Couple Kingpin questions

Discussion in 'Victory Kingpin' started by rangermike14, Apr 20, 2017.

1. rangermike14

rangermike14 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Honda
    Guys, have a 2007 Kingpin with Stags 1 drag pipes and I think the previous owner said he put a new stock filter in if. When the bike is at idle it almost sounds like it has a misfire. Is this just how they sound? It runs good and has good power but its just at idle. Also I'm not 100% sure if he had the Stage 1 tune added or not? Would the stock air filter cause an issue? Does it need the K&N with stage 1 pipes? Also once in a great while when you burp the throttle it seems to fall on its face. It's not often at all but I've had it a few times. Are these things normal? I did just do an oil change, cleaned the throttle bodies and after that put new spark plugs in it gapped to the manual spec. Any suggestions? The bike seems to run good and rips too! Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. tree1979

tree1979 Well-Known Member

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Not much difference between stock and stage one honestly, so no issues swapping them. If it's idleing rough, check the throttle body boot. Probably needs to be replaced. Victories don't like having the throttle burped. ECM thinks it's in a rich condition and cuts fuel.

3. tree1979

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Watch this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. rangermike14

rangermike14 Member

Honda
    Yep. I've seen that video. Good guys. I think the throttle body boot is good but will double check tomorrow. It seems to idle pretty good. I've heard they don't like being burped. I know the stage 1 pipes don't do anything for power but is it fine running a stock air filter and tune with the pipes? Is it work changing to a k&n? Is it worth checking if it got a stage 1 tune or does this stuff make no difference? Maybe these are normal things. When your bikes idle does it almost sound like it's got a misfire? I've never owned a Victory. Maybe this is normal. Once you get in the throttle there is zero studded or anything. It goes!

5. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    Vics should ldle at 1000 rpm ... bum bum bum bum
    not potato potato potato; there is a philps ldle adjustment screw you can see on the ignition side, between the cheese wedge and gas tank ... turn it up and see it the ldle levels out : do yo have a tach? if so you what is the rpm at idle?

6. tree1979

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Should idle smoothly. On the left side of the bike, under the tank, at the front, you will see a plastic cover shaped like a coffin.ay have holes in it. Two screws hold it on. This is the air filter cover. Take it off and pull out the filter. If "stock" it will be a disposable paper filter. If it is purple/red it is a k&n. Either way you'll have no issue from the filter. The throttle body adapter may look good, but have cracks you can't see. I'm confused though. You say it idles fine while also saying it sounds like it has a misfire. Which is it? Can't be both. Video would help. If the previous owner added the pipes himself, it probably didn't have the flash done, so it's running on a stock map. If dealer installed it should have had a reflash done. Either way, stage one and drag pipes on an 07 KP don't do anything for performance. Just a noise upgrade.

7. rangermike14

rangermike14 Member

Honda
    Yeah. I will try to take a video. I don't know how to explain it. It idles at about 1000 rpm. It runs great under power and doesn't seem to have any hiccups while driving it. It's only at idle that I'm wondering if it's normal. When I said it idles fine I mean that it keeps right at 1000rpm and doesn't bounce all over and also doesn't seem like it's going to die. Just how it pops. Maybe it is exactly how it should be and I'm sounding like an idiot! :(

8. tree1979

2007 Victory Kingpin
    If its popping you might have an exhaust leak. Does it pop worse when you're at speed and let off the throttle? If so, exhaust leak. May need new exhaust gaskets.

9. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

07 Kingpin Tour
    If you're running a stage one exhaust and it hasn't been retuned, even with a stock filter you're probably running really lean. These bikes come from the factory too lean (IMO) stock let alone with mods. I think you're best bet personally is to look into at least a stage one type filter that you could get cheap and get a fuel tuner or flash from a good tuner. Better yet, spend a few more dollars and get an aftermarket airbox and get rid of that UGLY plastic airbox and a tuner, get it tuned and enjoy the **** out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rangermike14

rangermike14 Member

Honda

This may be the case. It does seems to pop and backfire some when downshifting and letting off throttle. Will the dealer plug in and tell me if it has a stage 1 tune if I bring it in? If it doesn't can I still get one or would I need to get the tuner?

11. tree1979

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Regardless, you would be better off with a tuner. Stage 1 is crap

12. rangermike14

rangermike14 Member

Honda
    Here's the video. You can't really hear what I'm talking about though.

13. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    You're are wack brother ... I don't hear anything out of the ordinary

14. rangermike14

rangermike14 Member

Honda
    You can't really hear what I'm talking about but I hope your right!! These pipes aren't great for power but I sure love the sound! And yes......I've been told before that I'm Wack! Haha. :dankk2:

• Like Like x 1