Accessories????

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by foursevens, Dec 11, 2012.

1. foursevens

foursevens New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Just sold it
    I'm kicking around getting a CrossCountry but I'm REALLY turned off at Victory's prices for accessories. Just a passenger backrest & luggage rack $1K??? Saddlebag liners $150. Surely there is an alturnitive? Thanks Doug
  2. bikerbob

bikerbob New Member

2012 Cross Country Tour

Have you ever checked the prices on Harley accessories? Fortunately there are some alternatives and there are great ideas from this site that will help you out.
    Victory wants $1000 for their stage 1 kit and you can do better than that for around $700. Do some digging on here and that'll help you out, but you're still going to pay for the accessories it's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck with your bike you won't be dissappointed with the Victory brand.
  3. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

'12 Vision

Witchdoctor, HMD, CycleOps, etc. All sorts of aftermarket support for Vics.
  4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision
    We've got some really nice aftermarket manufacturing...but good quality accessories aren't cheap. This isn't like a product a factory in China can stamp out a million copies of in a month to line the shelves of Walmart with. When you start talking small volume manufacturing, as in hundreds of units a year, plan on at least doubling what you think it should cost. Probably even more than that. I sell and service floor sanding equipment. When I first started I was shocked at what specialty screws and little plastic wheels cost.
  5. vision_nut

vision_nut Active Member

vision

The reason for high prices is cause there are not that many bikes out there.

As Vic gets more popular and the guys in the aftermarket world realize Vic is here to stay you'll find price will not go down cause we as customers are will to pay.

Till parts go over seas to get made you'll pay.
  6. Chaz1369

Chaz1369 New Member

2013 Victory Judge

I'm willing to pay screw overseas.
  7. cjh

cjh Member

2012 cross roads

My genuine Victory backrest WAS made overseas. There was a made in China sticker right on the box it came in. I was not happy with that. For what it cost, I figured for sure it was made here. The quality is up there though.
  8. keithgrey

keithgrey Well-Known Member

2010 ABS Vision
    After years of HD, I had the same sticker shock as you, and except for a few grouchy old farts that talk down to folks for no reason, the Vog membership hooked me up with their hard earned experience. So, if you are willing to spend some of the savings Victory provided you on some cool stuff their are a few really good fabricators out there hooking us up. BTW, I bet you could get new pipes, a Fuel Controller and new inlet filters for just about any Vic for less than the $1k you were offered for a Stage 1 upgrade. These would give you great sound and noticeable power increases over the stage 1. http://www.lloydz.com/store/ http://www.hmd520.com/category/XC-Parts-32 http://buywitchdoctors.com http://www.conquestcustoms.com http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=609d8c302a1ea76395a253d94124f3b8 http://cycleopsusa.com/store/specials.html Good luck KeithGrey
  9. Dazz

Dazz New Member

2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

I am also about to buy a new Vic XCT.
    I'm getting @1K for accessories so after that I will be checking out these sites.
    Thanks for the info.
  10. DakotaRider

DakotaRider New Member

2012 XCT -- Pearl White

Yep, Vic accessories cost an arm and a leg. But so do Honda Goldwing items. Both from Mother Honda and after market. Everything is soooooo expensive. Now I'm just wondering how folks are going to afford anything in the future now that all our taxes are going to hit the roof.
  11. Bobbyd85

Bobbyd85 Active Member

2012 Black Cross Country

Yes I’m reviving it.... My co-worker just bought a brand new Yamaha and he bought a passenger back seat, backrest, armrests and foot pegs and paid right at $400 and yet I buy a passenger backrest for $450 for my XC? Over $1700 for the trunk? I’m going to start contacting those Japanese manufacturers and have them start making parts for our bikes. American is overpriced. I already have foreign grips, mirrors and license plate frame and I love all 3.
    P.S. It doesn't help that the companies making aftermarket products are charging an arm and a leg for everything too. Yes they make good products, but some of the stuff is outlandishly priced.
  12. JerryWawak

JerryWawak New Member

2013 Victory Judge

I checked online and Don Wood Victory was offering a 21% off promotion on Victory Accessories. My local dealer matched it.
  13. keithgrey

keithgrey Well-Known Member

2010 ABS Vision

Although I was initially caught of guard by Victory's prices for accessories, I learned to watch for discounts and buy from the small providers when I can.

When I consider that an HD that would meet my requirements the way this bike does would cost me many $Thousands more AND still more in maintenance, I feel like I got a good deal. Plus, the parts I have bought from the small Victory providers have been excellent.

BTW, since they dont make a touring bike in America, Yamaha can't even qualify to meet my needs for a bike, let alone accessories.

Happy with my Vision and the extra $$$ I have put into it.

YMMV
    Keith
  14. Bobbyd85

Bobbyd85 Active Member

2012 Black Cross Country

Keith you have some good points. let me explain what my situation was and why I went with Victory. I was looking at the XC, Harley road glide and BMW K1600GTL. All three did what i wanted. comfortable 2 up riding. so i started looking into performance, cost of ownership, reviews, maintenance and ultimately the XC won for me and it was something that not many people had.

let us not forget that Victory is not Harley. Victory doesnt have the 100+ years of heritage and it doesnt have the huge following of chrome whores that will pay any price for the Harley name on it. so by your justification you paid less for your Vic and pay less for maintenance so its ok that we get raped on accessories? we Victory owners should expect and demand more.

my opinion
  15. dsjr70

dsjr70 Active Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads

I thought the passenger backrest was expensive. Then I really looked at it and held it in my hands. Compared to the backrest on my Japanese bikes this thing was like an engineering marvel. You are going to pay a lot more for accessories for a low unit manufacturer then you are for a mass manufacturer that has been basically putting out the same models for 15 years and a lot of the parts interchange. Now as far as the luggage rack is concerned it is a joke that they want that much. I could have a custom one made for the same price if not less and be a better quality.

The other way to think of it is, for your bike to stand out in the HD crowd you need to put about $10,000.00 in farkle on it, a Victory requires nothing, it stands out straight from the factory....
  16. Bobbyd85

Bobbyd85 Active Member

2012 Black Cross Country

thats a debatable statement depending on the crowd. lol stand out in a good way or bad? some people straight up hate our bikes and others love them and then theres HD guys who secretly love them but would never get caught saying it out loud. for shame to be whipped by your wife AND your bike lmao!
  17. RoBrown

RoBrown Active Member

07 Victory Kingpin

There is nothing in the Victory ads that mention cheap, so I would not expect it in the shiny bits for the bike. It would be great if it were all made here, but Polaris is a global company, so they know things are less expensive from China. The markups are probably pretty healthy, but quantity drives price.
    As others have pointed out, volume is a major driver in cost, and cost is what decides selling price. The X-bikes are quite popular, so I would expect to see aftermarket choices grow and prices come down a bit.
  18. Bobbyd85

Bobbyd85 Active Member

2012 Black Cross Country

That sounds very similiar to what people were saying right before the new "Polaris" Indian motorcycles came out with their $40k price tag. guess you can wish in one hand and **** in the other see which one fills up faster?
  19. dsjr70

dsjr70 Active Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads
    That was not a Polaris Indian. It really was just an old Indian with a Polaris badge and a limited production to give the 15 Indian dealers something to sell until Polaris could revamp the line.