epa and the victory engine.

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by poppamark, Dec 19, 2016.

1. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 xcountry
    Just a simple question: how is it that putting on after market pipes or cams or what ever results in warnings of" for race or off road use only"? When all we are trying to do is build a better proforming scoot that still looks like the bike that appeals to us, read vtwin. When lots of other bikes( non vtwin) achieve great #s and still manage to stay out of the epa's way.

2. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Liquid cooling...

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

2011 xcountry
    .....and

4. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    They are more efficient... More power, More heat and fluid is a reliable method to remove it than air. To me the V-Twin air cool, is a pretty old design. But like aviation is a simpler and less expensive concept and like the radial, just a cool engine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    The bigger the bore the harder it is to stay compliant. Take a huge super bike like the Ninja 1400. It is a 4 cylinder so each cylinder is only 350 CC's compared to Vic's 868 CC cylinder.
    The other 4 cyl bikes get their HP from high RPM's. They may have a shorter stroke too but not sure on that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

2011 xcountry
    Ya I know I just want it all I guess.

7. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Me too, with the releasing of the real Vic engine from its restraints of some bloated alphabet soap agency telling me what I can do with a vehicle saving gas and a hobby... I am concerned with the pollution from farts than a 1% vehicle count.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    More in = more out. When we start opening up the intakes, exhausts, cams, big bores and such we're gaining performance by getting a lot more fuel in and burnt each combustion cycle. More fuel in, more emissions out. It's not limited to air cooled V-twins either, there's more than a few ways to get more power out of a Hyabusa and make it EPA non compliant in the process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rodhotter

rodhotter Well-Known Member

2013 victory hammer
    i am waiting to see what polaris does to meet the tougher Euro4 requirements. that is the reason for the new hardly engines, with the whole european union having a bigger market than the USA its all about $$$$. adding required ABS is easy but can the current air-oil cooled engines be made compliant????

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    The current Freedom 106 already IS Euro4 compliant as it has been tested and passed in the existing cruisers. My understanding of Euro4 is that each model has to be tested which comes with a high price. Which leads me to believe that models which aren't going to exist much longer, or models that aren't going to keep that engine much longer got dropped while the models that are going to continue, and continue with that engine got the money spent for testing.

In other words, why pay to get the Cross Country tested if it's getting a new engine and will have to be tested all over again in six months? That or maybe cruisers just sell better in Europe so they said screw it with the big touring bikes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Manufacturers covering their a$$es.

12. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

2011 xcountry
    I may catch some shrapnel for this post but in some ways harley might be doing a better job than victory right now (if this doesn't wake muzza up nothing will) .what I'm refering to is at least trying to maintain the look of an air cooled vtwin and addressing the need for some kind of cooling for the heads. I'm not getting into actual proformance #s . I guess what I'm saying is I hope vic doesn't come out with some 140 hp fire breathing monster engine that looks like shnit just so it can be a proformance motor. That I will eventually have to talk myself into liking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. krb

krb Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country 8 Ball
    Not hard to do since the lack of connecting rod tubes leaves the engine looking more like a water cooled Japanese bike (Honda VTX for example) than a "classic" air cooled unit. Especially on the XC/XR/Magnum since the grill in front of the engine looks like it should contain a radiator.

I'm not putting down the styling or anything, just saying that it doesn't have that old skool air cooled look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Um yeah. If you don't want to catch shrapnel you should think about what you're saying. Victory has a 17 year head start over Harley at adding cooling to a 4-valve air cooled motor and it still outperforms Harley's latest. First you didn't know that the Freedom 106 has already past Euro4 and now you don't know that Vic's use oil as a coolant since 1999? Dayum. I wouldn't worry about future engines if I were you. IF Victory does come out with a 140 hp fire breather actual riders will be flocking to the brand in droves and the used market will be flooded with slow but pretty bikes for the show and tell crowd.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    Let's see what they come up with. If it is a restyled fire breathing Vision I know my present bike will be for sale. I am a rider and love the comfort of my Vision but a smoother quieter performance engine would go a long ways to convincing me to make the trade.

• Agree Agree x 1