Catastrophic transmission failure on my 2006 KingPin. Very dangerous.

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Merkin, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Merkin

Merkin New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]On Tuesday November 13th while riding my 2006 KingPin in the countryside of Lancaster PA. I sufferd a catastrophic and extremely dangerous transmission failure. 100 Cube inch, 6 spd.
    I was aproaching a Stop sign and downshifting from 4th to 3rd . There was a loud bang, the engine halted, and the rear tire locked up. I came to a screaching halt in the middle of the road. It was through forces unknow that I did not crash or get hit by another vehicle. The gears were mashed tight withthe rear wheel locked up. Pulling in the clutch did not release the rear tire. I had to enlist the help of some passersby to brute force the bike off of the road. A flat bed was required to remove the bike from the scene.
    I have opened a case with Polaris industies (2567831)and the bike is at Herlenys Victory/Polaris in Elizabethtown PA. The bike is completely disassembled. The engine is out with the jugs off and the cases split.
    They found "shift dogs" from the gears broken off in the case.Thegears are toast. 2-3-and4th.
    Ther rear tire is bad from the skid.This bike has 18K miles. I have driven it since 400 miles.It has been dealer maintained using Victory oil and adhering the the factory maintenance schedule. It has never been riden hard. It has never been down, nor in an accident.
    I dare not think of the outcome I were in a turn or going faster. It could have been the end.
    I am waiting to hear from Polaris customer service on this issue. I will keep you all posted on how this is handled.
  2. alanATW

alanATW Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Sunset Red Vision

I'm glad you were not injured or worse. Something to be thankful for this season. Hope you're able to get a satisfactory response from Victory and get back on the road. Good Luck!!
  3. clif02

clif02 Active Member

Victory Vision, Indian Chieftain

Wow! Glad you came through without getting hurt! Let us know how everything works out.
  4. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf New Member

Cross Country Tour

Man you were so lucky, hope everyhting works outs in the end.
  5. dogger

dogger Member

2011 Vic 8 ball

I would say best of luck to you but I think you already have it
  6. cook06vegas

cook06vegas Member

DAMN! Mechanical **** fails, but this is wierd. Glad you didn't get hurt!
  7. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Active Member

Ducati Diavel

Glad you are OK Hope they take care of you.
  8. h7wae14t

h7wae14t Active Member

2009 Kingpin
    what did the dealer say? imperfections/stress cracks? keep us informed. glad no one was injured.
  9. JayFL726

JayFL726 Active Member

2012 Cross Country

Definitely a Scary Experience , glad you came out okay ..
  10. Scooter70

Scooter70 New Member

2007 Victory Kingpin Tour

Glad you weren't hurt. I am sure Ma Vic will take this seriously.
  11. El_Dave

El_Dave New Member

2000 Victory V92SC

That is the EXACT same thing that happened to my 2000 SC!!!!! Same catastropic failure, same tire lock up! I had to transplant a 2004 TC engine into my bike. By all means keep us informed. Hope Ma Vic will tell you something. I never tried to contact Ma Vic as I know that they would "poo poo" me because of a 12 year old bike. Let us know how it shakes out. Glad youare OK.
  12. visionriderdeluxe

visionriderdeluxe New Member

Victory Vision

Merkin as already shared thank God your safe. As for the scoot, Polaris is in the spotlight on this one, yeah keep us posted.
  13. Freerider

Freerider Member

2012 Sunset Red / Black Vision
    This is very interesting. The same scenario has happened to some other brands of motorcycles after doing a search, but not very common. Makes you wonder about the loud clunk when you shift gears that we have all learned to love. What actually is the noise we hear?
  14. grounder

grounder Member

I realize Vic puts the same engine/transmission pack in all bikes but this is the second KP I know of where the tranny went out.
  15. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide
    Was there any previous hints...like say a hard miss on acceleration in second gear??
  16. Merkin

Merkin New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]To the question regarding if there were any symptoms leading up to this. No, there were not. No missed shifts, no sounds, nothing. This downshift was just like the 10000 before it except for the outcome. I was coming down from 4th to 3rd approaching a stop signduring relaxedcountryside riding.

Like every other 2006 generation Victory tranny, neutralis more of a rumor than a gear.

I do a two week trip every September and have the dealer perform a deep maintetance before the trip every year. It was all green lights. They perform all recommended service procedures according to the Victory schedule. They also clean the fuel injection system.The bike has never had anything but Victory motor oil in it.The oil gets changed every 2500 miles (the interval for that model year)The dealer (Hernley's in Elizabethtown PA) has been great throughout the process. The records for all maintenace and lubricants are with the dealer so that is not in question. I baby this bike and spare no expense on it's upkeep.
    This truely came out of the blue.

It was pretty heartbreaking to see my bike in literally hundreds of pieces on the dealers lift.

While you are engaged on this thread. Do you know if this generation transmissioncan be upgraded so that it shifts and finds nuetral like the current models do?
  17. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin

I also have a 2006 Kingpin. My transmission is not loud on shifts at all. Clunk going into 1st from neutral and you can hear the 1-2 shift, butno problem with finding neutral or loud bangs/clunks shifting gears.

It takes a great deal of force to break the dogs off a gear...