Driver backrest

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Doc_Clockwork, May 9, 2012.

1. Doc_Clockwork

Doc_Clockwork New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Victory Vision Tour
    I've been looking into a driver's backrest for my 2012 Vision. Aside from the irritation I feel at having to purchase an additional mount for almost $100 - really, Victory? Really? - the $209 for the backrest itself seems about par for backrests in general. My question is this: The Utopia backrest sells for $215 and appears to include its own mounting bracket. Can anyone speak to the quality of it in comparison to the Victory one? If I can buy a backrest complete with mount for less and get similar quality, it seems like a no-brainer. I understand that the post is adjustable, but how is the material and the stitching? Oh, and the comfort - I'd like to know about that, too. And actually, does anyone else know of any other backrest options that don't require buying an entirely new seat?

2. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Active Member

The main difference is the Utopia has a bracket that sits above the pillions seat and is always present. The Ma Vic backrest is just a blade that fits in the slot when removed there is nothing on the pillions seat.

3. Doc_Clockwork

Doc_Clockwork New Member

2012 Victory Vision Tour
    That's good to know. Thanks, Trek! It is aggravating that such a small thing costs so much, though. Total cost for them to make one is probably less than $20! :taz:

4. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Member

2012 Cross Roads
    I will watch this thread closely because I want a Drivers backrest also. I will share what I have found..... Drivers Backrest PN 2878036 @ Hondaeasttoledo.com $194.99 Backrest Mount PN 2877809 @ Hondaeasttoledo.com $87.00 Use Discount Code VICTORYFORUM get 10% off if ordering from Internet. I'm really interested what others have bought and what they like/Dislike with the version they got. TechnoGeek

5. Trekwolf164

I have the Ma Vic backrest and I love it.[​IMG]

6. Doc_Clockwork

Doc_Clockwork New Member

2012 Victory Vision Tour
    Well, that would get the price for Victory's underneath $300 (before shipping). That's the best pricing I've seen for theirs. Still wonder what other options are out there, if any. Mustang doesn't seem to have anything for the Vision, and Corbin . . . well, anyone buying anything Corbin is going to pay through the nose. It's quality stuff, but geez.

7. phoenix9

phoenix9 Active Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001
    Trek, Does the Ma Vic backrest push you forward at all? To anyone asking about the Utopia with quick disconnect, I have it on my Vision and the quality is impeccable. 1st class all the way, and the comfort is amazing. If I had any complaint about the Utopia, it would be that it may be a little too big. It is perfect when I ride solo, but my wife does not like it as she feels it takes up too much space, so I take it off when I ride 2-up. Hope that helps.

8. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member

Cobra Driver, Callaway Irons
    Here's a video on the Utopia Backrest from October 2008: [video]2371[/video]

9. Trekwolf164

It can if you want it to there is a set screw near the base of the pad that can be adjusted. The blade is very flexible and gives a rocking chair like feel

10. SkooterRob

SkooterRob Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour/ 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 800b4 classic
    With the Vic back rest you can ajust the ajustment screw but you can also ajust the hight by pushing it down or pulling it up. You can also fold it down when up in the top position then push it back against the seat back to position you futher forward in the seat if you have short arms. this how I use it the most and I get extra support in the small of my back to relieve my lower back problems. when you want to remove it you just pull it out of the bracket and stick it in the saddle bag and lock it away. On my 2011 VV the brack was already in place so I only had to get the back rest and I made them throw it in on the deal when I bought the bike.

11. Doc_Clockwork

Doc_Clockwork New Member

2012 Victory Vision Tour
    The 2011 came with the bracket already in place? I've been reading everywhere that to use the backrest on the Vision you had to have the bracket. It may well be that the 2012 already has it as well. I'll pull the seat and see.

12. Trekwolf164

My 2011 did not have the bracket.

13. Doc_Clockwork

Doc_Clockwork New Member

2012 Victory Vision Tour
    Okay, so, having done a little late-night/early-morning wrenching, I can conclusively say the 2012 doesn't come with a bracket either. Since I know you love the pictures . . . [​IMG] My apologies for the quality. It was taken with a cell phone that I couldn't seem to get a clear shot with. At any rate, the four bracket holes are clearly there and empty.

14. MeSeaHunt

MeSeaHunt Banned

2011 Pearl White Vision
    I bought the Utopia, cost less than $200 w/my military discount and install took about 10min. I went w/it because it is larger than the Vic and does not show bracket like the Vic? But to each their own, both I'm sure will do the job!! :scooter:

15. Trekwolf164

If you look at the video Radioteacher made the Utopia bracket is above the pillion seat. I have the Ma Vic it has no external bracket the bracket is under the seat the rest is on a blade that inserts and removes leaving no trace of hardware. The Utopia is very large but also square in looks . I like the shape of the Ma Vic and the quick in and out to allow for a passenger.