TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Engine Isn't Running Right

I have a 2003 Classic Cruiser. The bike ran great until I changed spark plugs and change the oil. Now it almost seems as though it misses and you here a popping noise. Like a back fire but not from the exhaust. When I start it up and let it warm up, and then give it some throttle abruptly it again gives a popping noise and dies. The bike seems to run great down the rode except for it backfiring. I have check the plugs and wires. Those seem tight. Also, I just recently had a Stage 1 Kit installed by a dealer. Wouldn't you think that when they reflashed the ECM something would have shown up?? Any ideas. Thanks..
"The bike ran great until I changed spark plugs and the oil"

What does this information tell us? It is most likely that something you did caused the issue. You say the plug wires "seem tight" but is it possible you damaged one or both pulling on them?
2006 Victory Kingpin
110 Cubic Inches -- S&S stroker crank/Lloydz big bore, ductile iron liners, 11:1 Wiseco pistons, massaged heads,
VM1-HP cams, S&S springs/retainers, RPW Thor pipe, Torque Tubes, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring,
31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt. Dyno: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/half_crazy...
I'd first pull the plugs and look at them. Even try the old plugs back in again. Maybe a plug was dropped on the floor and someone just put it back on the shelf.
"Get on your bikes and ride."

"Some days when you get up you just got to ask yourself; Do I feel like being great today?" Street Bike Tommy Nitro Circus
Did you set the appropriate gap tolerance on the plugs?
State map2012 by phoenix9 VisitedMexicanStatesMap by phoenix9

QUALITY over speed. Doing a crappy job fast is worthless, so take pride in your work as so few do these days. If you want to lose respect, then act like your work doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally posted by: phoenix9

Did you set the appropriate gap tolerance on the plugs?

I thought for sure the plugs were preset from the factory. Am I wrong. I am going to replace the plugs. You never know whom handled them. I will also look in on the plug wires. The bike only has 6000 miles on it. I bought it a month ago with 4500.
Quote:
Originally posted by: Spimmmbler

I thought for sure the plugs were preset from the factory. Am I wrong. I am going to replace the plugs. You never know whom handled them. I will also look in on the plug wires. The bike only has 6000 miles on it. I bought it a month ago with 4500.

Plug gaps are a close set at the factory, but due to plugs fitting different products may have different gaps and shipping can result them in being dropped, thrown around, bumped, ect. The gap should always be checked before installation to ensure it is correct.
I don't ride enough. Only 167,000km since April 7, 2010 on my '10 XR

VisitedProvincesMap by bored76 VisitedStatesMap11 by bored76
check gap, but if not, are you sure the plug temp is the same (exact same model and length of insulator + electrode?)
2011 Victory Kingpin 8-Ball
Tach / Dual front discs with Vesrah JL pads / Penske shock / S&S Intake / PCV & autotune / RPW Thor exhaust with homemade custom baffle / Tsukayu leather "Strong" bags / Avon Cobra *Radials* / Ness Vegas Peg Conversion / Ness Vegas driver's seat
Bet you have a bad plug wire or both wires
Quote:
Originally posted by: Half_Crazy

"The bike ran great until I changed spark plugs and the oil"

What does this information tell us? It is most likely that something you did caused the issue. You say the plug wires "seem tight" but is it possible you damaged one or both pulling on them?

That's my bet as well.
2010 XC
D&D pipes
Lloydz VM1-DR cams
Lloydz filter
Lloydz timing gear
Lloydz modded ECM
Found out that the spark plugs the dealer gave me were Cpr6pe-9 plugs.. The owners manual calls for the cr7eb. I did some research online. I got some mixed information. I decided to put the cr7eb plugs back in... The bike now runs flawlessly.. Hmmmm...