magnum+trunk=no audio

Discussion in 'Victory Magnum' started by 3rdElement, May 7, 2015.

1. sgtmorris

sgtmorris New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 Magnum
    I added the tour pac to my magnum and as I see here I'm not the first to have an issue with the rear speakers. Adding an amp seems to be the answer but what is the preferred / recommended route? I am satisfied with the stock sound system as I have never had a bike with one before so not looking for anything to loud or fancy, just want the speakers to work. I've spoke with two dealerships who have communicated with Victory and Victory was zero help! Does anyone know if the amp and wiring kit for the lid speakers is a plug and play for the tour pac? I will not always have the tour pac on the bike so I want a quick disconnect for the speakers (stock plug if possible). Any help would be appreciated.

2. donrich

donrich New Member

Cross Country
    Would have been nice had they told me about all if this when I bought the bike and trunk... :(. On another subject.... the front 3-way speakers suck... blew them the first month I had them and I don't play volume move than 1/2 way. Very chincy!

3. Kenstah

Kenstah Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Ness Magnum
    So I've read all the other threads on this issue, have purchased a trunk for my 15 Ness Magnum and am anticipating the trunk speakers not working. Has ANYONE tried grabbing the amp out of a XC or XCT and using THAT since it seems pre wired for the trunk system speakers? Otherwise I'll be buying a 4 channel to replace the 2 channel that came with my bike. Just curious why not one thread has discussed grabbing an amp out of a salvaged XC or XCT and throwing that in...far cheaper and is an OEM option.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    Im in the same boat just put mine on about 3 weeks ago knowing they wouldnt work . Gonna wait till spring throw the ol on go for a ride and if she cant hear it well I will also be looking for a solution. Had a few harley electra glides with front speakers only she could hear it just fine. Ai also have a ultra classic now and she says it does make a difference but she could hear it fine on my others. I hear it fine at 80 mph rollin down the interstate we will see

• Like Like x 1
  5. MRMAXX

MRMAXX Well-Known Member

I think it would be more cost efficient and you would have much better sound it you went with one of the aftermarket single din radio setups.

Some of the single dins have as much as 200 watts...you "may" not even need an amp with the stock speakers and still get great loud sound.

The wiring is very simple, and you can still use the factory handle bar controls.

IMHO...

• Like Like x 1
  6. 3rdElement

3rdElement Active Member

2015 Victory Magnum: Magnum Red over Super Steel Gray
    keep in mind the radio/amp is all one unit. and I am not sure the wire harness connector to the amp/radio is the same as the xc or xct. you will also look all bluetooth capabilities of the magnum radio/amp. give it a shot. see how it works and report back!

7. Alberta_Vegas

Alberta_Vegas Member

2016 Victory Magnum
    I got the saddlebag amp kit for a good deal but it turns out it is the one for a regular XC, so the wiring is a little different. However I think it will work in my favour because I can still connect the trunk to the harness. I just need to figure out which one is the signal wire for the amp. I will let you know how I make out once I finally get around to installing it.

8. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    Just out of curiosity when any of you have a passenger on can they hear your stereo

9. Kenstah

2015 Victory Ness Magnum
    So if what you are saying is true and it is all one unit, then I doubt there will be room under the fairing for a second amp, meaning, I will have to install the additional amp in the trunk itself?

10. 3rdElement

3rdElement Active Member

yeah its really just barely enough room for just the amp and the back of the headlight. and usually i have to fully assemble the fairing and then take out the headlight and tweak the angle the amp is sitting. 10k miles though and no issues. so i consider that a win.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kenstah

2015 Victory Ness Magnum
    In addition I need the wiring for the bag speaker set up since there is no wiring run from the fairing back to the trunk area of the bike?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. 3rdElement

3rdElement Active Member

no. the wiring is all there just like a standard xc or xc tour.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kenstah

2015 Victory Ness Magnum
    Are ya sure? My rep at the dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it. I *assume* the wiring is there since the Magnums are the bikes where they introduced the trunk speakers correct? Makes sense to have the wiring there already. My rep at the dealer seemed to think the wiring harness comes with the amp package. I'm just hoping to NOT have the need for them to open the fairing and run MORE wires from my existing radio all the way to the back with a quick disconnect, to connect to the amp I am already most likely going to have to install in the trunk itself to get the dang speakers to work.

K

14. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    @Kenstah the trunk was introduced with the speakers on the cross country tour the problem is the radio in the magnums is 2 Channel and the cross country is a four channel this is why when you plug it in it doesn't work .now I'm not a professional on this but I'm relating to you what everybody with a magnum has related to me because I'm in the same boat

• Like Like x 2
  15. Alberta_Vegas

Alberta_Vegas Member

2016 Victory Magnum
    You are correct the Magnum Amp is only a 2 channel. To add the bag speakers you need to add another amp which mounts under the rear fender. It comes with another wiring harness that has a signal wire running up into the fairing and a left and right bag speaker section. It plugs into the same plug that the trunk would plug into.

• Like Like x 1