Cross Country Tour Stereo upgrades

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by bfdvp71, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bfdvp71

bfdvp71 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Cross Country Touring Boardwalk Blue
    I've seen numerous threads on stereo upgrades and they are all over the place. Im trying to get as much information as possible and to upgrade for the best cost/value/quality/sound; What are some of the setups that you as other members have installed in your own bikes ? Cool amplifier operation along with use of 6.25" speakers is definitely a priority for this install. Looking to keep all the components that need to be purchased under around 800 bucks or so.
  2. smokeXC

smokeXC Member

Cross Country

For that kind of $$ you can do most anything reasonable you want.
    My set up is a Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 that I got off Amazon for $165 and free shipping.
    I now have 6 1/2" speakers in the front. SORRY, I honestly forget at the moment what kind they are. Polk ???? I do remember they were $139 on amazon and that was a great deal and free shipping as well
    I have the XC so I only need 1 pair of speakers but you will need 2 pair. I would say the 6 1/2" in front with adaptor rings and Polk 5.25 Dxi in rear. This amp is 4 channel so front and rear work great in the bike.I installed everything in a buddy's XC Tour and it just rocked. Sure someone will always push the envolope but the above is very very good and reasonably priced.
  3. TheBucket

TheBucket Member

2012 XCTour

Man o Man...I'm so torn on this. I put in the Kicker speakers from Ma Vic in my '12 XCT. Then I had a ARC Audio 125.4 put in. Here's my take.

Sound is better and louder - no question. Problem is that at anything over 70 mph, you lose so much bass, and have so much road/engine/exhaust noise, it's almost worthless. I'm trying to decide if a speaker upgrade will improve that or not. The guy at the install shop said he could pump 1000 watts thru the speakers, and at those speeds, it would all sound like crap.

Really not sure if it's worth it or not.
  4. bfdvp71

bfdvp71 New Member

Was looking at a similar setup with the amp and speakers. Need some more punch than what the stock setup gives me. Thanks for the info...
  5. smokeXC

smokeXC Member

Cross Country

I was riding in a group ride back in July. A couple was on a Harley Ultra offset to my right rear. He and his girlfriend came up to me during a stopand ask me what radio station I was listening to? I said why? They said I have the loudest stereo on a motorcycle that they ever heard and they liked the music that was playing. They both said they could hear mine loud and clear from behind me. I laughed and told them it is my Ipod music I'm playing. They both laughed and said No wonder they couldn't find the station.Harley guy ask how I got it so loud and clear,............. so I had to let him in on the fact I had an amp under the fairing and 6 1/2" upgraded speakers in there as well. LOL

BTW, you can only do 5 1/4" in the trunk without major work BUT the trunk acts as an enclosure and the bass is better. Simple test is open and close the trunk lid and listen to the difference. There are also a vendor maybe two now that have designed lids for our saddlebags that a 6 1/2" speaker mounts into. I think this is my next direction for more sound.
  6. bfdvp71

bfdvp71 New Member

Ive sourced out all the same components you've used but and looking at the Polk db series instead of the dxi. Both are marine grade and the specs are alike except for the top mount depth for which the db is less at 1 11/16th". Did you use the slim version of the dxi or the regular. Also where did you get your adapter rings ? Item number for them ?? When installing did you run all new speaker wire to everything ? Thanks again for all your info...
  7. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Active Member

Ducati Diavel

was a stereo installer in my younger days, I saw a guy install a small sububwoofer in each of his saddle bags. I think they were in its own enlcosure to keep air tight. He only had a 100 watts mano to them but had them tuned perfectly. at higher speeds you need a bass boost and the front speakers need to handle at least to 60-80hz at low frequency and above. Most bike speakers only spec to 150hz and above. As long as the crossovers and gains are set corerctly they wont distort. here is a free tip,

TIP TIP Behind your speakers on the fairings remove the speakers and fill with acoustical filler/foam makes them sound bigger and keeps the woofers in control. You can also use standard home insulation just make sure it is packed very loosely. Also consider another speaker if you have the room firing into the fairing , make this a mano mid bass signal and it will make your front speaker sound huge. Just little tricks I learned in my day.
  8. smokeXC

smokeXC Member

Cross Country

I don't know much for sure. I think speakers were regular depth. My buddy bought everything that was talked about here in the past for his XC Tour. I just installed it all. They were the 5 1/4" Dxi trunk mounted speakers.

As far as mine goes, an XC with only 2 speakers, I don't have the box anymore. I can't for the life of me remember what they are. They are 6 1/2" though. All of my info on the rings are gone too. I did this a while back and just followed what folks were using on here and another Vic site. They were direct bolt up. Speakers to the rings then rings to the bike locations, very simple. I did find an old PM about the baffle enclosures. They were from Sonic Electronic. Got them online as well. AND GOOD TIP from above, I put some material in behind my 6 1/2's from an old bass enclosure from years ago. Not sure of the difference but I was told the same thing. It makes it better so I believed it and followed though and put a little in.
  9. TCB-1

TCB-1 New Member

Have the Fosgate amp with Focal 6.5" speakers and I also used the sound matt inside my fairing..
  10. bikendad

bikendad Active Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    RF amp here as well with 6.5" Hertz speakers, biketronic adapter rings had to be modified a bit. I hear the hawg wired adapter rings work better. The amp and speakers however totally rock!
  11. jvrydex

jvrydex New Member

2012 XCT, Bride rides 2011 Vegas

The trunk will fit 6.5 inch speakers... Victory offers that size in the upgraded Kickers. For anyone who gets them and is going to follow Vic's instructions oncutting out part of the trunk to fit them...

STOP! Don't do any cutting! There is enough clearance inside the grille to allow the speaker with a bigger magnet to fit- I used closed-cell foam tape- the kind you get at the home centers. It had a sticky clear tape applied to it. Measure what you need to fit around the perimiter of the mounting hole, pull the protective backing and stick it, following around the perimiter of the opening. Locate the screw holes and poke through the foam. Place the speaker in the now padded mount and install the screws- Take care not to drive them all the way in- You want the foam to space the speaker magnet away from the area they told you that has to be cut. So far, no ill-effects from not following directions- on the plus side, my trunk doesn't look all hacked up!
  12. hmd520

hmd520 Vendor

We are currently working with Hawg Wired to develope a true plug and play system. This will have all the hardware and amp brackets included in the kit. It will have capability of being a 4 channel amp(so your choice 2 or 4 speakers). The speakers are 6.5" and come with cross overs. We should have something real soon .If you have any questions give me a call.
    Mike
  13. Potty

Potty Member

2011 Cross Country

I tried to update my speakers with a Kicker 100 watt 2 channel amp with a pair of Polk dbx's. I installed the speaker adaptor rings with speakersand I couldn't get the fairing back on the bike then. I looked and looked and there wasn't any way they were going to work. I don't remember what brand the adaptors are but they wouldn't work for me. I would like to see some pictures of the install with the fairing off.

I then went to Walmart and bought a $40 pair of Pioneer speakers and they soundmuch better then thefactoryKickers.

Anyonelooking for a 100 watt Kicker amp, 2 channeland a set of Polk dbx's give me a shout. Or if someone has some insight I"m more then willing to listen.
  14. kevinx

kevinx Active Member

1955 Hyda Glide

G[​IMG]
  15. kevinx

kevinx Active Member

1955 Hyda Glide

Sorry text did not work. Bolt in compact digitall amp with no heat worries, and great sound. Whole package for $469
  16. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

'12 Vision

Someone needs to come up with a way to add 6 1/2" speakers to the Vision. HMD or WD, up to the task?
  17. hmd520

hmd520 Vendor

Its already been done... you just gotta cut...
  18. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

'12 Vision

C'mon, man. Ya gotta be more specific than that. I've got a sawzall but I can't just fire it up and start hacking away. :)
  19. kajazzman

kajazzman New Member

2011 Cross Country

JV do you have any pic so that i can understand what you mean?
  20. Kris

Kris New Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour & 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    I put in four Polk Audio 5.25 marine grade (135 Watts) speakers, with a Rockford Fosgate 300 watt 4 channel amp. I was suprised that I have blown three speakers so far. The speakers seem to overheat when played at high volume for hours on end (all day rides). The first time I blew a speaker, it took the amp with it. Both were fried. Hats off to Rockford for replacing the amp free of charge, but they lose points for not putting in protective circutry to protect the amp when a speaker shorts. Anyway, the speakers sound good, but don't seem to hold up all that well, in my experiance. Polk Audio tells me the voice coils are designed to melt down at 300 degrees. I would have thought that a 135 watt speaker would be able to handle the power from the amp (75 watts per channel max). I am now looking at getting some Alpine speakers that will hopefully not melt. http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPR-50-Audio-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B004VBK860/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=32YRMXT9Q29BA&coliid=I1IGRQ4VL8J2RJ