Kingpin tank removal

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by LAYNE, Jul 19, 2012.

1. LAYNE

LAYNE New Member

Hello Has anyone pulled a tank on a kingpin? Could you guys help me out with some things I should be aware of. I have a service nanual and it seems pretty straight forward. Need to get a little more knowledge on depresssurizing it. I know I should drain the tank as much as possible but does it have to be completely empty to do it. I am going with ape hangers and I have to route all new cables, this is why I'm pulling the tank. I think it would be better to route the clutch and get to the throttle housng with the tank off. Thanks for any help you guys can give me! Layne
  2. spider

spider OT-CAN

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Indian Chief Vintage # 718
    Remove side covers, remove drivers seat bolts, remove seat. Remove tank bolt at bottom of tank ( where seat meets tank )remove front tank bolt covers, loosen but do not remove bolts just yet. Lift rear of tank, ( less gas the better ), block with small piece of wood or hold with one hand ( been there done that ) remove fuel line fitting, unhook electrical connector, ( easier with two hands, lol ) remove block of wood, set down carefully, now remove front bolts completly, remove tank trying not to hit tank on risers. Done this a few times now, easy as pie. Edit : Sorry, on " depressurizing ", all I ever did was remove the fitting from the tank, no big gas spray, no issues and I have had my tank off at least three times.
  3. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    It's not necessary to drain or depressurize, you will only spill about a spoonful. Gas weighs about 8lbs per gallon so a full tank is a little heavier than an empty one, but totally manageable.
  4. LAYNE

LAYNE New Member

Thank for your reply spider. I didnt see anything in the mannual about the electrical connection. just the fuel line and the vent lines. They talk about depressurizing the fuel line whats that about? Thanks again for the reply
  5. LAYNE

LAYNE New Member

Thanks guys, this helps alot! I feel I should have no problem with this now!
  6. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Nope, never, not a single person has done that since 2004... but maybe soon.
  7. spider

spider OT-CAN

2014 Indian Chief Vintage # 718
    Oops, forgot about the vent lines, might want to pull them also :blushing:
  8. LAYNE

LAYNE New Member

Thanks the Tank is off!