MAXIMUS FOR VICTORY RESULTS AND THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by shep7285, Apr 7, 2017.

1. shep7285

shep7285 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory gunner
    . Finally had a chance to flash the stage 1 map to my 2017 victory gunner with the Maximus tuner for victory. I love it. It did a great job, 1st shift is much smoother and can be in it longer without bogging down like it did. The bike is smoother throughout the first three gears, hadn't gone into 4th and beyond yet, didn't get a chance to take it on the highway. I no longer have the awful jerking I did in first and 2nd when letting off the throttle. The rev limiter was raised, not sure by how much, forgot to ask, and the timing was also increased. The bike just overall runs better. THIS IS A STOCK BIKE, don't forget. It didnt give me 15 more hp and some wild torque number, but he bike feels much better, and I'll be able to use the same map when I get pipes and intake. I didn't want the PCV due to the lengthy install. This was simple. It took me longer to put the seat back on than it did to flash the map to it. For gunner owners the ecu is next to the fuse box behind the right side cover. You plug in 1 cable, hit program on the computer and it's done, took 2 minutes and you pull the unit off, put it back in its case and call it a day. The only downsides I see to this controller over the Pcv is if you want to just run a canned map, there aren't as many options yet. If you have neither and plan on getting your bike tuned after buying your mods all together, this controller is supposed to allow you to do much more than pcv, AND YOU DONT NEED TO SPEND AN HOUR INSTALLING IT, or getting it installed, it was so simple, I can't stress that enough. I would just check that there are tuners in your area who use the techno research technology first. They have a map for tuning centers on their site. I only found out about it, because the guy at my local shop wouldn't install a pcv for me because of everything required. Eventually he will tune my bike when I get air intake and pipes, until then, I could add both and be ok with This map. You can also save the $150 or so on the timing wheel. You don't need it since your timing can be adjusted in the map. Call @TechnoSupport and call Sandro, he'll walk you through it, very good guy.
    In conclusion, very happy with my purchase, it will only get better with intake and pipes, but very pleased with the simplicity, and whenever I am ready to get it dynoed, I have a shop very close by that will dyno and tune for me. I'm sure more canned maps will eventually be readily available when guys start buying it and getting dyno tunes. Pcv definitely has a canned map advantage right now.

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes, typing on my phone.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Gunner
    Very exciting stuff! Thanks for posting!

3. Redrocket465

Redrocket465 New Member

Octane
    Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?

4. shep7285

shep7285 Member

Victory gunner
    424. Bought it from moto part hub, they are normally 448. Slightly more than a pcv depending on where you buy it:

5. Redrocket465

Redrocket465 New Member

Octane
    Great thank you. ..sounds just like my fp3..super easy to use. In 90 percent of cases you really only need one download.sounds perfect

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. shep7285

shep7285 Member

Victory gunner
    Exactly! When I got my victory I was surprised there was nothing out there like it. This Maximus is just like it. The fp3 was even easier though. But this was very very simple.

7. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Dealers can be reticent to use it, because they lose the sale of the PCV and the timing wheel; and their installations charge. Just FYI...:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. shep7285

shep7285 Member

Victory gunner
    Luckily the shop by me, didn't want to mess with the pcv. Told me I didn't need timing wheel, and the Maximus would cover all the timing I needed. Of course he still wanted to dyno my bike and charge me, but I know I'll need one at some point. He was a straight shooter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country 8-Ball and 2016 Vegas 8-Ball
    Right, do all you want to motor THEN get it dyno'd. Two years ago KEVINX did cams, pcv, timing wheel and Lloyd's filter and downloaded a program he already had in pcv....bike ran GREAT and I was very happy. A year later added Ragin Cajun Ripper XL exhaust and called Kevin to see if should get dyno...he said yes. Met him at Bike Week in Daytona and he did it....I could feel a BIG difference. A month ago while down in Florida I bought a new 2016 Vegas 8-Ball...bought Monday, rode to break-in Tues and then took to KEVINX for same upgrade he did to CC. He said no pcv on this one, did the Maximus ECU tune with dyno. Stock was a really fast bike, now a rocket...called him and said next quote he gives someone add back rest...to keep customer on! (just a note: rpm raised in ALL gears, 6200, not that it's needed as best shift point is 52-5400. BUT what did happen during his dyno tune...speedo didn't like going over 140mph, it quit working....Kevin got warrantied, waiting for new one now. SO now I know 139 max mph:badgrin:)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Firebolter

Firebolter Active Member

X1 Stealth/Road King Special/Berg300/Montesa 4RT/BMW F800GS
    One thing to point out about the Max, it is a ECU Flasher i.e. changes the map in the ECU whereas the PCV runs "ontop" of the ECU stock output. Both are good options, just depends on what you want to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    If I were buying another Vic I would consider this option with an UDpulley.
    Of course Lloyds filter , exhaust , and uh ..... Amsoil 20/40 engineered for Victory and Indian !!!
    Woot ! Woot !

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country 8-Ball and 2016 Vegas 8-Ball
    SLICK....A MAX THREAD! :banghead::rofl2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. blackslide

blackslide Member

None
    From the angle I'm looking at it. This is the way to go. I assume that you can program the factory ECU from 0-XRPM and it does ignition and fuel.

I think there may be more shops that can build a custom map in the dyno and flash it. From what I've read and seen, looks as the Polaris ECUs are all made by the same manufacturer and the software and code are interchangeable. If it really is, there should be many shops with the suitable software for doing this. Although, all the shops might not have the skills/equipment to work on bikes.

For instance, I've seen CBM motorsports offering a software kit for diagnostics, MEFI6 for Polaris Slingshot. I assume it could work with anything Polaris.

I have always wondered why there is a huge market for add-on fuel controllers in the bike market. Not to piss into anyones cereals, but fuel controllers work on the basic idea of fooling the ECU, to get what they need. This works up to a point, but has its disadvantages.

14. blackslide

blackslide Member

None
    It would be great to get a free working solution to
    A: In-depth diagnostics
    B: Backup of present map/parameters
    C: Ability to customize the map/parameters

They've done it on BMW and I believe some others also. So some generous gearhead could take it on:
    -A schematic of the OBD2/USB cable-interface.
    -A basic, crude program, that works in the console, but can extract data and flash to the ECU
    -Instructions on the basic operation of the program (even scattered posts/notes on a forum might do)
    -Instructions on editing the maps/parameters (same as above)

At the same, I doubt a solution for all things Polaris, might exist allready. This would enable you to do your own diagnostics. And shops do the dyno+ecu setup affordably.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  15. Firebolter

Firebolter Active Member

X1 Stealth/Road King Special/Berg300/Montesa 4RT/BMW F800GS
    When I talked to Kevin X recently, he said both are good and he recommended if you already have the PCV and timing wheel, it is not worth the investment to change over. Here's a good link to the Maximus specs and features

MAXIMUS for Victory - TechnoResearch

It does archive your stock map, so you could always revert. Pulls codes and has alot of diagnostic features as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1