and loved. So I'm guesssing that next demo days we attend a test ride with a lock 'n' ride then a ride on a vision with the top box should seal the deal. By the way, and this may very well be a moot point since the cross bikes all use the same frame, but does the vision have more passenger legroom than the cr and cc or is it just the adjustable floorboard that is offered as an option through pure victory gear? (i.e. same part, it just comes on the vision)

12. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Adjustable floorboards are a XR -XC new for 2012 item that can be retrofitted to older Cross bikes, not Visions. The frames on these bikes are close but not identical. The seats are different and the "tour pak" on the Vision does wrap around the passenger just a little more than the trunk on a Cross.

13. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    The Cross bikes are simply much hotter sellers, supply and demand. The Cross bikes have put Victory on the map in a big way since their release, before that sales for Victory were stale at best.

14. Keith Grey

Keith Grey Grouchy Old Member

2010 ABS Vision
    Get the Vision, it has not been my only ugly ride, but it has complained the least

15. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    The trunk comes off the Vision, so you get two bikes in one.