TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Spirit Lake AVR 2014

When are the dates for the 2014 AVR in Spirit Lake, IA announced?  I'm assuming it's around the same time every year, but don't want to be wrong.  Is there some place I can find this info?  Thanks!!!

kkproulx said...

When are the dates for the 2014 AVR in Spirit Lake, IA announced?  I'm assuming it's around the same time every year, but don't want to be wrong.  Is there some place I can find this info?  Thanks!!!

It's still a bit early for any official announcements. For quite some time now the rally has been held the third weekend in August, which is the first weekend after Sturgis.
100" Kingpin, 115 hp 124 tq
110" Vision, 128 hp 130 tq

kkproulx said...

I always look at the bottom of the VIC page for the new dates, so far nothing. While at AVR 13 some of the Vic employees were saying that the dates may be earlier this year (before Sturgis) due to some big anniversary of Polaris (think they were saying 60 yrs in business). I look at least weekly, hopefully some dates soon. 

Jack

I checked with Arnolds Park information center that hosts the event, they have the park reserved for August 15th & August 16th for the AVR, thinking this should right, hope so!! I booked on those dates 

2013 Victory Tour
LLODYZ Air Filter
Atom Bombs

2009 Victory Vegas

Having never been to the AVR, could someone tell me more about it?  (I suppose I could Google it, but what fun would that be?)  I have family that lives about 30-40 miles from Spirit Lake and thus I've been thinking about attending next year.  Do they have live music, concession stands and whatnot?  Does Arnold Park allow camping or would I be better off staying with said family then riding back and forth?  Is there an admission fee for the event or is it free if riding in on a Victory?
Thanks,
Known1 

"The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Known1 said...

Having never been to the AVR, could someone tell me more about it?  (I suppose I could Google it, but what fun would that be?)  I have family that lives about 30-40 miles from Spirit Lake and thus I've been thinking about attending next year.  Do they have live music, concession stands and whatnot?  Does Arnold Park allow camping or would I be better off staying with said family then riding back and forth?  Is there an admission fee for the event or is it free if riding in on a Victory?
Thanks,
Known1 

Last year was my first AVR, so here is what I did and know. They had 2 free concerts in Arnolds Park (Josh Turner ((country music)) and another band i cant remember their name), they have vendors there as well. You can not camp as it is the city park, but plenty of places to stay within walking distance of the event. There are tours of the Vic and Indian assembly lines. They also had a bike wash (for donation to their charity), all kinds of events like saddle back packing races, several group rides, demo rides, give aways and such. Had a good time and will be going back, this time with others that now have Vics. The event is free and open to all, saw some HD riders as well as all makes.  Lots of folks there to put new parts and goodies on your bike. Vendors from all over the country, Pretty good event overall.    

Jack
Known1 said...

Thanks,
Known1 

Sounds like you might be familiar with the Okoboji area. The rally is a free event put on by volunteers from Victory and the VMC. The lions share of funding and volunteers coming from Victory but none the less, that's what it is, a collaboration between riders and factory workers. Many of us have started showing up on Thursday, had about 100-150 at the kick off party last year. There's just too many things going on and if you show up Friday afternoon your not going to get to do and see all you'll want to. Every year there's something new or different but typically up at the plant, Spirit Lake, there are tours, displays and demonstrations going on and it's a busy place. So busy the tours are done by signing up for a time now. Last year there was the Experience Center, where you could check out cutaways of Victory engines and parts and talk to the people who design and build them. They also did a paint touch up demo, a bike wash, and Mike from Arizona Victory put on a police motorcycle drill demo in the parking lot.
Down at Arnold's Park is the vendor area where you'll find around 30-40 vendors, the band stage, the contests, the new model demo rides, and charity rides. There's also a dealer doing maintenance and repairs, and two of the best builders/tuners are nearby doing performance upgrades and dyno tuning. Saturday evening is a closing social / banquet where door prizes and contest winners are announced and we get nice little presentations from a corporate VIP and a celebrity like Gunny or a Ness. The rally has gotten so large that last year this social was bursting at the seams and I was sitting so far away I couldn't hear a thing.
Being as this is Arnold's Park, free, and open to the public this rally should be considered "family friendly" and pretty laid back. Just throwing back a cold one and getting to know some of our vendors and fellow riders is imo the best part. There is no longer camping across the street like there used to be, but if you're a camper there are tent and rv sites within a few miles. Hotels within the Okoboji area cost double what you'd expect a room of it's quality to go for during vacation season, if you pay 150.00, expect a 75.00 room.
For the last few years I've been involved with the event from the club side and I'm a little curious to see if Polaris intends to make any changes to incorporate Indian. 2014 will represent the first full year of new Chief production and will also represent the first year of thousands of new Indian riders. So far I haven't heard of any changes but I suspect at some point they're either going to want an Indian event, or incorporate two brands into one event.
100" Kingpin, 115 hp 124 tq
110" Vision, 128 hp 130 tq
iabob said...

Sounds like you might be familiar with the Okoboji area. The rally is a free event put on by volunteers from Victory and the VMC. The lions share of funding and volunteers coming from Victory but none the less, that's what it is, a collaboration between riders and factory workers. Many of us have started showing up on Thursday, had about 100-150 at the kick off party last year. There's just too many things going on and if you show up Friday afternoon your not going to get to do and see all you'll want to. Every year there's something new or different but typically up at the plant, Spirit Lake, there are tours, displays and demonstrations going on and it's a busy place. So busy the tours are done by signing up for a time now. Last year there was the Experience Center, where you could check out cutaways of Victory engines and parts and talk to the people who design and build them. They also did a paint touch up demo, a bike wash, and Mike from Arizona Victory put on a police motorcycle drill demo in the parking lot.
Down at Arnold's Park is the vendor area where you'll find around 30-40 vendors, the band stage, the contests, the new model demo rides, and charity rides. There's also a dealer doing maintenance and repairs, and two of the best builders/tuners are nearby doing performance upgrades and dyno tuning. Saturday evening is a closing social / banquet where door prizes and contest winners are announced and we get nice little presentations from a corporate VIP and a celebrity like Gunny or a Ness. The rally has gotten so large that last year this social was bursting at the seams and I was sitting so far away I couldn't hear a thing.
Being as this is Arnold's Park, free, and open to the public this rally should be considered "family friendly" and pretty laid back. Just throwing back a cold one and getting to know some of our vendors and fellow riders is imo the best part. There is no longer camping across the street like there used to be, but if you're a camper there are tent and rv sites within a few miles. Hotels within the Okoboji area cost double what you'd expect a room of it's quality to go for during vacation season, if you pay 150.00, expect a 75.00 room.
For the last few years I've been involved with the event from the club side and I'm a little curious to see if Polaris intends to make any changes to incorporate Indian. 2014 will represent the first full year of new Chief production and will also represent the first year of thousands of new Indian riders. So far I haven't heard of any changes but I suspect at some point they're either going to want an Indian event, or incorporate two brands into one event.

...we had a great time last year...well run, lots of choice to do as much or as little as you would like to do...
"Those who wish to control their own lives and move beyond existence as mere clients and consumers—those people ride a bike" Wolfgang Sachs

”We live in the land of the free because of the brave...thank an active duty military member or vet for their service!

Known1 said...

Thanks,
Known1 

You should check out TwinCitiesVictoryRiders, we always have at least 2 or 3 groups that go down to Spirit Lake. Some stay the whole time, some do a ride down and back on Saturday.

Thanks for the great information everyone.  I sincerely hope that my schedule will permit my attendance in 2014.  Since the event is so close to family I'll likely (end up having to) stay with them, but time tells all.

Thanks again,
Known1 

"The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson