TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Soft Lower Fairings

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jagular

I rode with them all winter and loved them. They fully eliminate buffeting with lowers and a better shield. In fact, I hated removing them when it turned warm. The heat around my legs became too much during those rides when the temps were in the upper 60s, 70s. I didn't notice any reduction in gas mileage. For $90, it's one of the least expensive, best upgrades you can buy.

I did notice the heat on my legs...especially when we hit rush hour traffic in Nashville and slowed down to a screeching halt. Temp on the bike showed it was about 88º out.

One thing I just remembered, was when we were riding down on Monday, it was in the low 40s, I was in full leathers, thick gloves and a half helmet. My hands got cold, my fully exposed face did not.

2011 Victory Cross Country - (Lock & Ride Trunk kit, passenger armrests, passenger hand holds, trunk rack, saddle bag rails, saddle bag guards, iPod adapter/extension, Lock & Ride passenger backrest, driver backrest, low rider (heated) seat, soft lowers, and highway pegs)
www.armyhog.com | American Legion Riders | Patriot Guard Riders

I like the idea of the lowers but don't those big wind block kill you mileage??
Quote:
Originally posted by: BigDaddy

I like the idea of the lowers but don't those big wind block kill you mileage??

I don't think they do. I'm not sure what kind of mileage you are getting on your XC, but I was getting about 45-47 MPG on the freeway (75-80 MPH) on my trip to and from Augusta GA. For this trip I had myself (150 lbs), my son (90 lbs), trunk attached and filled with a weeks worth of stuff for both of us. I have the soft lowers.

This mileage was not based solely on the display (which seemed very accurate and I reset it several times to make sure old data was cleared out), but on the fact that if I got gas after 180 miles I was putting in just at 4 gallons of gas.

2011 Victory Cross Country - (Lock & Ride Trunk kit, passenger armrests, passenger hand holds, trunk rack, saddle bag rails, saddle bag guards, iPod adapter/extension, Lock & Ride passenger backrest, driver backrest, low rider (heated) seat, soft lowers, and highway pegs)

Nacho,
I ride a XR and don't have that fancy instant fuel economy guage. I do they math after filling up and I was in mid to high 30's on the mpg. Now keep in mind that's 45 mph city driving into the wind most of time. You were here so you know that you can ride into the wind on the way to work and when you head out for lunch the wind changes so you ride into it again.

Wind is a prerequisite when the AF decides where to build bases. They got it right on Hill! Worse part is being between 2 mountain ranges; you never know what the weather is going to be like. Example: it snowed last Thursday in Morgan. All last week and most of this week Morgan and upper Utah have been fighting flooding from snowpack melt off.
Retired USAF, IYAAYAS!
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom
2011 Victory Cross Roads
Quote:
Originally posted by: ammo_umb

Nacho,
I ride a XR and don't have that fancy instant fuel economy guage. I do they math after filling up and I was in mid to high 30's on the mpg. Now keep in mind that's 45 mph city driving into the wind most of time. You were here so you know that you can ride into the wind on the way to work and when you head out for lunch the wind changes so you ride into it again.

Wind is a prerequisite when the AF decides where to build bases. They got it right on Hill! Worse part is being between 2 mountain ranges; you never know what the weather is going to be like. Example: it snowed last Thursday in Morgan. All last week and most of this week Morgan and upper Utah have been fighting flooding from snowpack melt off.

To be honest, I normally rely on the display, and typically the average MPGs. The instant MPGs varies too much to try to get any sort of reading from. However, on this last trip I took, I was resetting the first trip meter every time I filled up and did the math from that. I would also reset the average MPGs meter after every fill up, and it appears that the average MPGs is very accurate.

Wind conditions were good for my travel, and it was almost all constant freeway.

Now that I have no big trips planned for a bit, I'm going to take them off and see how my gas mileage changes.

I ordered some from Polaris today as well for my new 2100 XC

Does anyone have any pictures or how they are installed on the XC highway bars (non tubular) ?

Are they held on with Velcro or how ???

Any help appreciated for a new member in Canada

thanks

xcanada
It comes with illustrated instructions, it's a very simple install, takes minutes. They use velcro and a plastic card which inserts into the gap in the front "chin" of the bike.

One word of note though, I was riding with some friends and their crotch rockets and discovered that because the bottom loop on the soft lowers loops around bottom of the frame it is susceptible to being cut if you lean too far into a corner and scrape it.
I put mine between the painted cover and the metal bar. Saves on scuffing the paint on the top of the bar. The velcro strap fits threw NP just have to wiggle it a bit. The Loopped ends around the floorboard mounts and tighten upon the straps.
They work great at keeping the wind and weather off, but I took them off now that the hot sunny westher is here and only put them on if I get caught in bad weather.
I also put on the flip windshield and Lowers. Great stopping the buffeting and great on the highway doing 120Kph, Approx 70Mph. Yes I lost a little in the gas milage but no bad.

Great add on for the money forsure.
Last update on July 6 2011, 7:08 am by reddog3769.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

www.destinationcycles.com

394315j_20 by reddog3769

73 Honda ST90, 81 Honda CM400T, 81 Kawasaki KZ750, 80 Honda CM750Custom

54 Harley Hardtail Custom, 05 Vegas One Off custom(Sold), 00 SC(Traded for 8 Ball)

07 Vegas 8Ball(Traded for XC), 04 Kingpin (Traded for XC), 10 Cross Country

Cee Bailey is coming out with a bolt on version of the soft lowers but the will use their Plexiglas as the shield that fits the squared crash bars. They can be turned a bit to allow more air to the engine. I've only seen pictures of the prototype's but they show real promise if they can be turned enough to force enough air to the engine to keep it within normal heat limits.

Since I already have the Baker Air Wings in the crash bars; I'm hoping to get a tracing of the shield or buy them without holes drilled directly from Cee Bailey to retro fit them to the Baker hardware.

Here's a pic of the prototype.

Bbob,

I didn't have any issues with engine heat, even in slow moving rush hour traffic in Atlanta. You definitely feel the heat a bit more on your legs when moving slow, but at anything above 45ish MPH it goes away. There still is a bit of airflow, but no heavy wind or buffeting.

reddog,

I believe the Velcro is supposed to go in between the bar and the cover on the forged bars, at least that's the way I did it and remember from the instructions. You do have to wiggle it a bit but it isn't much. In all...takes maybe a minute to install. I carry them in my saddlebag also since they fold up pretty small. I keep them off for around town riding.