Aerodynamics

Discussion in 'Victory Magnum' started by Yossarian, May 15, 2017.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2016 Magnum X1
    Forgive me for a minute while I clear some thoughts rattling around in my empty head. I know this is a topic well covered in a variety of threads: aerodynamics, or the lack there of with these cross-bike fairings.

I'm increasingly becoming concerned about the long-term viability of my Magnum as a long-distance tourer for me. A little background: I have one herniated disc and two bulging discs in my neck. Basically, my neck is deteriorating thanks to spinal stenosis and associated bone spurs. According to the docs, my only option is a three-level fusion. I'm putting that off as long as possible and try to manage things with exercise. And beer.

The last several weekends I've done anywhere from 300 to 500 mile days and at the end I feel like I've gone 100 rounds with Jack Johnson. I'm running a windvest windshield, fork deflectors and leather closeouts on the round bars. I feel like this combination has eliminated almost all the nasty wind over the shield and coming from under the fairing. But, it still feels like I've been fighting the front end all day when I'm done. I took some nice country backroads for 150 or so yesterday and it was a pleasant ride. I needed to make time to get home so I jumped over the mountain and hit the slab for 80-90 mph running. The wind (cross) had picked up a bit and the next hour and half was pure f*cking misery.

I LOVE the handling, stance, performance, and ass and back comfort. I LOVE the storage capacity. I'm realizing I HATE the fairing. Not the look, but how it performs. This is something I've tried to block out of my mind the year I've owned it. Looking past this one huge flaw for all the tremendous advantages it offers.

I've be waiting for JTD to introduce hard lowers for the round bars hoping that might make a difference and thinking if that would allow me to eliminate the fork deflectors it would be an added bonus to take some drag off the front end. I don't know how much it affects it, but I imagine it must. No offense to anyone, but I really don't care for the look of Victory's hard lowers and don't like the forged bars though they look pretty sharp when the JTD's are added.

I put over 200k on four different Road Glides over the years. I'm no Iron Butt warrior, but I've done 800 mile days on a RG and made Ft. Lauderdale from the Intermountain West in four days. And, I never felt as used and abused as I do after 300 or 400 on my Magnum. We used to joke at the end of the day that the RG riders looked fresh for the bar and the batwingers looked like they'd been to war. I miss my fixed fairing.

In the last couple of weeks, I've done two things I thought I'd never do. Started looking at used Visions (again no offense, but I REALLY dislike - okay hate - the look. And the lack of storage is a killer for what I do.) And contemplating going back to a Road Glide. Yes, I just punched myself in the face when I typed it.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm heading out on a 1.5k ride for Memorial Day and 5k for the 4th. And I'm embarrassed to say, my neck and I are dreading it.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    If I was in your situation and you can't get the air right I'd get a Vision as they are the best for having a nice pocket of calm air around the rider.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

2014 Victory Vision
    It sucks when you have severe physical constraints to deal with. I know because I have them too. I have heard that the Cross Fairing can be problematic in this regard. Magnum fairings in particular, mostly because of the windscreen I think. For me, that was one huge benefit of going with the Vision. Without doubt the Vision was the cure. I have not owned a bike that has given me the kind of protection from the elements that the Vision provides. Between the electronically adjustable wind screen and the fixed fairing there has not been a condition that I have not been able to make better.

In your position you have to do what is going to keep you in the saddle. If that means stepping away from the Magnum, then so be it. Hopefully someone will chime in with some helpful hints, but if not then you need to do what is going to be the best for your situation. Even if that means going to another bike. No matter what it is. Good luck; I hope you can get the Magnum tuned to suit your needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Burning_Buckeye

Burning_Buckeye Active Member

2013 Midnight Metallic Cross Country
    Madstad bracket is way cheaper solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Iron Ranger

Iron Ranger Active Member

2012 Victory Vision
    Vision is the cure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mobear66

mobear66 Active Member

Victory XC FCP
    I second that.

7. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
  8. Darth_v8r

Darth_v8r Well-Known Member

2016 XC8BALL
    Yep Yep

9. Darth_v8r

2016 XC8BALL
  10. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    What do you mean?

11. Darth_v8r

2016 XC8BALL
    @jjpilot makes them.

12. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    jjpilot makes the metal ones. Diamond Jim makes the HDPE ones for Bad Ace Billet. That is the one I posted the link to. It is the one I have on my Magnum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
  14. Darth_v8r

2016 XC8BALL
    I stand 50% corrected. Thanks for the education.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Poseidon

Top Poster Of Month

2016 Magnum
    If I remember correctly, they were working on their designs around the same time.