VOG Forum banner

A Couple of Weeks with Metzlers

8K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  Bikesofbrads 
#1 ·
I've had the Metzlers for a few weeks now and gotten about two hundred miles of both highway and city riding. So far, I really haven't noticed any difference between them and the OE Dunlops. Ride is smooth, grip seems to be about the same and I put quite a bit of lean into the bike around turns. All in all, they seem to be a pretty good purchase. Guess I'll know once I get ten thousand miles on them and see where I'm at.

#2 ·
I put quite a bit of lean into the bike around turns.
I have not had an opportunity to ride my bike yet as we're still waiting for spring to arrive here in Northern Ontario and my new bike has been sitting in my garage waiting patiently for me to let her rip for two months now!

I too like to really lean into corners having done so with my Honda. Should I have any concerns with excessive lean with my Hammer? I have stock exhaust and was actually wondering if to much lean will scrape the factory exhaust?

Cobra:(

#6 ·
It's very unlikely you will get more than 5000 miles on any rear tire you put on your hammer .....

The combination of being such a wide , low profile tire ..... and the softer rubber compound utilized .....

You need to be very cognizant of keeping the tire pressure at OEM specs....and this will help with tire life....

For me ..... once the big fat tire flattens in the middle ....it might as well be flat ....Cus it's not fun to ride......

I am happy with 4K of good wear from the Metz.

Peter

#12 ·
if you want REALLY sporty tyres pirelli night dragons for sure!! stock front 240 out back, they are a bit lighter as well, a good thing with the boat anchor OE rear wheel weight. if it was not so costly i would run a 17" X 6.25 out back + a 200-55-17 tyre giving the same OD with better handling + less weight!!

#13 ·
The Hammer does not come from the factory as a corner carver by any means.... it will take some experience , and adjustments on your part....and possibly some aftermarket tweaks on the bike part.....

Ride it some ......then report back ..... Have fun .

Peter
This is so true as it wants to stand back up pretty good. Maybe not as much as my Big Dog did with the 280 on it but I've dragged pegs on both sides of the Hammer and talk about making me nervous. Wow.
However I'm curious as too any tweaks you might know of anything to help with this. I have the 4 inch forward controls on it now and have been actually thinking of going to the 5 inch ones.

Reactions: sfoens
#16 ·
This is so true as it wants to stand back up pretty good. Maybe not as much as my Big Dog did with the 280 on it but I've dragged pegs on both sides of the Hammer and talk about making me nervous. Wow.
However I'm curious as too any tweaks you might know of anything to help with this. I have the 4 inch forward controls on it now and have been actually thinking of going to the 5 inch ones.
How tall are you having 4" forward pegs? I've been thinking of going 2" on my hammer. I'm 5'9"

#14 · (Edited)
like i said before Pirelli Night Dragons!!! they stick + make the bike want to lean!! big tyres are for wow but sporty shaped night dragons tyres will make a totally different animal for sure. you don't see real sport bikes with oversized tyres + they have almost twice the horsepower!! i removed + sold my like new dunrocks early to truely enjoy the hammer. for a bike of its size it feels lighter + handles better than the 06 top heavy porkster i owned, i threw about 4G's at it + the hammer kills it stock, live + learn!!

#21 ·
the 240 pirelli night dragon is also SEVERAL pounds lighter!!! very important unsprung + rotating weight that increases performance, braking + overall handling. several have used the avon's, a compromise it seems, a bit longer lasting + a bit less sticky + a couple of pounds heavier!! lots of choices for YOU!!

#22 ·
I am running a 240 pirelli and it measures exactly 240mm edge to edge on a 8.5" wheel. I wanted to go 250 or 260, but have very little clearance left.

Today i saw a metz 260 on a Vrod, and it measured 248mm. Took the measurement about 4 times and its still 248mm.

From a distance, the 8mm extra sure looked alot fatter. Hope its no physcological

#23 ·
I am running a 240 pirelli and it measures exactly 240mm edge to edge on a 8.5" wheel. I wanted to go 250 or 260, but have very little clearance left.

Today i saw a metz 260 on a Vrod, and it measured 248mm. Took the measurement about 4 times and its still 248mm.

From a distance, the 8mm extra sure looked alot fatter. Hope its no physcological
You have to tell me were you buy your tires in spore ... My rim is Hammer so i could go wider ...
Are there Pirellie avaleble in Hammer rim sizes in spore ?

#28 ·
Well, I just learned something by reading this thread. I've had my Hammer for just over a year and put about 4,500 miles on it in that time. The bike had 700 on it when I got it, so that means the 250 back tire has more than 5,200 miles on it. I just noticed for the first time the other day that the tire IS looking kinda flat across the middle. So the point is I guess I'm due, or close to it, for a tire change. But I will say that I haven't noticed any difference in handling, and I love leaning in the curves, too. I had no idea how long these tires last. I was honestly thinking they were good for many, many more miles...but I guess not.

#31 ·
Not on a cross country, they have hammers

#34 ·
Thanks,
The XC is good..I just picked up a Hammer that needs new shoes and was checking around for different tire sizes.
Depending upon manufacturer you could get a 240, 250 or 260. The contact patch of a 240 could be greater than a 260 because a 260 on the same wheel will have a more rounded shape.

However tire construction and measurements from brand to brand seam to vary quite a bit.

So in theory a 260 having a rounder shape should turn-in a little easier than a 240.

Fortunately/unfortunately they don't last that long so you can try a different one in just 6-10,000 miles.

#47 · (Edited)
The Metzeler CruiseTec and ME888 that are manufactured for the Hammer are radials, not a bias ply. An "R" in the tire size typically indicates a radial tire.....DO NOT run Bias-Ply tires on these bikes in either position.....the wheels, suspension are set up for radials. Additionally, the Metzeler CruiseTec is a dual compund tire, unlike the Pirelli Night Dragon. Finally, both companies are owned by Pirelli, but Metzeler focuses on motorcycle tire technology and design. Its likely the innovations made by Metzeler find their way into Pirelli motorcycle tires.

#48 ·
Thanks. I doubled check and they are radials. My bad. I still have the dunlop on the front and just ordered the rear metzler. I just can't believe how much better it handles.
On my vision I have the e4 on the back and I ordered the dunlop sport tire that goes on the goldwing by accident. It turns so much better.
The curvature of a tire really gives a bike a totally different nature.

#49 ·
The Metzeler CruiseTec 260 is simply awesome on this Hammer. The profile is perfect, and dramatically changes the handling characteristics of these bikes. Simply amazing. Dual compound helps as well with tire wear, but (2) things: as someone previously stated, nothing is more important than ALWAYS setting your cold tire pressure before going out....religiously. It WILL net you more mileage and better handling. Second thing is these torque-monsters will destroy a tire no matter who the manufacturer or what the compound is. That said, this makes tire pressure SOOOOO MUCH more important. If its low, these bikes will cup the **** out of them very quickly when ridden semi-aggressively. These bikes are heavy and have very good braking systems, which will expose any tire pressure issues. I run between 38-40lbs in the rear, and 36-38 in the front, FWIW. Check/set it in the garage out of the sun before every ride, every day.

#50 ·
Good to know. I set both bikes at 40 especially after they wear down. I find that the tire flexes more due to less rubber to keep the form of the tire when cornering. I also found the rear brake locked up pretty easy with the dunlop. Like I was riding with a hockey puck. My stopping distance has really improved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.