I hate to be the first to throw in the towel, but it is not going to get better as far as value goes

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Tgalloway21@yahoo.c, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Tgalloway21@yahoo.c

Tgalloway21@yahoo.c New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2006 Victory Hammer
    I hate to be the first to throw in the towel, but it is not going to get better as far as value goes. Best case it holds for awhile. I put my Hammer up for sale last night on Craigslist.

• Disagree x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour
    It's your bike and your choice but I don't understand why some are jumping the gun.
    Before the news came out did you like riding your bike? Were you happy with it?
    Now you are selling it because they are no longer making them.
    I still drive a Pontiac and they haven't been made in years.
    Enjoy what you have and try not to worry about things that are beyond our control.
    My two cents.

• Agree Agree x 28
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. rustychevelle

rustychevelle Active Member

Cross Country
    Must be less fun to ride now that the company folded... Maybe somehow the bike does not work properly anymore.... #kneejerkreaction

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Motorcycles are a crappy investment. If you're looking for an investment, buy bonds.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. greaserman

greaserman Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads Classic LE #148
    Motorcycles are not an investment. Your bike was worth 5000 less the minute you rode it off the dealers lot. Value? what value? My bike still has all the value I bought it for. I value the fun I have riding it. And still will. Motorcycles, cars, boats, etc. are depreciating assets.

Enjoy your bike. ride it. that's what its for. not an investment.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dragonman

Dragonman Active Member

Legendary Victory Cross Country & Victory X1
    I don't get it, why sell the bike.... you now own a Legend, might be worth more money in a few years..... and then it may not but who cares....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    So, do you also short stocks? It sounds like the kind of stock market advice that comes out of short sellers who are trying to make their trades profitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

2014 Victory Vision
    If the reason for the sale is just based on value, that may be the wrong reason to make the move. As a Vision owner, I already knew that from a value standpoint I was going to take it in the shorts even if Polaris had not stabbed us in the back. So for me that is not a factor and certainly not a reason to switch.

No, my issue remains to be ongoing support and lack of parts availability. Yeah, they are supposed to have parts for 10 years, yada-yada-yada. I don't believe them. And let's face it, the aftermarket for Visions was never good anyway. Now it will be non-existent. And the other dilemma I have is a moral one. My opinion of Polaris is such that now every time I ride this bike I am going to feel like I have to take a f**king shower just to wash the Polaris stink off of me. That one is going to be tougher to get over.

But I am not making any sudden moves. I'm just going to stay calm and think it through before I make any important decisions about this. Gotta give it time, people. For now, let's just continue to enjoy our machines.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    I see by your count that you haven't spent a lot of time here, but there's a whole lot of good collective wisdom here (and the occasional idiot), but seriously, panic could cost you real big. Don't let that happen. Finish the grieving process, then decide. You know, they say, don't make any big moves for at least one year after the loss of a spouse or something similar. I'm not saying take a year, but slow down a little Worst thing that can happen is having some kind of warranty issue, but the chances are smaller than you probably think.

If you're just not happy with the bike, then do sell. We've all done that. Buy and sell working our way toward that bike that suits us best, But if you're home with this bike then stay there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

2014 Crossroads 8 Ball
    My ride was a discontinued leftover when I bought it. Didn't bother me then, doesn't bother me now. Bought it to ride it not to sell it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kingpin007

Kingpin007 Active Member

2012 XC
    Your bike is already 11 years old so it isn't worth much anyways. Keep riding it and enjoy it !!! Yes there are going to be some wicked deals at the dealers until stock is gone. After that I think used prices will normalize. In a couple years if someone has there heart set on a victory they will have to pay whatever the used market value is. We as Victory owners are the ones that help set what that value is. People don't sell yourself short on what the value of your used motorcycle is just because Victory is winding down today.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dragonman

Dragonman Active Member

Hey, I still love the bike enough to look at a new discounted X1, I'm waiting for the deals to come out... I almost hope nobody will want them I'll get a super price lol

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Kingpin007

Kingpin007 Active Member

2012 XC
    Good luck !! My local dealer is only taking $2500 off a XCT right now. Nothing like some of the deals in the USA.

14. CRC-VKP

CRC-VKP Active Member

2014 Cross Roads / 2004 Kingpin / 2003 KTM300EXC
    When i picked up my 14 CR Classic last year, wifey asked if i was going to sell my 04 Kingpin, told her No Way as it's a collectors item so can only go up in value! (jokingly of course, as that actual 'need' never cross my mind, ever)
    As HC said, motorcycles (and most cars) are a terrible investment, value drops way down the moment you drive it off the lot. When I picked up my 04 KP 5 yrs ago or so, some of my fellow riders of the 'other brand' did raise concern to me about "resale value, as theri brand holds the value better" (or do they...)....Told them F the resale value, i bought it to ride it...not look at it in my garage and pray i can sell it for big $ some day

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Dragonman

Dragonman Active Member

I know I saw that no deals yet here in QC either....