Kenwood KMR-M318BT shipping soon...(marine grade)

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by yankphan, Mar 27, 2017.

1. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 XC
    Hi guys and gals, let me introduce myself here... I'm active on the Facebook Victory pages and decided to start selling Kenwood headunits for our cross country's. Turn your stereo on your bike into what it SHOULD sound like !

My name is Dave Azzopardi, I'm an electronic technician (22 yrs).... I will be selling Kenwood KMR-M318BT (marine grade) headunits for $395 shipped. This will be modded with the necessary harness to relocate the faceplate to your dashboard. Simply remove your factory radio in your fairing and strap this headunit in its place. Fish the harness through the dashboard and out the stock radio LCD screen spot. I use a dab of "goop" (sold at Home Depot paint section) on top of each dummy switch and apply the faceplate onto them and let dry. It will be solid yet removable if wanted by squeezing the tabs behind the dummy switches or apply a little heat with a heat gun for seconds between the faceplate and dummy switches to weaken the "goop" and just pull off the faceplate. If you have heated grips you need to simply relocate the factory switch elsewhere (usually under the faceplate)...then just get a rocker switch to be used as a "dummy switch" to mount the faceplate or get oem dummy switches if you'd like.

I am a fan of marine grade headunits because I did have a bad experience with a non-marine grade unit. The faceplate got wet and failed on me, no worries with marine grade.

I will be making them soon as I have supplies on the way. If you want to use your factory controls on your handlebars you just need to buy an Axxess box (model aswc-1) and simply wire it in (4 wires). The axxess box is $40 shipped on eBay.

Check out the specs on the Kenwood KMR-M318BT online if you'd like, it's a superior stereo for sure.

I will post here when they are available. Probably about 2-3 weeks.... thanks for your time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Hey @yankphan. Sounds great that you are doing this. I decided to read up on the specs a bit, here's the list of basics:
    • TDF(Theft Deterrent Faceplate)
    • Drive Change
    • Maximum Output Power : 50W x 4 (MOSFET Power IC)
    • Kenwood sound reconstruction, restores musical to compressed music
    • MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC Files Playback with ID-3 Tag Display
    • Android Rapid Charge
    • Multi language(English, Spanish)
    • Dual Phone Connection
    • Wireless Music Browsing
    • Conformal Coating *1
    *1: Do not install the unit in a spot exposed to direct sunlight or excessive heat or humidity. Also avoid places with too much dust or the possibility of water splashing.

I'm a little confused about that last part and the note following it. Are we discussing this as a replacement in the dash of the XC/XCT? Because mine is almost always around dirt and dust, splashing water (aka rain), sunlight and possible humidity/excessive heat. If it was a Harley, I wouldn't think much about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    There are so many people doing this modification to their Vic's. I can tell you I had a problem with my non-marine kenwood due to my daughter helping me wash my bike and decided to wash the dashboard !! I feel a marine grade stereo will help the situation because there is a coating over all the electronics. I'm sure kenwood has to disclose those precautions to protect themselves but for everyday use especially a marine grade stereo in a non marine environment for the most part... I don't see any foreseeable issues. There are people with this mod on their cross country for years with no issue. Just like the description says, it gets mounted over the current LCD screen you will take out. I can send you pics if you'd like if I get an email address. For some reason I could t post any pics here (maybe because I'm using my iPhone)

4. WickedWebby

WickedWebby Active Member

2014 XC "Storm Trooper"
    Must be selling more than just the head unit and wire harness plug. Please tell us what else is to your kit.
    Amazon selling this head unit for $107 shipped.
    Amazon.com: Kenwood KMRM318 / KMR-M318BT KMRM318 Marine Digital Media Receiver w/ Bluetooth: Electronics
    If I understand it right..
    Your selling a direct plug and play oem rear factory harness plug and a wire extension ribbon for the front of the head unit to remotely plug in the faceplate?
    Any modification (cutting) needed for the OEM dash for your kit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    No hurry for me but when you can get some photos posted here, I'd be interested in reading up on it a bit more, for sure.

6. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    True that is the cost of the stereo. It's very time consuming and great skills needed to make the harness. Look around, they are going for way more than what I will be listing for. No cutting involved. The faceplate gets mounted with whatever you choose to the dummy switches (I use "goop")

7. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    Absolutley....

8. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    I will post a YouTube link to my current setup soon.

• Like Like x 3
  9. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    IMG_8437.PNG IMG_8438.PNG

Hey it worked !!
    Lol

10. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    IMG_8179.JPG

11. WickedWebby

WickedWebby Active Member

2014 XC "Storm Trooper"
    Thanks for the info.
    Not hating at all. I agree on how much work goes into quality custom stuff.
    Your stuff looks good! I like the idea of a quality head unit output vs having to amp up the OEM unit and no cutting.
    Good stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    This is not my bike or my radio... but it's a photo of a typical install....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. chris_d

chris_d Member

2015 Victory XCT
    Any other mounting ideas if I currently use both dummy switches? Also does radio have bluetooth?

14. yankphan

yankphan Active Member

2011 XC
    IMG_8429.PNG
    Yes the radio has Bluetooth !
    I've seen the switches moved under the faceplate. Zoom in and take a close look....

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. chris_d

chris_d Member

2015 Victory XCT
    Thanks!