VOG Forum banner
9K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  talltrees 
#1 ·
I did the Thrush Mod on both of our 2014 XCT's back in November but am just getting around to getting the pictures off of my phone and posted. Since the mod we've ridden to Phoenix, AZ and back along with many weekend and short trip miles. We are very happy with the sound and performance of the modified mufflers.

Let me start by saying that we should have listened to everyone here about spending the extra money on the Stage 1 kit when we bought the bikes. Since then we have removed all of it except the computer flash and disconnected the O2 sensors. installed Lloyd's timing wheel, air filter, PCV, and now changed the exhaust. We bought all the parts from Rylan at The Vic Shop, he even loaded the maps to match our equipment prior to shipping the PCV and set the timing wheels too. We replaced the parts one at a time so were able to tell the difference for each change. They all made a noticeable difference but changing the exhaust made the biggest single improvement. I didn't think there could be that much improvement over the standard Stage 1 exhaust but I was wrong. The sound is much deeper now and louder but not bad. They sound great to me and is loud enough to hear but not too loud at road speed, twist the throttle and it's got a really nice bark. All for less than $100.

We plan on a visit to The Vic Shop sometime this spring for cams and a dyno tune. Can't wait to see how much more amazing these bikes can get. :)

Pictures are in the gallery at: Album: Thrush Mod Pictures

See less See more
Reactions: DDallas
#2 ·
I did something similar, but different. I cut off the rear tail pipe and used two hole saws one inside the other to cut the tailpipe loose. Then used a chop saw to cut off the rear plate. The guts will then slide out. I used a properly sized hole saw with extension to remove the baffle plate at the front of the muffler, eliminating the need to cut the front cone shaped part off.

I obtained a couple glass pack 'blanks' from the local auto repair shop. There are just a couple tack welds holding the shell to the core. Removed the shell and installed the core into the vic muffler and wrapped it with the glass blanket. A slight angle cut on the front part lines it up perfect. It fits tight, but put a rosetta weld on one side and could reach the inside to tack it in place on the other. Then welded the back plate back on. Depending on the length of the 'blank' you may have to use some exhaust pipe to make them long enough. On the first bike I used 2 1/4" and on the second I used 2 1/2"

Basically just took the guts out and installed a glass pack core and put the back plate back on. Saves the weight of the additional glass pack shell and the aerodynamics of the transition of the front part of the muffler into the core is smooth. I paid $20 each for the blanks.

The bike I have now sounds great and runs great. It's been through Kevinx's and he was impressed with the power they made. Kept the low end even with the addition of cams. Factoring in his less than optimistic dyno at the time, it came out 122 and 124 on a xct.

#3 ·
I did something similar, but different. I cut off the rear tail pipe and used two hole saws one inside the other to cut the tailpipe loose. Then used a chop saw to cut off the rear plate. The guts will then slide out. I used a properly sized hole saw with extension to remove the baffle plate at the front of the muffler, eliminating the need to cut the front cone shaped part off.

I obtained a couple glass pack 'blanks' from the local auto repair shop. There are just a couple tack welds holding the shell to the core. Removed the shell and installed the core into the vic muffler and wrapped it with the glass blanket. A slight angle cut on the front part lines it up perfect. It fits tight, but put a rosetta weld on one side and could reach the inside to tack it in place on the other. Then welded the back plate back on. Depending on the length of the 'blank' you may have to use some exhaust pipe to make them long enough. On the first bike I used 2 1/4" and on the second I used 2 1/2"

Basically just took the guts out and installed a glass pack core and put the back plate back on. Saves the weight of the additional glass pack shell and the aerodynamics of the transition of the front part of the muffler into the core is smooth. I paid $20 each for the blanks.

The bike I have now sounds great and runs great. It's been through Kevinx's and he was impressed with the power they made. Kept the low end even with the addition of cams. Factoring in his less than optimistic dyno at the time, it came out 122 and 124 on a xct.
Those are really good numbers for both HP and Torque. Could you post a dyno chart of your performance parts and your Thrush mufflers?

#4 · (Edited)
No, not thrush mufflers. Just a generic glass pack at the local auto repair place that does exhaust work. It has the spiral louvers. Since going to the 2 1/2" I turned the louvers backward to knock the sound a little more. We'll ride this thing for weeks at a time on trips.
As mentioned, kevin said his dyno was off 7%. I think he's put new software in it now. Those numbers come from adding that 7%. According to Kevin this was a really good running bike to start with. This one stock was about the same as the other one I had with a power commander, timing wheel, air filter and pipes with no cams. Did the same to this one only added cams.
When we left Kevins loaded with luggage and two up, the front wheel was off the ground. That was good for a punch in the ribs!

#9 ·
#8 ·
Do you think i was a fluke or could it be repeated? What was the brand glass insert? Can you reproduce the procedure with the hole saw diameters and steps?

#12 ·
These are just generic glass pack blanks. The hole saws are sized to just fit inside the cut off tail pipe to act as a guide. The larger one should be the same size as the new outlet pipe, maybe slightly undersized so you can file to make a tight fit for welding.

No idea if this can be replicated. The chart posted according to Kevin was a really good running bike and good numbers for his dyno at the time.

#13 ·
Made the trip to The Vic Shop a few weeks ago and Rylan installed some Wyrd Brothers XV-30 cams and dyno tuned both bikes. The numbers are nearly the same since both have the same equipment. Rylan said he hadn't done one with the Thrush mod but the numbers were good. He said it might have got a little more mid-range with the 2 1/4" mufflers but we are very pleased with the setup for our touring and long trips.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

#14 ·
No offense but I'll take my "LLoyds and Ragin Cajun Ripper XL" results. That being said WE ride some NICE bikes :clap:

#15 ·
Numbers don't mean squat unless they are compared to each other from the same DYNO. Different shops use different Dynos, therefor produce different numbers...

#17 ·
I used an acetylene torch and some patience. I was able to cut it after taking the ends off and cutting from each end and down each side. Still took some work to get them out but was able to twist them in and pull them out. I left the insulation in and slid the glass packs inside it, didn't have a press to force it in the steel sleeve like some do. I think there is a picture of the removal in my album.

Reactions: Hchays
#20 · (Edited)
We will most likely be riding on Saturday. PM me and we can meet up somewhere. Actually there are more of us than you think. We are members of the Central Oklahoma Victory Riders, local chapter of the VMC. We meet at Maxey's on NW 39th street on the second Saturday of the month at noon. Come check us out. Went on a club ride last Saturday, had two steel frame Vic's, two Visions and four Cross Country's and tours. :)

Reactions: K1ll3m@LL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.