VOG Forum banner

LET'S BE HONEST..would you be riding a Harley if money was no object?

33K views 289 replies 185 participants last post by  slickvic 
#1 ·
I had this discussion with my riding group last week about owning a Harley, and most if not all said they would own a Harley if money was no object. Even among Vic owners, they said the same thing, but it would be a 2nd bike, so they say. The only Vic owners that would not go back to Harley, were those who had a bad experience or bad experiences with Harleys. Some seem scarred for life by Harley. Poor guys, so traumatized. Also note there are some Harley owners who swear by the bikes too, and have rode them trouble free. I have to admit if the Road Glide was the same price as the Vision, I would be tempted to drink the kool aid too, and I'm thinking how loyal are Victory owners if money was no object. Is it all about the money? If it's about performance, how come we're not buying a VMax, M109R, Rocket, Diavel, and so forth. What say you...

#2 ·
If I had unlimited funds , and time .... i would most certainly own at least one .
But have neither ....so kinda moot point for me.
:)
Peter

Reactions: mrmegadeth
#4 ·
I want to buy a motorcycle from a motorcycle company, not a fashion company.
Seriously, though, I have no desire to have one because of the group think of the whole "Harley" culture. I know way too many Harley riders who swear that it's the only bike worth having, but can't come up with a good argument for that viewpoint other than, "It's a Harley." I prefer to be different and not just follow the crowd.

#5 ·
Had 5 Harleys before my 3 Vics. Haven't had any real or reoccurring trouble out of any of the various bikes I've owned. But as to Harley's - been there done that. Starting to feel that way about Victories so an Indian or another Goldwing may be up next. Each brand has it's strong points and weaknesses. I REALLY want a MOTUS if they'll ever start selling them before I get too old to ride at all:icon_rolleyes:

#7 · (Edited)
not only No, but I am willing to back it up!, YOU COULDN'T GIVE ME A CURRENT MODEL HARDLEY RIDDENSON AT ANY PRICE! seriously, if you told me I could buy one from you, and I had to keep it a minimum of 5 years, then bring it back we will give you all your money back, less a dollar a mile for every mile you rode it, and we will pay you a dollar a mile for every mile you put on the XCT, it would come back to your dealership with however many miles it was round trip to my house!, My XCT on the other hand would be getting ridden straight from the Hardley dealer to the Indian dealer after the transaction was completed!
I have the cash wanna play??

#9 ·
I had this discussion with my riding group last week about owning a Harley,
I have not bought one because they have not made one I thought was better than what I bought. They are getting better. I find the Road King and Low Rider tempting. The LR is almost Japanese cheap, especially if you can score last year's model. There are still several of those nearby. Problem with that is it needs so much in accessories to make it useful that it's almost smarter to buy the Road King. The RK would need very little, but it costs so much more than other bikes that I like that are better in perhaps every way except retro styling.

So in the final analysis, I guess not. Moral of the story, you probably won't end up with the money to blow if you blow money making bad decisions. OTOH, you might hit the lottery! :pepper1:

#10 ·
Owned my first Harley at 16 and another at 23 and then a Goldwing (naked) at 30, quit riding at 46 and just bought a new Boardwalk at 58... Nope money really has no part, as there are alot of Bikes from new to slightly used in all price ranges. To some of us it is the value v sticker, so from that aspect yes money does count, but even if you have it, doesn't mean I am going to throw it away. Victory's statement in current day is the same reason I bought the Harley in the 70's it is America's new V-twin, and reflects that attitude inspite of the price difference... :angel4:

#271 ·
I can afford a HD. I have never had a bad time riding one.
I have no desire to own one.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no.
I'm at the age where I'd consider a Gold Wing trike or the Can-Am Spyder... if I could ever get to test ride one. But definitely keeping the XCT!!

#12 ·
No. I have never owned one but have ridden many and not impressed. Being 6' tall I always felt cramped and uncomfortable one them. I am me and like being different, so even though I could buy one I wont.

#13 ·
I like both the new Road Glide and my Cross Country the same, I would own both if I could afford both but since I can not I will stick to my first choice. I will however in the next 2 yearsish get me an 883 or 1200 to bob out so I can have the best of both worlds.

#16 ·
If money were no object I would by a Magnum to go next to my Vision. I really will never own another Harley. They are unreliable and over priced. And WAY and I do mean WAY under powered. And to get the same power you have to pay 3 times the price and loose any reliability you had.

Reactions: bigjohn6886
#20 ·
Now I like this idea but question what power plant a Victory power plant or Harley?

#18 ·
But it I were to get one it would be an early one. Like 20's or 30's would love to have a bike of the era :) but a new one no thanks.

#19 ·
Money was not even in the question, if that is what I wanted that is what I would have bought. I like the looks of some of them but I don't buy something for looks, it is for the value that I am looking for. They don't fit me, the engine output was not what I expected, maintenance is too expensive, the technology is way out of date, I am not a big fan of riding from one doughnut shop to the next, etc. On the 2012 that I was riding there was a hook up for the ipod, but no where you could place it, how dumb is that? I am a thrifty (some would say cheap) guy but have no problem spending money on something I want, I have never understood why you would spend any money on something you don't really want.

#23 ·
To be perfectly honest, money is not an object. I have the means today to go buy anything I want. The reason I haven't is because, at least for now, I have exactly what I want. If I won the lottery would I buy a warehouse and among other things have a V-Rod in it?...Probably. But back in reality, if right now Harley made something better than my Vision or Kingpin I would sell one of my current bikes and go get the Harley. That is not the case. If it is in the future...I will sell one of my current bikes and go buy it.

#26 ·
If money was no object I would have at least one of each. However, I would have to have a separate fund for the Harley aftermarket, service, apparel. Unfortunately, I see Victory not that far behind. Instead of being the leader in this respect, I see them following the leader (Harley). This is true with respect to costs of things and delays in service. I always had metric bikes until I purchased the Victory (I did have one Harley and it was not good). The first warranty work of the Victory left it in the shop for 3 months with no loaner. Sounds kinda like Harley to me. Never had any metric bike in a shop overnight and I owned them for 30+ years. I remember the owner of the Victory dealer told me that 3 months is equivalent to a similar issue with Harley. I told him, well if that's the industry standard, it doesn't speak much for the industry or for Victory. I challenged him to set the standard not follow one. Anyway, I do think that Victory is the better bike.

#27 ·
Nope, No Harley for me. Always dreamed of having a touring bike but being only 5'8" all the touring bike has been just to top heavy for me to feel comfortable on, THEN i set on the XCT. Same seat height as my old Vulcan and really don't seem to weigh any more but I know it does. I have friends that drank the Harley Kool Aid and will never be caught on another bike. For me, I am in love with this bike. I hope to keep it and see if i can get 6 figures on the odometer.

#28 ·
I've been doing the fantasy shopping the past few months waiting for the snow to melt. Been looking over the harleys and the indians. Money is no object. Just about decided to put 1500$ into the xc for pipes, Pcv, timing wheel, and a dyno tune. Cant stand the handling on the SG, and the shaking engine is just too crappy for me. It is a better sounding motor in the SG, but nothing handles better than the XC for me. Except the vision, bestbhandling bike on the planet for me, if I could just get better bags on it. Listening Ma Vic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.