Soft Lower Fairings

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by lpd308, May 19, 2011.

1. lpd308

lpd308 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Cross Country
    I have had my cross country for 2 weeks now and am working on eliminating the buffeting. I also do a fair share of cold weather riding in the Mid-west and am looking for the best wind protection possible. I have replaced the windshield and have ordered the lower fork mounted wind deflectors. I am looking for the soft crash bar close-outs that look like they strap on. I have seen some pictures of the soft crash bar close-outs but I can't seem to find them on the internet for purchase or on the victory accessory web site. Can anyone tell me where to find them? What are the reviews on these and are they worth the money? I have not asked the dealer yet as I was hoping to save a little money and buy on-line. Thanks!
  2. Bigmex

Bigmex New Member

All I can say is the soft lowers are great for cold weather riding. Love them. I got mine from the dealer and haven't seen any lately. I would like to buy another one just incase it gets damaged. Looks like I'll have to go to the dealer and buy one.
  3. Nacho

Nacho New Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    [link='http://www.copowersports.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Victory&year=2011&fveh=39670&mfg=Victory&partnumber=2878108']http://www.copowersports.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Victory&year=2011&fveh=39670&mfg=Victory&partnumber=2878108[/link] There's where I order pretty much everything (link should take you right to the Soft Lowers for the forged highway bar on the XC or XR). These are definitely worth the $90 I spent on them (I ordered them with another part and got free shipping). I keep them on my bike for highway miles and they really are great. Rode 700 miles Monday and it was all smooth (and almost all at 75-80 MPH). Attached pick shows the front of my bike (white), also GlennD's bike (another VOG.net member).
  4. lpd308

lpd308 New Member

Victory Cross Country
    Nacho, Thanks for the link and info!
  5. Nacho

Nacho New Member

No problem. As a note, I rode with GlennD today (mentioned above) and I was riding behind him and noticed that his shirt was really whipping around (we were doing 60-65ish on SC/GA highways). I looked at mine, and it was rippling a bit but the soft lowers really cut the wind down. You still get a bit of a breeze, but I think the majority of buffeting does come from below. I rode the bike about 2000 miles before I put on the lowers and about 1300 miles since. I'll take them off for around town, but anymore than 50 or so freeway/highway miles and I'm putting them back on (it takes about 3 minutes to put them on if that, about 20 seconds to take them off, no tools needed).
  6. ammo_umb

ammo_umb Member

2011 Cross Roads (Crimson)
    I have the soft lowers and love them when it's cold. I rode every day this winter that the roads were clear and snow wasn't forecasted. A bunch of days in the 30's and never got cold in city driving. The bad part is that my gas mileage dropped close to 10MPG while they were on.
  7. Nacho

Nacho New Member

My display says I'm getting about 45 MPG with mine on during the trip. According to what I'm putting in the tank, it sounds about right. I don't remember getting 55 MPG with them off on the freeway. I'm sure my gas mileage has dropped a bit with them on there, but don't think it is 10 MPG. Definitely worth it though for long rides.
  8. srenna54

srenna54 New Member

In the summer, would these interfere with the air needed to cool the engine?
  9. Nacho

Nacho New Member

Rode 700 miles yesterday starting from Augusta GA, and had no issues. It was pretty hot the whole way to St Louis. Temps in the high 80s. The soft lowers may actually help funnel more air in to the oil cooler and around the bottom of the engine.
  10. Jagular

Jagular New Member

I rode with them all winter and loved them. They fully eliminate buffeting with lowers and a better shield. In fact, I hated removing them when it turned warm. The heat around my legs became too much during those rides when the temps were in the upper 60s, 70s. I didn't notice any reduction in gas mileage. For $90, it's one of the least expensive, best upgrades you can buy.
  11. Nacho

Nacho New Member

I did notice the heat on my legs...especially when we hit rush hour traffic in Nashville and slowed down to a screeching halt. Temp on the bike showed it was about 88ยบ out. One thing I just remembered, was when we were riding down on Monday, it was in the low 40s, I was in full leathers, thick gloves and a half helmet. My hands got cold, my fully exposed face did not.
  12. BigDaddy

BigDaddy New Member

I like the idea of the lowers but don't those big wind block kill you mileage??
  13. Nacho

Nacho New Member

I don't think they do. I'm not sure what kind of mileage you are getting on your XC, but I was getting about 45-47 MPG on the freeway (75-80 MPH) on my trip to and from Augusta GA. For this trip I had myself (150 lbs), my son (90 lbs), trunk attached and filled with a weeks worth of stuff for both of us. I have the soft lowers. This mileage was not based solely on the display (which seemed very accurate and I reset it several times to make sure old data was cleared out), but on the fact that if I got gas after 180 miles I was putting in just at 4 gallons of gas.
  14. ammo_umb

ammo_umb Member

2011 Cross Roads (Crimson)
    Nacho, I ride a XR and don't have that fancy instant fuel economy guage. I do they math after filling up and I was in mid to high 30's on the mpg. Now keep in mind that's 45 mph city driving into the wind most of time. You were here so you know that you can ride into the wind on the way to work and when you head out for lunch the wind changes so you ride into it again. Wind is a prerequisite when the AF decides where to build bases. They got it right on Hill! Worse part is being between 2 mountain ranges; you never know what the weather is going to be like. Example: it snowed last Thursday in Morgan. All last week and most of this week Morgan and upper Utah have been fighting flooding from snowpack melt off.
  15. Nacho

Nacho New Member

To be honest, I normally rely on the display, and typically the average MPGs. The instant MPGs varies too much to try to get any sort of reading from. However, on this last trip I took, I was resetting the first trip meter every time I filled up and did the math from that. I would also reset the average MPGs meter after every fill up, and it appears that the average MPGs is very accurate. Wind conditions were good for my travel, and it was almost all constant freeway. Now that I have no big trips planned for a bit, I'm going to take them off and see how my gas mileage changes.
  16. XCanada

XCanada New Member

install and pictures ? I ordered some from Polaris today as well for my new 2100 XC Does anyone have any pictures or how they are installed on the XC highway bars (non tubular) ? Are they held on with Velcro or how ??? Any help appreciated for a new member in Canada thanks xcanada
  17. Luddite

Luddite New Member

'11 XC - Blue
    It comes with illustrated instructions, it's a very simple install, takes minutes. They use velcro and a plastic card which inserts into the gap in the front "chin" of the bike. One word of note though, I was riding with some friends and their crotch rockets and discovered that because the bottom loop on the soft lowers loops around bottom of the frame it is susceptible to being cut if you lean too far into a corner and scrape it.
  18. reddog3769

reddog3769 New Member

2010 Cross Country Midnight Cherry
    I put mine between the painted cover and the metal bar. Saves on scuffing the paint on the top of the bar. The velcro strap fits threw NP just have to wiggle it a bit. The Loopped ends around the floorboard mounts and tighten upon the straps. They work great at keeping the wind and weather off, but I took them off now that the hot sunny westher is here and only put them on if I get caught in bad weather. I also put on the flip windshield and Lowers. Great stopping the buffeting and great on the highway doing 120Kph, Approx 70Mph. Yes I lost a little in the gas milage but no bad. Great add on for the money forsure.
  19. BBob

BBob Active Member

11 XC, 04 KP
    Cee Bailey is coming out with a bolt on version of the soft lowers but the will use their Plexiglas as the shield that fits the squared crash bars. They can be turned a bit to allow more air to the engine. I've only seen pictures of the prototype's but they show real promise if they can be turned enough to force enough air to the engine to keep it within normal heat limits. Since I already have the Baker Air Wings in the crash bars; I'm hoping to get a tracing of the shield or buy them without holes drilled directly from Cee Bailey to retro fit them to the Baker hardware. Here's a pic of the prototype. [​IMG]
  20. Nacho

Nacho New Member

Bbob, I didn't have any issues with engine heat, even in slow moving rush hour traffic in Atlanta. You definitely feel the heat a bit more on your legs when moving slow, but at anything above 45ish MPH it goes away. There still is a bit of airflow, but no heavy wind or buffeting. reddog, I believe the Velcro is supposed to go in between the bar and the cover on the forged bars, at least that's the way I did it and remember from the instructions. You do have to wiggle it a bit but it isn't much. In all...takes maybe a minute to install. I carry them in my saddlebag also since they fold up pretty small. I keep them off for around town riding.