How good is a Victory Judge on rough roads?

Discussion in 'Victory Judge' started by Humbucker, May 20, 2012.

1. Humbucker

Humbucker New Member

After yesterday's tortuous ride on my Vulcan 1600 Classic, out in the Atlantic Canadian country roads that are mostly potholes and bumps and are only getting worse over the years it seems, I need to get something else that can make the ride more bearable. I know that a sport-tourer or adventure bike might be the ultimate solution, as I have frequent lower back problems, so the cruiser seating position isn't the best thing for me. But I think that I prefer a cruiser over all. I was thinking that maybe something like the Judge, with its mid pegs that allow you to stand a little bit, might be ok for roads that are sometimes less then perfect. Plus, it looks like the Judge's suspension is quite a bit better then my old Kawi. Is the suspension on the Judge the same thing that's on the touring bikes? Or is it more like the suspension on the Vegas, Hammer, etc... Maybe an aggressive bike like the Judge would be a good solution to my problems, short of going with a sport-tourer, adventure bike.....
  2. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    The Judge will lean you forward more and take some of the weight off your back and onto your arms and shoulders. The suspension will be close to a Vegas set up but the big fat tires will absorb a little more than the Vegas. Don't know that your going to see a big enough improvement to alleviate your complaints though. I would ride a Judge and an Adventure type then go with your gut.
  3. Humbucker

Humbucker New Member

Well, I actually did get a chance to take a short demo ride on a Judge a couple of weeks ago when the Victory truck was here. It definately puts you in a more upright seating position and the tires sure are on the hefty side. But while I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this bike, we didn't go through too many bad patches of road but when we did, it seemed to swallow those potholes pretty decently, better then I would have thought anyway.
  4. dsjr

dsjr New Member

08 Vegas Low - Yamaha RD-350 - 2012 Victory High Ball
    Like crap. The lean combined with conventional forks will give it a rough ride. I hate to say it but the Kingpin would do much better in those conditions.
  5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    Good point. I put Hammer V bars on my KP to lean me just a bit forward and it's helped my back comfort a lot. Inverted forks and decent sized tires, it's a very comfortable ride for me, but it's no adventure bike.
  6. Chaz1369

Chaz1369 New Member

2013 Victory Judge
    Not sure how bad your back is. I like the slight lean forward and the mid controls it takes the pressure off my back and rides comfortably on both long and short trips. Now to define my definition of a long trip it is not a tour bike so for me a long trip is 4-5 hours in the saddle. The suspension is basic so dsjr is not wrong, a KP would be better for most if you like sitting straight up. Also I do feel the bumps on the rougher roads but not enough to bother me. Of course I'm a bit bias since I own one.
  7. patso1968

patso1968 Member

2013 Judge
    the roads are rough in my neck of the woods (northern ontario) & i find my judge a bit choppy over sharp edged bumps (still better than my gpz was) but it soaks up most of the smaller stuff easily
  8. Boss106Judge

Boss106Judge New Member

2013 Judge
    Mid-Mounted Controls did wonders for me. I'm a tall rider, and I actually find the Judge to accommodate me very well. I find the forward position actually allows me to use the full length of my arms, while other bikes leave a lot of slack in them. I'm very aggressive on the Judge - which I found helpful when taking it over gravel pavement. I drove out to rural Virginia this weekend, which included some driving over loose gravel and pot holes. I thought the Judge did very well for a street bike.
  9. jasonhc73

jasonhc73 New Member

13 Judge Suede Nuclear Sunset
    I just got my Judge today, and was quite surprised at how stiff the front springs are. My trade in had a fully adjustable front end and was no where near has hard as this. I have plenty of bumpy roads in my town and this bike feels them all... Maybe the front air is too much. So, since the wheels are the exact same size front and rear, why is the rear 10mm wider?
  10. Roo5ter

Roo5ter New Member

Judge
    Just because the wheels are the same size doesnt mean it wont fit more than one tire width. Its fine to use a few different tire widths on a certain size wheel.
  11. jasonhc73

jasonhc73 New Member

13 Judge Suede Nuclear Sunset
    Yea, I understand... I'm just thinking, same tire size just means less expensive tires later when it comes to new tires.. I bet it's a front tire/rear tire design difference, ya know, drive and driven type of issue.