Advice on best fuel controller for a Vision

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by supascape, Jul 5, 2013.

1. supascape

supascape New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2005 Suzuki C90 Boulevard
    Hello everyone. I am looking for the best fuel controller option for my 2008 Victory Vision. I think that I have narrowed my choices down to the Lloydz gen 3 Victory fuel controller and the DynaJet Power Commander 5. I currently have the Witchdoctor Vision baffled Muscle Muffler installed and I would like to purchase the controller that works well with those particular pipes. My bike rides really well now but I get the occasional pop during deceleration here and there and I would like to get rid ofit as much as possible. My gut says spend the extra money, get the Power Commander with a dyno. However, I am hearing some pretty good things about the less expensive Lloydz. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
  2. Splinter

Splinter Member

2012 Crossroads

Ive had bad luck with Dynojet stuff in the past. I have the VFC3 on my XR and I like it. very easy to install and program. It will do all you need to unless youre planning on major upgrades to the engine.
  3. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

None :(

VFC works fine even with cams. (That's what KevinX installs at his cam parties.) The only times when you need the PC-V is a big bore kit, or adding gas or induction (turbo/supercharger). The VFC is 1/2 the cost of the Power Commander and is just as easy to program (unless you get the Auto Tune with the PC-V, which costs even more). Some people swear by the PC-V but I don't know why. Personally, I think a dyno tune is unnecessary. When Kevin does cam parties, he doesn't dyno the bikes. In case you don't know, there are 3 major players in the high performace/tuning world of Victory. There's Lloyd Greer (aka the Victory Godfather), Rylan Vos (The Vic Shop) and Kevin Cross (aka KevinX). The latter 2 will do "cam parties" where, assuming you have a total of 4 bikes, he will come to you and install cams, top air filter, VFC and timing wheel, all for around $1450 (including labor).
  4. conklij

conklij Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads

Don't forget Kyle Crandall of KMC Powersports in RI. Kyle is a Lloydz certified mechanic and is the guy you will find at all of the bike rallys with his dyno trailer installing Lloydz performance parts. He knows his stuff and is a class act to boot.
  5. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

None :(

I only sort of forgot Kyle. He's not as much of a big name as the other 3 (lack of advertising?) so I accidentally omitted his name. He needs to get out there more. :)
  6. keithgrey

keithgrey Well-Known Member

2010 ABS Vision
    Had both, and prefer the PCV. It gives you the ability to add an auto tune module. And I am just not as good with the VFC-III AS I was with jetting carbs. If you are getting a dyno tune, perhaps letting the tuner select will be best. Unless, there is any possibility of future improvements or the attune module in which case do the PCV. Keep in mind that Lloyd has a much better history with replacing bad parts and fixing issues, and Power Commander sells enough units that they will have more bad press ( based on volume of sales) and a more corporate approach to replacement or repair than Lloyd does. Good luck. Kg
  7. conklij

conklij Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads

Lloydz certified mechanics:
  8. conn-e-rot

conn-e-rot Active Member

2009 Vision Tour Premium

I would check with your local tuner and see if he will tune it with the vfc3 I had asked the guy that had tuned my zx14 and he only does power commanders.
  9. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    If you like the way it's running be careful not to fix what isn't broke. Lloyd's IAV valve for 77.00 is easy to DIY and reduces popping on decel. But if you're determined to go fuel controller the I would get the VFC-III and with the money saved vs PC-V get the upper intake to go with the VFC. Now you can tune out the popping and tune in some more giddy up.
  10. TX2wheel

TX2wheel New Member

Looking,,,

Makes no matter, but it looks like Dobeck'does notsell' it's stage 3 and 3.5 units,,, they are sold by Electronic Jet Kit / EJK. Appears Lloyds has an agreement with EJK (or Dobeck) to cover the Victory line. so 'VFC' was born...

Not familiar with the current generation of Dobeck/EJK/VFC.

PCV has precision tuning down to a science, but all the science in the world is worth nothing in the hands of an unqualified tuner.PCV can alsotune up to 4 cylinders individually. Nice, if you live and die by .001 seconds,,,

I went PC III / full Dyno tune on each cylinder with the old VTX. Done by the VTX (and many other bike) Guru Johnny Cheese. Excellent!

Next bike gotthe O2 version of the Cobra tri-pot, as I didn't need tuning down to a knats a$$, and I could quickly and easily gone back to all OEM for long hauls/mpg. (Bike was 'near-stock')

So, what does the 'average' rider need for a tuner?Whatever the rider and/oror his tuner/technical advisor(if he has one) are comfortable with.
  11. Gossamer

Gossamer Active Member

Victory Cross Country Tour

Currently running the VFC 3 with my bike. Cams, intake, timing wheel, recored pipes.
    Have my auto tune sitting in a drawer while I wait for the PCV to show up.
    The VFC is fine for raw tuning. It'll do the job, you'll run good, make decent horse power.
    The PCV is more precision tuning, it recognizes front and rear, throttle and rpms.
    The PCV won't necessarily get you more power, what will it do is fine tune your bike to make sure the power delivery is a smooth as possible.
    I've got some burps in mine that I can't seem to get out of with the VFC so I'm trying the PCV and auto tune route.
  12. vision_nut

vision_nut Active Member

vision

You say it runs good and now and then a pop. Un hook your 02 sensores and I'll bet it goes away and you can save the money on a tuner
  13. Steelvic

Steelvic Member

'02 TC '10 Vision 8 Ball

All I can tell you is that I visited Lloyd at his shop a few weeks ago for some work and here's how it went down. Told him I wanted his top filter, adjustable timing gear, Idle air valve and either a VFC3 or Power Commander 5 to go along with a set of Ness Big Honkers and a dyno tune on my Vision 8 Ball. The only other option was possibly doing cams next year. Then I let him decide whether to go VFC3 or PC5. He suggested going with the PC5 - so that's what I did and I'm very happy with the results.

Jim
  14. mrpresident

mrpresident New Member

11 Vision, Crimson Red

Sounds good! I am having cams and pistons along with PC5 with auto tune done now by The Custom Shop here in MD. How do you like the big honkers? I have D&D 's that sound good but I want something louder.
  15. Steelvic

Steelvic Member

'02 TC '10 Vision 8 Ball

I'll tell youi that the Big Honkers are not as loud as the D+D's on my TC, but I really like the sound of them when I get on her.
  16. JayFL726

JayFL726 Active Member

2012 Cross Country

Wish you well either way you go ..
  17. Gambit

Gambit Member

2009 Black Victory Vision Street

Not many qualified Victory Dyno mechanics in my area. The ones I can find wanted $300 or more to do the work. Since I wouldn't know if they did a good job until after I ride the bike I went with a PCV with Autotune. To quote a trusted mechanic "If you change the pipes you will never get rid of all the popping". My bike went from 38.7 MPG to 43.2 MPG after adding the PCV-AT with a smoother acceleration. I have the front and top air filter with custom dealer pipes similar to Witch doctor's pipes. Prior to PCV I had a stage 1 download with O2 sensors disconnected. Lots of popping. Now I rarely hear a pop. I accepted the AT trims for the first 1000 miles. Now I just ride and let it monitor the bike. When I add cams I will not need a dyno. I will select a map that is close to my set up and let the AT do the rest. Keep in mind dynos are only good for your current upgrade. Any future upgrades will require a new dyno. More $$$$.
  18. Gambit

Gambit Member

2009 Black Victory Vision Street

Have you heard The Custom Shop's (Actually it is Kustom Shoppe) pipes? It seems like everyone in Southern MD has his pipes including me. He has a set on his Vision.
  19. Pampurrs

Pampurrs Member

2013 Vision Tour

I have a question (actually lots of them) regarding this fuel controller topic. I ordered a PCV, which I don't have yet, and now after reading all these articles and posts I'm wondering if I even need it. I have Big Honkers and have disabled the O2 sensors. I was under the impression that I would need to install a fuel controller, which is why I purchased the PCV.

Now I am reading that after installing it, I will need a Dyno Tune??? Does that mean the bike won't run properly after installing the PCV if I don't immediately get a (very expensive) dyno tune? If I add the auto tuner, does that negate the need for the dyno tune?

I'm getting more confused every minute. I just want my bike to run like a Swiss watch.

Help!!

Pam
  20. steve76t

steve76t Member

'13 Victory Vision - Sunset Red

Pampurrs, yes you'll need to have the PCV Dyno Tuned. You may be able to download a preset tune for the PCV that'll get you close to what your bike needs, but having it Dyno tuned will allow it to be fined tuned. Provided your tuner is good.
    Personally I like Lloydz VFC-III. Its fairly easy to install and easy to adjust. It works great for my bike and I've been able to make the needed adjustments to get it running great.