College Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by festes73, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Mountainrider

Mountainrider Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Roads
    People think the SEC is down this year just wait until the bowl games and then we will see who has the most wins over other teams. The SEC might not dominate this year but I would not be running my mouth to much until the games are over. One thing that makes college football so much fun is because it's so unpredictable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

2014 Victory Vision
    Alabama will rub out Washington for sure. Not so sure about the OSU - Clemson game. For that matter, not so sure OSU should even be in there. Penn St. should have gone. What is the point of being the Big Ten Champion if the committee is just going to overlook it all and give a pass to the Buckeyes? Doesn't seem right to me. The same argument people are using about Michigan not getting in (which I agree with, they did not take care of their business) should be used with OSU; they did not take care of their business when they lost to the Nittany Lions. But if Clemson takes them out then there is some justice.

But that is the way it is with these things. Nobody is beating 'Bama anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. The OSU - Clemson game WILL be the game to watch!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. a0z17859

a0z17859 Active Member

2004 Victory Vegas
    So the only criteria that you think matters is a conference championship, and a 2 loss Penn State is more deserving than Ohio State? Especially since one loss was to a non conference opponent, and the other was a throttling by Michigan? I also believe that overall record should play in to deciding a conference champion. Not just conference record.

What the committee does is look at the entire body of work through the season. Ohio state had one of the most difficult non conference schedules of anyone in contention. One of the main things you have to look at is if you put 2 teams together today who do you believe will win. I don't think Penn State wins a second time, and probably only beats Washington, if anyone that is in the playoff.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe that another large factor in the committee's mind is value a team brings. Ohio state has the edge there over almost every other school in the NCAA. The reality is Ohio State travels extremely well, and only a fool would believe that money is not a factor in deciding these games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ghostrider25

2014 Victory Vision
    Absolutely. If they are only going run a 4 team playoff, and a team wins the Conference title, that team has earned the right to play and should be in. Period. OSU got beat by Clemson and were gifted a win over Michigan. Penn State should have gotten the nod.

Frankly I don't give a sh!t about what value a team brings. That is like saying that even though the Washington Redskins - that's right, I said it - wins the division, they are going to pick the Dallas Cowboys over them to go to the playoffs because it is believed that the Cowboys bring more value. What a crock of sh!t. And what you said about the money aspect is the reality of what drove this decision. So it's all bullsh!t and 'Bama is going to whip whomever goes up against them anyway. I hope Clemson blows OSU out, actually.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mountainrider

2011 Cross Roads
    OSU fans have nothing to cheer about. They were gifted a place into the play offs. If you did not play for a division championship then you are not the best team in the conference. Pure and simple. You should earn your spot not let a group give it to you. That's like taking welfare. If they were to end up wining the national title it would not be the same as if Alabama was to win it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. tyrfryr

tyrfryr Active Member

Cross Roads Classic
    IMHO, the selection committee screwed up. Playoff to put 4 best teams on the field for head to head battle, (should be at least 8, again IMHO),loser go home. Penn State on game day was the better team over Ohio State, so which should still be in? Don't get me wrong, on any givin' day my money would be on Ohio State over Penn State, and on another day my money would be on Michigan over Ohio State. Just sayin', Ohio State lost to Big 10 champ and is still playing, champ not in it. Agree, Alabama should take the prize with ease, but on any givin' day? Guess I love an underdog, but wouldn't it be fun if Washington won?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ghostrider25

2014 Victory Vision
    Hell yeah it would! Talk about shocking the world. I would love to see that. No disrespect to the other teams, but that would just be wild.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Pacman1

Pacman1 New Member

2016 magnum
    Would not count out clemson. dabo would love another shot at nick. the sec is down this year and the big 12 or 10 whatever it is is up. penn State beating ohio state was a fluke. the weather had a lot to do with it but conference championship was the big factor when it all started. now its money. penn State also travels well. dont get me wrong I might be from pa but im a clemson alumn. love them tigers!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Gunner
    I wanted to red X this lol but only because I'm an Alabama boy, born and raised. I actually think the Bama/Washington game will be a good one. Washington is going to play their hearts out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Ace22

Ace22 Active Member

'11 Ness Cross Country
    Penn State has a case be be in, but so do a few other teams. Who roots for a conference and not a team? Really? Strength of schedule, losses/wins, etc. all factor in.
    The beauty of a playoff is that anybody can win on a certain day. All 4 teams voted in are the correct choice, and I would love to see an upset, but I really think an 8 team playoff is needed. Final thought, it is Alabama's to lose as everyone expects them to win out.
    If you want to go by the final BCS calculations, here is what the results are:

BCS.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country 8-Ball and 2016 Vegas 8-Ball
    "41" BOWL games, that's 82 teams!!,...tell me it's not about the almighty dollar :banghead: Teams #40 and 41 have to be REAL proud:bsflag:bet they'd rather be at DISNEY LAND :badgrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Ghostrider25

2014 Victory Vision
    I don't really have a dog in this fight at all, I just really like the college game because these kids play so hard, and play at a pretty high level. I would not be opposed to an 8 team format either for the championship playoff. With the 4 team arrangement it will always leave the committee with some tough choices to make. They do the best they can. Penn State may not have gotten in the playoff, but they are playing in the Rose Bowl against a really hot USC team, so this could be a great matchup as well. I'll be watching for sure!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mountainrider

2011 Cross Roads
    Bowl games are money. If they keep on pretty soon there will be a bowl game for every college. It's like handing out trophies for loosing. I am a Georgia Bulldog fan but we sucked this year and yet we are going to the Liberty Bowl which is a decent bowl. What the hell I mean we really sucked and we are going to a bowl that will bring in millions of dollars. It should be good game because TCU matches up good against us. We will kick their ass :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mountainrider

2011 Cross Roads
    • Like Like x 1
  15. norman

norman Well-Known Member

Cross Country (Suede Nuclear Sunset)

• Like Like x 3