Indian vs. Victory?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by coffeedave, Jun 24, 2013.

1. coffeedave

coffeedave Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Cross Country 2014 Indian Chief Classic
    I am very worried about all the attention being given to Indian. If Polaris builds them as good as a Victory, which we know they will, what direction is there for Victory? Targeting Japanese models? Apparently going after Harley is going to be Indian's job as until now there has not been a choice in American motorcycles as Polaris itself says time after time. I realize a dealer network will not come immediately but man alive don't forget about the loyal Vicsters out there! I feel like we're already demoted to third before the first Indian has been sold!

2. Putter

Putter New Member

'09 Hammer

Unless they broaden the expected line of Indians both in style and price, I think it is another market. From what I have seen, if I didn't buy another Vic, it wouldn't be an Indian either. Additionally, it could strengthen Victory by showing that Polaris is a committed motorcycle company.

3. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

2012 Vegas

I agree with this 100%. I didn't know much about Vic's until I found this site and started doing more research. I believe it's going to give proper attention where deserved (on both camps).
    If we're worried about Indian's a'coming, I just image wihat the HD's are thinking...

4. alby1600

alby1600 Member

2012cross country touring

i agree,Indian is a totally different animal

5. victoryismine

victoryismine New Member

2011 Victory Vision ABS Vogue silver/Black w/stage 1
    I didn't buy a Victory because I didn't like HD. I made my purchase decision based on the fact that Victory had exactly what I was looking for. I have owned numerous HDs and they were all good bikes but they aren't in the same league as my current Vic. Indian looks like they have a real winner but they aren't making a product that looks very comparable to the Victory line. One model isn't going to draw a large number of customers away from either HD or Victory. If I was shopping for a full-on tour machine made in the USA I would have two options; HD or Victory. You could most definitely tour on the Indian but it isn't going to compete with the HD FL line or Victorys Cross line or the Vision.

6. coffeedave

coffeedave Member

2013 Victory Cross Country 2014 Indian Chief Classic

I bought a Vic because I liked the handling, power, styling, etc. Along with this I get to be different and not follow the crowd which I like. I justworry that Polaris will lose focus on Victory with all the fuss about Indian. Got to keep a new model coming here and there, and one that sells. The X bikes are a homerun and generated a lot of sales and excitement. The last few efforts such as Judge and Boardwalk have flopped. Harley is certainlya target for Vic but Indian will be more successful at siphoning off those customers than Vic has been simply because of the heritage and rivalry from years ago. I guess time will tell how much Indian hurts Victory. I hope they are different enough that Vic sales stay strong.

7. Creek_IP

Creek_IP Well-Known Member

Imperial Blue 2012 Cross Country
    I disagree that Harley is a target for Vic. Victory is far to progressive to aim for the HD crowd. HDs biggest marketing success is basically about the heritage of HD. Vic knows they can't touch the o es who are into the heritage. I think Vic is targeting potential buyers who want a modern big twin bike. Look at the lines on a Vic. It doesn't come close to looking like HD and I think that is part of the brilliance of the design. You're right about Indian being more successful for drawing HD customers away and I hope it works. In the other Indian "dread thread" I reported some of what our local Vic sales manager told me. The 3 operations are going to be completely separate. The ATV side of the house will not have direct input on the MC side any longer. He believes this is going back in the right direction and Vic and Indian customer service will be right. He said Vic customer service was among the best before they combined operations. After the combo, it was hard for the dealers to get any help from corporate HQ for Vics.

8. WilCon76

WilCon76 New Member

Judge

I agree. Different markets. Victory is a modern performance cruiser market and Indian will be about 112 years of heritage. Look at where they are introing the bike. Sturgis started by an Indian motorcycle club, heritage all the way.

9. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

2012 CrossRoads
    I would beg to differ--Victory specifically targeted Harley, and made no secret of it. Didn't you see all the "comparison videos" that Victory put on YouTube? There was no one else in their crosshairs. That said, I'm thrilled that they did not clone their style like the big 3 Japanese manufacturers. They have their own style. The problem is, HD guys either complain that they are being copied....or they tell me my Xroads is "too futuristic"--- the latter is what I hear the most. What if we stopped buying new cars because they were too modern....

10. Handyhoward

Handyhoward Member

2011 Victory Vision Touring ABS or 2013 Indian Vintage Chief FE #7

I have one of each... 2011 Vision and just bought the 2013 FE... the Vision is the better touring bike... the Indian is more wow factor.

11. Ironman

Ironman Member

2012 Victory XC

As in cars, what is futuristic now will be the norm tomorrow.
    Not all HD riders buy for the same reasons. Victory has appealed to those that care for performance, technology and engineering inovation. That group may include HD riders but also, Metric cruiser and touring riders. Indian will go after the Nostalgia Crowd be it HD or Metric, They are carving out the huge middle. I am very impressed with their marketing approach.

12. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    The real question is will the Cross Country's sales be strong enough to float Victory for three more years. New paint and a different wheel or handle bar on a cruiser isn't going to do diddly squat. Over the last few years victory's cruisers have gotten worse, while Harley's have gotten better, and the new Indian is looking to be pretty good too. As it appears that Polaris is completely focused on Indian for now and the foreseeable future I don't see any major changes or improvements coming to Vic any time soon. So, let's just guess that in 3-5 years Indian is up and running. They have multiple models/platforms, and they're selling as fast as they can make them. Meanwhile Victory has remained profitable on strong XC sales. In that case I bet by then Victory has it's own R&D and we start seeing new and better stuff. OR...After being ignored for 3-5 years Vic's sales have dwindled below profitability. What then, dump a bunch of investment into the brand, or shut it down and use the line to increase Indian production....

13. Bobbyd85

Bobbyd85 Active Member

2012 Black Cross Country

you guys realize that other than Polaris being the primary bank for all 3 companies (Vic, Polaris and Indian) they all have their own funding, engineers, etc. I work for a company that is owned by a much larger corporation that owns many many other large companies. we do our own work completely seperate of those other companies and we have our own funding and technology. We dont even have shared events. The only thing that all the companies have in common is the same parent company, 401k and medical insurance. other than that we are step brothers raised by different parents.

Victory will be fine and continue to progress regardless of what Polaris, Indian, Harley or your 1/2 brothers second cousins sisters aunts nephew is doing. Santa, the Easter bunny, Tooth fairy, Snuffleupagus and anybody else doesnt have anything to do with it either.

14. nevercrywolf

nevercrywolf Member

kingpin tour

can't see all the fuss about vic,indian or hd. Even if indian took off,how many bikes couldthey produce and look at the dealer network. Vicers know how small our network is. One dealer for every 50 hd dealerships. Folks buy bikes where they find a dealer and showrooms and service. Few dealership network, fewer bikes sold period. So I don't worry about who targets whom. Its all a mythical battle at this point

15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    Greg Brew is head of the Industrial Design department at Victory. Michael Song is the lead designer at Victory. Guess who is responsible for all the design and development of Indian? Yep, Greg Brew and Michael Song. How do I know this? Steve Menneto, Polaris VP in charge of MOTORCYCLES introduced them as such.