TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Indian vs. Victory?

I am very worried about all the attention being given to Indian.  If Polaris builds them as good as a Victory, which we know they will, what direction is there for Victory?  Targeting Japanese models?  Apparently going after Harley is going to be Indian's job as until now there has not been a choice in American motorcycles as Polaris itself says time after time.  I realize a dealer network will not come immediately but man alive don't forget about the loyal Vicsters out there!  I feel like we're already demoted to third before the first Indian has been sold!

Last update on June 24 2013, 10:36 pm by Andy.
Yamaha 650 V Star/traded
Yamaha Roadstar/traded
Kawasaki ZZR 1200/traded
Yamaha Warrior/traded
Kawasaki ZX 14/traded
Victory Classic Cruiser/traded
Victory Kingpin/traded
Victory Vegas 8 Ball/traded
Victory Crossroads/traded
Victory Cross Country
Victory Crossroads #2/traded
Victory Vision
Honda Hondamatic 400/sold 2011 Cross Country traded 2014 Indian Chief Classic/2013 Vision/ 2013 Cross Counrry

Unless they broaden the expected line of Indians both in style and price, I think it is another market. From what I have seen, if I didn't buy another Vic, it wouldn't be an Indian either.   Additionally, it could strengthen Victory by showing that Polaris is a committed motorcycle company.  

'09 Black Hammer; Thor 2-1, Torque Tube, VFCIII, Smuggler seat.
Motorcycles are time machines. Ride and everything else stops. No cares, no responsibilities, just the joy of the ride. Life is simple, things make sense, life is worth living.

Putter said...

Additionally, it could strengthen Victory by showing that Polaris is a committed motorcycle company.  

I agree with this 100%.  I didn't know much about Vic's until I found this site and started doing more research.  I believe it's going to give proper attention where deserved (on both camps).

If we're worried about Indian's a'coming, I just image wihat the HD's are thinking...

Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

i agree,Indian is a totally different animal

2012 cct sunset red
  likes this.
I didn't buy a Victory because I didn't like HD. I made my purchase decision based on the fact that Victory had exactly what I was looking for. I have owned numerous HDs and they were all good bikes but they aren't in the same league as my current Vic. Indian looks like they have a real winner but they aren't making a product that looks very comparable to the Victory line. One model isn't going to draw a large number of customers away from either HD or Victory. If I was shopping for a full-on tour machine made in the USA I would have two options; HD or Victory. You could most definitely tour on the Indian but it isn't going to compete with the HD FL line or Victorys Cross line or the Vision.
99%er

I bought a Vic because I liked the handling, power, styling, etc.  Along with this I get to be different and not follow the crowd which I like.  I just worry that Polaris will lose focus on Victory with all the fuss about Indian.  Got to keep a new model coming here and there, and one that sells.  The X bikes are a homerun and generated a lot of sales and excitement.  The last few efforts such as Judge and Boardwalk have flopped.  Harley is certainly a target for Vic but Indian will be more successful at siphoning off those customers than Vic has been simply because of the heritage and rivalry from years ago.  I guess time will tell how much Indian hurts Victory.  I hope they are different enough that Vic sales stay strong.

Yamaha 650 V Star/traded
Yamaha Roadstar/traded
Kawasaki ZZR 1200/traded
Yamaha Warrior/traded
Kawasaki ZX 14/traded
Victory Classic Cruiser/traded
Victory Kingpin/traded
Victory Vegas 8 Ball/traded
Victory Crossroads/traded
Victory Cross Country
Victory Crossroads #2/traded
Victory Vision
Honda Hondamatic 400/sold 2011 Cross Country traded 2014 Indian Chief Classic/2013 Vision/ 2013 Cross Counrry
  likes this.
coffeedave said...

I bought a Vic because I liked the handling, power, styling, etc.  Along with this I get to be different and not follow the crowd which I like.  I just worry that Polaris will lose focus on Victory with all the fuss about Indian.  Got to keep a new model coming here and there, and one that sells.  The X bikes are a homerun and generated a lot of sales and excitement.  The last few efforts such as Judge and Boardwalk have flopped.  Harley is certainly a target for Vic but Indian will be more successful at siphoning off those customers than Vic has been simply because of the heritage and rivalry from years ago.  I guess time will tell how much Indian hurts Victory.  I hope they are different enough that Vic sales stay strong.

I disagree that Harley is a target for Vic. Victory is far to progressive to aim for the HD crowd. HDs biggest marketing success is basically about the heritage of HD. Vic knows they can't touch the o es who are into the heritage. I think Vic is targeting potential buyers who want a modern big twin bike. Look at the lines on a Vic. It doesn't come close to looking like HD and I think that is part of the brilliance of the design. You're right about Indian being more successful for drawing HD customers away and I hope it works.

In the other Indian "dread thread" I reported some of what our local Vic sales manager told me. The 3 operations are going to be completely separate. The ATV side of the house will not have direct input on the MC side any longer. He believes this is going back in the right direction and Vic and Indian customer service will be right. He said Vic customer service was among the best before they combined operations. After the combo, it was hard for the dealers to get any help from corporate HQ for Vics.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red46\green46\blue46;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2
\
\
\

Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com
\

\
}
  likes this.

I agree. Different markets. Victory is a modern performance cruiser market and Indian will be about 112 years of heritage. Look at where they are introing the bike. Sturgis started by an Indian motorcycle club, heritage all the way.

Happiness is in the hand that holds the throttle!
Creek_IP said...

I disagree that Harley is a target for Vic. Victory is far to progressive to aim for the HD crowd. HDs biggest marketing success is basically about the heritage of HD. Vic knows they can't touch the o es who are into the heritage. I think Vic is targeting potential buyers who want a modern big twin bike. Look at the lines on a Vic. It doesn't come close to looking like HD and I think that is part of the brilliance of the design. You're right about Indian being more successful for drawing HD customers away and I hope it works.
In the other Indian "dread thread" I reported some of what our local Vic sales manager told me. The 3 operations are going to be completely separate. The ATV side of the house will not have direct input on the MC side any longer. He believes this is going back in the right direction and Vic and Indian customer service will be right. He said Vic customer service was among the best before they combined operations. After the combo, it was hard for the dealers to get any help from corporate HQ for Vics.

I would beg to differ--Victory specifically targeted Harley, and made no secret of it. Didn't you see all the "comparison videos" that Victory put on YouTube? There was no one else in their crosshairs.

That said, I'm thrilled that they did not clone their style like the big 3 Japanese manufacturers. They have their own style. The problem is, HD guys either complain that they are being copied....or they tell me my Xroads is "too futuristic"--- the latter is what I hear the most. What if we stopped buying new cars because they were too modern....

I have one of each... 2011 Vision and just bought the 2013 FE... the Vision is the better touring bike... the Indian is more wow factor.

Skip
  likes this.