92 octane?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Rocketdog, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2004 Victory Vegas Arlen Ness Edition
    Noticed the other day that my '04 Vegas has a sticker on the frame stating 92 or higher octane required. Well, here in Oklahoma, 91 is the best there is although the bike runs fine on 87 octane with no ping or dentonation. Non ethonal gas is what I run as it is widely available here in Oklahoma. Anyone else run 87 without any issues?
  2. jenkins

jenkins Member

2012 Victory CCT
    Tried 87 for a couple tank fills. Certainly ran without any problems. However, I found that it just ran smoother, especially at low rpm. Will use 92 from now on, but know I can use the 87 when hi test is not available without having to add octane boost. Completely stock motor, here. To answer your query on 91, you will notice when traveling through the Rockies that octane levels drop a notch at the pump with the higher elevations. Without getting into the science, just use the high test stuff without worry. Ride safe, Jim
  3. McKoi1

McKoi1 Member

2012 XCT black

What I have available is 87, 89, and 93 octanes. I have been using the 89 from the start and have had no problems over 7,000+ miles A friend with a 2010 cross country started with the 87 but switched to 89 said the throttle response was better with the 89.
  4. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

None :(

Use the lowest octane you can find without pinging. The hotter the day is or the higher the elevation, the higher the octane normally needs to be. I can run the "cheap stuff" without any issues up to about 85*. Above that, I have to run the mid grade or I get a little bit of ping. The lower octane gas will run more efficiently with less carbon build up (and you save money at the pump). My Blazer has the same "91 octane or higher recommended" sticker and I've never run anything but the cheap stuff in it. 20k miles later and it's still running well with no pinging along the way. Very high performance motors might truely need the higher octane. As powerful as our bikes are, they AREN'T "high performance" motors.
  5. Swedeflyer

Swedeflyer New Member

2011 XC

Only have about 36k miles on my 2011 XC now and have used about 90+ % 87 Octane (really try to avoid alcohol).

Absolutely NO issues or pinging...!!!! Always choose 87 Oct when given a choice...... and if you understand octane, you will realize thatthere is no "combustion" reason to use the recommended 91 octane. It was probably an EPA issue with certification that it was written in the manual, etc.

You will alwaysget better power and mileage when using non-alcohol fuel at87 octane versus91 octane, especially at higher altitudes.
  6. Netnorske

Netnorske New Member

2013 Cross Country Tour

I have a 2013 XCT and I run 87 (regular) in it all the time with absolutely no issues. Coming home from a long trip recently, while heading northwest on I-82 between Yakima and Ellensburg, WA.,you have to climb two long, steep (7%) grades back to back. My old Vulcan Nomad hated climbing those grades regardless of fuel, but on the new XCT, I blazed up both hills at 76 mph in 6th gear with the cruise-control set....while riding two-up with at least 50 lbs. of gear loaded in the saddlebags, trunk and trunk bag. I had power to spare with not one singleping or any other sort of issue...all on 87 octane fuel.If you are going to spend your money on the "good stuff"....make it a good Anejo or something else worthwhile....[​IMG]!
  7. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide

Published octane ratings are so the dumbest person in the worst conditions; does no damage
  8. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Member

2013 Victory XCT

I've ran 87-88 octane in my new XCT for about 7K miles now with no ping even in 100+ degree weather. My O2 sensors are disconnected however and not sure if this is allowing the lower test gas to be used.
  9. Netnorske

Netnorske New Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    My O2 sensors are sti connected and I recently rode through temps near 108 degrees with no ill effects other than those related to my own well being!
  10. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Active Member

None :(

You have your O2 sensors disconnected?!?! What will the PRC say?? I'll bet you end up in jail. :D