Hell Got Cold, But Didn't Freeze Over After All!

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Ghostrider25, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Victory Vision
    This is strange to even be writing this!

As you guys know, I was not happy when Polaris killed Victory. I was never going to buy another Polaris product, F them! Then the Vision left me on the side of the road by popping a regulaitor. The bike is still sitting in the shop waiting for - you guessed it - a regulator. Heeeere we go! I was going to take care of the nagging clutch issues I have been having while the bike was in there, and those parts have already come in. Of course, those came from Lloydz and Barnett. Yes, I am waiting for a Victory part from Polaris.

I was down there today discussing this with the service manager when the owner walks up and says to me "Are you ready to make the switch?" I was about to tell him no when he pointed across the floor to a brand new Chieftain Limited. I walked over to this thing and let me tell you, this is a badass bike. I wanted so much not to like it, but there is no getting around it, she's a bute. Just up and down, everywhere - she's a bute!

While we were going over the features and the ride command, I told him that this is all great, but I still do not fit on the thing! He asked me if I had ever tried the extended reach tour seat. I said no of course. So what's he do? Looks at me and says " I have one here, I will put it on and you can take her out for an extended test so you can really see what she's got. " They put the seat on, I gave them the key to my Spyder, transferred my stuff and off I went!

The bike is striking when you first approach it. The new front wheel and fender make all the difference in the look; it is a huge improvement. And i'll be damned if this new seat didn't put me in a great riding position; you go up an inch and back about 2-3 inches. Fit and finish of the machine is truly impressive. The stereo kicks ass and the ride command is awesome. I didn't think I was gonna like it, but its great. The engine has a lot of character; more than I remember these things having in the other Indians i have ridden. Great torque, really good power everywhere in the band and extremely smooth. Wonderful exhaust note. The throttle by wire is very precise and feels really good. If you roll on anywhere in the band the response is immediate. Going through the gears is silky smooth both up and down and the clutch is great! I also noticed that my hands fall right down to the grips.

So I rode most of the afternoon and went through highway, curvy roads, back roads, I even hit some rain and it handled everything with ease. I was totally blown away. I have put almost a tank of gas through it! When I got home I brought my Wife down to get her input and she likes it too, She tried her best to be mad at me, but she liked it! After I gave her the tour she just looked at me and said "it's up to you. But if you do this, THAT IS IT! No more damned motorcycles!"

So I have been pondering this all night. What to do? Fix the Vision (well, if the regulator ever gets there) and give it another chance or make the move to the limited? This is a hard decision. I can't believe I am on the verge of buying an Indian!

So what say you, brothers?

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    My dealer never mentioned a different seat option when I complained about the ergos. You have me curious about that. Not that I could afford the bike you're talking about. Not even with selling both my Visions and adding in my cat pelts.

I think you should do what makes you and the wife happy. If yall are both happy on the Indian go for it. However, I wouldnt write off your Vision just because of this issue.

Figure out what is the best choice for you financially and physically for you and the wife. Whatever you decide I'll be happy for you.

Another issue for me is I have way too many Vic jackets to start over.

If you decide to part with the Vision I'll start the bidding at 10 cat pelts.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

2014 Victory Vision
    Thanks Dog. The seat actually is for the Roadmaster but it bolted right onto the Chieftain. As tempting as those Cat pelts are the dealer is giving me a pretty decent trade in for the Vision. He is really rolling up his sleeves to get this done. I have to say I really appreciate it too. One of the things I do like about the Limited is how much lighter it feels compared to the Viz. I have never had an issue with the weight but when you spend time on a lighter bike it becomes noticeable. The big wheel up front is fantastic and the bike handles really well with it; you don't even know it's there. That said, it is NOT as comfortable as the Vision. Nothing ever could be. And to be honest, I think I might miss that 106. The 106 has longer legs than the 111, but the 111 is strong everywhere - there really isn't a weak spot. But it does sign off a little early. It doesn't bother me for some reason though...

• Like Like x 1
  4. rcupp

rcupp Active Member

2012 Crossroads, 2012 Jackpot, 2007 Guzzi Sold
    OH NO....Don't you do it too!!
    They will screw you again when they shitcan Indian!!

I have 12 cat pelts and 3 squirrel nuts to offer...

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    It sounds like you have already made up your mind...

Ya know, HD has comparable regulator/rectifiers, that's what I'm using. There are also aftermarket options. No need to wait for the OEM part.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. SPEEDFREAK

SPEEDFREAK Well-Known Member

cross country tour 2014
    is there anything you don't know? about bikes

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SPEEDFREAK

SPEEDFREAK Well-Known Member

cross country tour 2014
    ghost rider I took a test ride a couple years ago on three different Indians and they are everthing you say. I was impressed, just to cramped, but if the seat fixes that? it would be tough not to get one.

8. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    It'd be easy not to get one, simply because they are sold by the same company that bailed on us before. Do any of you think Polaris gives a f**k about you?

A seat that moves you back... is that really the best solution to a small bike? Now your weight is quite far back on the bike. Add a passenger and what happens to the steering of that Chieftain? They are already 'twitchy' to start with.

No matter how much lipstick and make-up you put on the Indian, the Vision will still kick the piss out of it.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ariesnc

Ariesnc Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Magnum
    I say if the vision is paid for I would keep it. However if you feel your not going to have the dependable bike you deserve then make a move. Your waiting on a part for the vision so will you be in the same boat when it's time for a part for the chieftain? It's the same company you know! So weigh the pros and cons and do what you feel is best for you and your family.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. navycraig

navycraig Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Crossroads LE #258
    If Kyle can't figure out and fix my bike next Friday I may go buy one.

Okay, not really, but this pucking thing is pissing me off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. blackslide

blackslide Member

None
    A friend has ordered a bunch of rectifiers from china. A bunch of the better ones with big heatsinks.

If I remember correct, he paid the price of two aftermarket rectifiers for a dozen of those, including shipping (took two months to arrive). His bike and atv have not complained. Charge voltages are spot on.

He had one spare when it acted up, now he's got 11 lives :)

12. Jasperboy

Jasperboy Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2015 Victory Gunner
    No worse feeling than not being confident you bike will start, or that it might strand you someplace. Indians are pretty bikes, but I've read just as much "hate" about heat issues, valve spring clacking issues, etc... and don't forget the parent company track record. I'd find an aftermarket alternator and rebuild the clutch. New and shiny is always appealing, until the shine wheres off before the payments do.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. NY mike

NY mike Active Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    @Ghostrider25 Im hoping I get some good years trouble free out of my magnum. With 80% of my miles being done running cross country im hoping I dont get into that situation more then once because like you I wont be able to deal with it. And like you I will have to move in another direction and sh"t I left harley for victory yeah my luck

14. blackslide

blackslide Member

None
    I saw the Chieftain at a dealer. Nice looking bike. But 33900€ ($37000) with some bits and pieces to buy on top... I have a 500€ ($550) clunker as a daily driver. I'm counting my pennies to maybe get a used Vegas or Hammer. A beat up 2005-2011 costs around 5000-7000€ ($5500-7700) here. Actually have to go "overseas" and pay 1500-2000€ of taxes on top of that. But a new Vegas runs 23-24000€. Crazy.

Also, I like the Vic steel frame looks. Not a fan of the 40-50s revisited design of Indian.. Like the Octane too, but can't afford two bikes.

Just to put things in perspective, salaries are usually 1800-2000€/month here. After tax, rent, etc. You end up with 500-700€ for food and stuff, so we're talking big money for bike and insurance around here.

Insurance is over 1k€/year minimum and we only get to drive 4-5 months. It snowed yesterday... Gosh, Hawaii seems like a good idea :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Teflon Mike

Teflon Mike Well-Known Member

2014 Vegas 8 Ball & 2015 Magnum
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1