Cross Country Tour issues

Discussion in 'Discussions by Model' started by Tango, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Tango

Tango New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Cross Country Tour
    I got my first Victory in September, coming from the metric cruiser community, a '12 Cross Country Tour (hit a deer with my '08 Nomad). Love the bike. Having a couple issues, wanted to know if they were particular to this bike or the model. First (believe it or not), I have to ride three miles on gravel to get to hard road. My drive belt absolutely howls when it gets gravel dust on it. I'm half crazy by the time I get to the car wash. The howl is so loud, people actually turn and look because of the odd sound. Is this normal? The other issue is the weather seal on the bags, it doesn't seal well. The bags get an incredible amount of gravel dust in them. They seem weatherproof for the most part, although occasionally I will get some water ingress from the car wash in one of them. The dust ingress is amazing, like you blew up a small bottle of talc in the bag. Trunk is bomb proof. Anybody else having any problems??

2. Jagular

Jagular New Member

I can't comment on the howling; I haven't taken my XC off road for more than a few dozen feet (driveways, shoulders). But we just returned from a 1300 mile trip through fog, rain, and a heavy dust storm (on I-10) and my saddle bags innards were dry and clean.

3. Tango

Tango New Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    Jag, Thanks for the info. I am going to take her in for warranty maintenance on these items, but wanted to check my expectations beforehand. I've been putting it off trying to milk all the riding I can before things get crappy, but it needs to get done. Mama's getting ticked about her saddlebag being full of dust.

4. phoenix9

phoenix9 Active Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001
    I think the poor fit and finish on the one saddlebag should fall under warranty as it is not protecting the contents inside the bag. As for the squeal, that is a new one to me. You surely cannot be the only one on here that rides on gravel roads on a regular basis. I have been on gravel several times and never experienced what you are describing. I'm guessing something is out of spec....but the question is gonna be: Can they find it? Best of luck to you and please keep us posted as you get more information.

5. Tango

Tango New Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    Phoenix9, Thanks for the info, I will keep all posted on my luck with these issues.

6. marty

marty Active Member

Vision 8 Ball/2010..blacked out pipes&wind screen,Traxxion Dynamics suspension,Lloyd's cams,controller,intake plate
    I live on a dirt road about a mile long Drive belt perfectly quiet.....also perfectly adjusted No dust inside my 2010 Vision

7. ammo_umb

ammo_umb Member

2011 Cross Roads (Crimson)
    Make sure your seals are seated well and if your lids rattle a lot make sure they are adjusted. Next to the latches there should be a thick chunk of rubberized foam with doublestick tape on it; pull this a little to put pressure on the latch and eliminate lid rattle - push it in to make the lids close easier and push on the seals more. Play around with them a little and it should keep the dust out. Also search for "dust" and you'll find hints on how to decrease the dust coming from under your seat.

8. apd4209

apd4209 Member

2014 Indian Chieftain
    I have a 2010 Cross Country, Ive been down several stretches of gravel roads, anywhere from a couple hundred feet up to 5 miles or so. Never had dust in the bags or had the belt squeal. I am guessing you just have a case of things being out of adjustment.

9. MTVic

MTVic Member

Tried searching "dust" and other combination and keep getting "I dusted a Harley"... anyone remember where it is?

10. ammo_umb

ammo_umb Member

2011 Cross Roads (Crimson)
    Sorry, "dust" should have brought up the link below. Please note that you'll have to be a little creative, there aren't pictures but when you pull your seat off you should be able to see what's being talked about amd how their fixes could work. http://www.thevog.net/forum/cross-country-44/cc-hole-in-rear-fender/

11. vision_nut

vision_nut Well-Known Member

vision
    Say open your bags and stick dollar bills on the seals and then close the lid. If you can pull the bills out then you don't have a good seal. Use this trick when you ask your dealer for new ones. Don't go for the BS of putting in new seals cause they will be just as bad. As for your belt I would say its out of alinement. Its to bad vic doesn't go to a mm narrower belt.

12. MTVic

MTVic Member

Bills?? I could put a stack of bills between mine and it would pull through. Only thing there is a "double" rubber flap which doesn't even reach all the way. I want to know how many people CAN'T pull them through. I guess you're one. I guess I need to keep throwing money at it.

13. ca95

ca95 Member

2012 BlueVision
    Never had my bags or trunk leak dust or water, and they had better never leak.

14. OneThumb

OneThumb OT-CAN

I don't have a XC, but as mentioned above check rear axle alignment and belt tension. Belts have been known to get noisy if they get out of spec. One:Thumb:

15. Sutherland

Sutherland Active Member

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT
    We had one guy that bags didn't seal right, one of his riding gloves would come through the gap between cover and bottom, he had it changed through warranty Regards