TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Cross Country Tour issues

I got my first Victory in September, coming from the metric cruiser community, a '12 Cross Country Tour (hit a deer with my '08 Nomad). Love the bike. Having a couple issues, wanted to know if they were particular to this bike or the model.
First (believe it or not), I have to ride three miles on gravel to get to hard road. My drive belt absolutely howls when it gets gravel dust on it. I'm half crazy by the time I get to the car wash. The howl is so loud, people actually turn and look because of the odd sound. Is this normal? The other issue is the weather seal on the bags, it doesn't seal well. The bags get an incredible amount of gravel dust in them. They seem weatherproof for the most part, although occasionally I will get some water ingress from the car wash in one of them. The dust ingress is amazing, like you blew up a small bottle of talc in the bag. Trunk is bomb proof. Anybody else having any problems??
Quote:
Originally posted by: Tango

I got my first Victory in September, coming from the metric cruiser community, a '12 Cross Country Tour (hit a deer with my '08 Nomad). Love the bike. Having a couple issues, wanted to know if they were particular to this bike or the model.
First (believe it or not), I have to ride three miles on gravel to get to hard road. My drive belt absolutely howls when it gets gravel dust on it. I'm half crazy by the time I get to the car wash. The howl is so loud, people actually turn and look because of the odd sound. Is this normal? The other issue is the weather seal on the bags, it doesn't seal well. The bags get an incredible amount of gravel dust in them. They seem weatherproof for the most part, although occasionally I will get some water ingress from the car wash in one of them. The dust ingress is amazing, like you blew up a small bottle of talc in the bag. Trunk is bomb proof. Anybody else having any problems??

I can't comment on the howling; I haven't taken my XC off road for more than a few dozen feet (driveways, shoulders). But we just returned from a 1300 mile trip through fog, rain, and a heavy dust storm (on I-10) and my saddle bags innards were dry and clean.
'12 Nissan Leaf - Cayenne Red <br /> <br />'10 Victory Cross Country - Black, trunk, Cee Bailey Cee Dragon, iPod, now with hard lowers, heated seats, heated grips, PS5250 speakers, Victory black cheese wedge covers, Raptor short antenna, HIDs from VictoryHID.com, Widder heat system, Nolan N-Com bluetooth (rider, passenger) <br /> <br />Zoey Rides! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ8GR4XsOIY <br /> <br />'01 Honda Magna, black, too much to list <br /> <br />'04 645Ci - Saphirschwarz Pearl, auto, 19" chrome, Logic 7, 7k white Angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, Bluetooth retro, tint, James Bond hidden plate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZR-m7SNrrU
Jag, Thanks for the info. I am going to take her in for warranty maintenance on these items, but wanted to check my expectations beforehand. I've been putting it off trying to milk all the riding I can before things get crappy, but it needs to get done. Mama's getting ticked about her saddlebag being full of dust.
I think the poor fit and finish on the one saddlebag should fall under warranty as it is not protecting the contents inside the bag. As for the squeal, that is a new one to me. You surely cannot be the only one on here that rides on gravel roads on a regular basis. I have been on gravel several times and never experienced what you are describing. I'm guessing something is out of spec....but the question is gonna be: Can they find it?

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted as you get more information.
State map2012 by phoenix9 VisitedMexicanStatesMap by phoenix9

QUALITY over speed. Doing a crappy job fast is worthless, so take pride in your work as so few do these days. If you want to lose respect, then act like your work doesn't matter.
Phoenix9, Thanks for the info, I will keep all posted on my luck with these issues.
I live on a dirt road about a mile long
Drive belt perfectly quiet.....also perfectly adjusted
No dust inside my 2010 Vision
Make sure your seals are seated well and if your lids rattle a lot make sure they are adjusted. Next to the latches there should be a thick chunk of rubberized foam with doublestick tape on it; pull this a little to put pressure on the latch and eliminate lid rattle - push it in to make the lids close easier and push on the seals more. Play around with them a little and it should keep the dust out. Also search for "dust" and you'll find hints on how to decrease the dust coming from under your seat.
Retired USAF, IYAAYAS!
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom
2011 Victory Cross Roads
I have a 2010 Cross Country, Ive been down several stretches of gravel roads, anywhere from a couple hundred feet up to 5 miles or so. Never had dust in the bags or had the belt squeal. I am guessing you just have a case of things being out of adjustment.
Lead, Follow, or get the F**K out of the way !!!
Quote:
Originally posted by: ammo_umb

Also search for "dust" and you'll find hints on how to decrease the dust coming from under your seat.

Tried searching "dust" and other combination and keep getting "I dusted a Harley"... anyone remember where it is?
Mike
2012 Black XC Tour, HELI bars,
1.5" lowering kit (not the crap kind), Closeup Seat, Heli bars, Reverse, ATS, IAV, PC5, RPWs, m.o.u.s.e...
Sorry, "dust" should have brought up the link below. Please note that you'll have to be a little creative, there aren't pictures but when you pull your seat off you should be able to see what's being talked about amd how their fixes could work.

http://www.thevog.net/forum/cross-country-44/cc-ho...
Retired USAF, IYAAYAS!
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom
2011 Victory Cross Roads