Heated Clothing

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by Ironman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Ironman

Ironman Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Victory XC
    Does anyone have a "best option" for routing wire connection for passenger heated clothing on the Cross Country? is there a power source under the seat or do I have to go all the way to battery?
  2. xharleyguy

xharleyguy New Member

Vision ( Black Betty), Harley Davidson Road glide, Harley Davidson Soft tail Standard

on my Vision I got a power source under the Seat and didn't go all the way to the Battery, hope that help
  3. Ironman

Ironman Member

2012 Victory XC

I purchased the trunk option for the XC. Does anyone know if the 12V power oulet is fused high enough to pemit using it for clothing?
  4. vision_nut

vision_nut Active Member

vision

Look in your owners manual. Never do any wiring with out a test meter
  5. Gamewarden

Gamewarden Member

I bought my wife a heated Gerbing vest, she loves it. I wired it back to the battery. I was unsure of the amp draw at the heated seat plug located under the seat although I am sure it would be OK.
  6. DTWOR

DTWOR New Member

2011 Pearl White Vision IBA #47523

I'm on a Vision but maybe can give you some ideas.The only circuit I run directly off the battery other than an audio ampis for heated gear (and a handy plug for my battery tender), and because the only time it's in use is when I'm sitting on a running bike so no worries about a dead battery + my switched acc circuit power up the GPS and XM..The Gerbing jacket and gloveswo pull somewhwerearond 10 amps so double that for a passenger.I don't have my manual handy ( @ work or supposed to be) but dont' thinkthe plug in the tour pack isfused heavy enough.Go to www.powerlet.com they have all kinds of surface or flush mount powerlet plugs.
  7. Ironman

Ironman Member

2012 Victory XC

Thanks DTWOR the heated clothes connectionwill bestrictly for the passenger in this case. I might be ok if we're only looking at 10Amp draw. I have not been able to find out what that circuit is capable of. I asked the salesman and he thought it would be adequate?
  8. Vision-in-white

Vision-in-white New Member

2013 Jackpot

Hi,
    Don't know whichXC you are referring to but the 2011XCT has 2 accessory sockets built in.
    One on the dash and one in the front left "glovebox".
    If I am reading the riders manual correctly the main dash socket is wired for 20A and the "glovebox" socket is wired for 10A(page 102)
    Hope this helps
    cheers
  9. Ironman

Ironman Member

2012 Victory XC

Thanks VIW, I was looking for the fused level of the outlet in the detachable trunk. My quess is it's probabaly 10A given that the XCT's glove box outlet is 10A. It looks like I'll have to hard wire the connection all the way up to the battery.
  10. Gamewarden

Gamewarden Member

I put in a heated Gerbing vest and wired it back to the battery. The cable they give you is not log enough to get back to the passenger seat so you will need an extension.
  11. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Active Member

Just added this Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 Heated vest to my 2011 Vision.

I love this it fits well and has an adjustable thermostat.

I extended the leads for the battery and ran it in to the left saddlebag.

When needed I just pop it up along side the saddle,when its not needed it folds into one of the small compartments.

The Vest comes with a thigh strap for the controller.

They have two vest options collar or not.

I went with collarless.

The controller has two outputs so if you have the pants both plug right in and have seperate dials.
    I do not plan on getting pants because with the Vision heated seat and leather chaps I'm warm enough.

They also offer gloves, pants liner and jacket liner.

The duel controller can also be used for driver and passenger so both can have one heated garment
    A nice option
  12. LeRose

LeRose Member

2012 Cross Country Tour (Serenity)
    That doesn't look like the Gerbings plug. What did you use? That is a pretty slick spot to tuck that outlet. Would work for the.CCT as well, I reckon. Better hurry...snowing about ten miles west of here today...
  13. Ironman

Ironman Member

2012 Victory XC

I ended up running the lead back from the battery and I came up through the rear seat where the passenger hand hold does. I have the plug secured to the leather strap and I can pull it up or hide it as needed. works great. It did require an extension because the battery connection pigtail is not long enough to reach the rear seat but I have that all heat shrink wrapped in order to keep the connection dry.
    Thanks for the input.