GPS Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Victory Magnum' started by Poseidon, Dec 2, 2016.

1. JamesBond

JamesBond Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 Magnum/ 2005 Big Dog Chopper
    Yeah I know. Im just stating that, who needs a gps installed when we have cell phones that do the same thing.

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    ...Until there is no cell signal. Try using a cell phone for GPS up in the mountains. It's worthless!!!

There are other things a GPS can do that a cell phone can't. Try planning a route or sharing a route with another rider from a cell phone.

3. JamesBond

JamesBond Active Member

2015 Magnum/ 2005 Big Dog Chopper
    Dont know what phone your running but i can do all that and more even with no signal the route can be saved and shared

4. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    Only if you are running an "offline GPS app" with downloaded maps stored on your phone. The map app most phones come with requires a cell signal. Unless the GPS apps have changed since the last time I looked at them, they all require subscription service that will eventually cost more than buying a stand alone GPS with free map updates. The ones that didn't require a subscription were really dumbed down and had almost no features. Being able to plan routes out on the computer, then email the file to a friend already formatted for Garmin is huge as well. Again I could be wrong, but when I was looking at those features on phone apps, most required the other person to have the same phone and app to be able to share routes.

Personally, I prefer to have a full featured GPS like the 590 that I bought. I can upload topo maps and trail maps and take it off road on my ATV's as well. (Check out gpsfiledepot.com) Also, if it works as advertised, and I'm not holding my breath, the "find curvy roads" feature should be a fun option!

The newer GPS's have lane guidance which is also very helpful around big cities on the interstate where it isn't uncommon to have 3 or 4 lanes split one way and 3 or 4 lanes split off another. It makes it difficult to know what lane to be in if you are not familiar with the area.

Having the live traffic updates and weather overlays are other nice features if you want to subscribe to something. Doubt I would use the live traffic. I purposely ride where I know there won't be any traffic. The weather overlay would be awesome for riding around scattered showers up in the mountains tho!

I'm not sure how well it will work yet, but the GPS, when hardwired in, will give those on XC's or XCT's the ability to bluetooth music thru their stereo.

Now, the number one reason I prefer to use a stand alone GPS is that I rely too much on my phone for business. Last thing I need is for it to fall out of the handlebar mount at 75mph or get wet and ruined on a ride. Yeah, I know... water proof and shock proof cases. They are a royal PITA for daily use tho! I don't have the patience for them thru the week. I am also not going to take one of those cases on and off just for weekend rides. A stand alone GPS works best for me. If your phone works for you, thats great. I guess that is why both are still available after all these years they have both been out on the market.

5. Former Harley rider

Former Harley rider New Member

2016 Victory Magnum
    Alright Poseidon, I have been trying to wait patiently for your results, but with the cold weather I have been doing nothing but checking this site over and over again. Did you get a chance to try out the GPS/ Bluetooth connection?

6. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    Sorry, no. Still haven't finished it yet. Was busy digging out of all this white sh!t on the ground for a good portion of the weekend. I worked on the stereo and GPS install some, but had to walk away from the microscopic soldering of the GPS connection connection for a while. Small pins, tiny wires, and fat fingers just don't work well together!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Former Harley rider

2016 Victory Magnum
    Good morning Poseidon, I see you went the GPS connector route. Just wondering if you attempted bluetooth first? and if so did it play thru speakers? I'm thinking I got to get started making decisions on what to get for my cross country trip. Thanks

8. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    No. I started on the stereo upgrade before the GPS arrived. I'm planning to test it out once I get everything completed.

9. mpcar1

mpcar1 New Member

Victory 2015 Magnum Midnight Cherry #35
    I have had spotty cell coverage when my Garmin never went down. Cell phone is great as long as you have coverage. This is why I like my Zumo 665 with XM.
    Mikec...Louisville KY

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Former Harley rider

2016 Victory Magnum
    Hey Poseidon, Did you get a chance to try out the GPS/ Bluetooth connection?

11. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    Not yet. Still have to finish up the other mods first. Only time I get to work on it is the weekends. Always other things I have to do mixed in on the weekends as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    Finally have an answer for you. It works perfectly thru bluetooth! Nav instructions come across the stereo speakers. Downside is you have to switch to the "Bluetooth" option which only gives you Nav directions, so no music unless maybe if you put some songs on a mini SD card and insert it in the slot under the battery on the Garmin... not sure if that would work or not. You may also be able to pair your phone to the Garmin, then pair the Garmin to the Magnum's stereo. I saw that option on the Garmin when I was pairing it to the stereo, but I didn't try it.

Hardwiring the Garmin harness to your bike isn't really that difficult, especially if you either cut the connector off and connect the wires directly or use the larger connector pictured in the 590 install thread. The Garmin harness with the dock and RAM mount hardware comes with the Garmin 590. Nothing extra to buy. If you take your time, you would probably still finish it up in an afternoon. When it is hard wired in, you can listen to music thru the USB connector in the bag, or bluetooth and the Garmin will interrupt the music with directions, then the music resumes. Here is a link to the install instructions thread.

Garmin Zumo 590LM Install

Let me know what you decide to do. Also, hit me up if you have any questions. happy to help.

13. Former Harley rider

2016 Victory Magnum
    Thanks for the info. I understand the SD card is a good option and Ipod , mp3 and pandora. My only concern with that is the same playlist over and over during my planned trip across country this spring. I see the Garmin 665 has a XM radio on it which would be great, have to give up a little screen size but I don't plan on staring at it across Texas. My biggest wish was to hear the commands thru the radio and not have to have to wear an ear piece. So with your work I now have that answer . Thanks

14. Former Harley rider

2016 Victory Magnum
    I want to give a shout out to Poseidon for his post on GPS install. He was kind enough to answer all of my questions , w/o his help my Zumo 665 would still be laying in the box. Thanks Guy and if you ever get to Murrells inlet bike week let me know. I owe you at least 2 beers. Also I would like to thank Dave Pilot who made my harness and shipped it right out. I ordered it on a Sunday and got it today. Thanks Dave, I know there was no way I was going to solder those tiny pins into that tiny connector. Now I have to get XM radio turned on to see how that works out, but the stock stereo works fine and the turn by turn come right across it.

• Like Like x 1