TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Wiring the Vision for a trailer

Okay I am expecting my wiring harness any day now. I have my Vision up on a jack and I still can't see how to run the wires down an under the Vision to the trailer hitch. I have looked up underneath it and the tail lights are enclosed, so I can't run them from there out. Could someone please tell me where their wires are run.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damon
2013 Victory Vision,luggage rack,CB/Intercom,chrome clutch cover, chrome engine bracket covers, lower air deflectors, hitch-doc trailer hitch.
2008 Yamaha Venture
2007 Yamaha V-Star Tour
Topics: Vision, trailer, wiring

I run my wire by the right side of the seat. I use the wiring diagram from the shop manual. I don't use any electronic device for, only direct connection from the wire to the trailer connector. If you don't have the wiring diagram it is a bit difficult to connect. If you have it, look carefully and all the wire color are easy to find into the wiring of your bike.

hope this help

Fitz.   

Victory Vision Tour 2008
Canadian Pontiac Pathfinder deLuxe 1953

Fitz said...

I run my wire by the right side of the seat. I use the wiring diagram from the shop manual. I don't use any electronic device for, only direct connection from the wire to the trailer connector. If you don't have the wiring diagram it is a bit difficult to connect. If you have it, look carefully and all the wire color are easy to find into the wiring of your bike.

hope this help

Fitz.   

Thanks for getting back with me. I don't think I will have a problem wiring it, but how did you route the wiring from the trailer hitch up and under the seat.  That is what I am trying to find out.  I haven't seen an opening anywhere to do that.

Damon
2013 Victory Vision,luggage rack,CB/Intercom,chrome clutch cover, chrome engine bracket covers, lower air deflectors, hitch-doc trailer hitch.
2008 Yamaha Venture
2007 Yamaha V-Star Tour

Look carefully on the right side, the seat removed, you will see a small route to the bottom of the rear end, I use tie rap (2) to attach the wire to the trailer hicth in the rear wheel well.

Fitz.

Victory Vision Tour 2008

some pictures taken from the installation.

Fitz.   

Victory Vision Tour 2008

Fitz said...

Look carefully on the right side, the seat removed, you will see a small route to the bottom of the rear end, I use tie rap (2) to attach the wire to the trailer hicth in the rear wheel well.

Fitz.

Thanks, I guess I have never seen it. I was going to take the tail lights out and just hook everything up there but after getting my bike up on my jack I saw that they were fully enclosed. So I started looking under the seat and saw nothing there.  I didn't know what I was going to do. Thanks so much.

Damon
2008 Yamaha Venture
2007 Yamaha V-Star Tour

ironhead said...

Thanks, I guess I have never seen it. I was going to take the tail lights out and just hook everything up there but after getting my bike up on my jack I saw that they were fully enclosed. So I started looking under the seat and saw nothing there.  I didn't know what I was going to do. Thanks so much.

So you didn't use an isolator to get the power from the battery for your trailer lights?  And did you not have to have an adapter to go from 5 wire to 4 wire?

Damon
2008 Yamaha Venture
2007 Yamaha V-Star Tour

<quote=7861>

some pictures taken from the installation.

Fitz.   

</quote

I think I can tell where you ran your wire, but I don't see the wiring harness you tied into. I guess I will have to look even closer still.

Damon
2008 Yamaha Venture
2007 Yamaha V-Star Tour

The bike original harness I used is under the handle colored plastic plate (right side), if you look at the picture, the harness at left come from the under red plastic plate, and, if you look near the white wire (it is a part of the trailer harness), you can see the wire loom going down on the far right. I use a 5 pin connectors with no converter, it work perfectly.

Fitz.

Victory Vision Tour 2008

Fitz said...

The bike original harness I used is under the handle colored plastic plate (right side), if you look at the picture, the harness at left come from the under red plastic plate, and, if you look near the white wire (it is a part of the trailer harness), you can see the wire loom going down on the far right. I use a 5 pin connectors with no converter, it work perfectly.

Fitz.

Well this is very interesting.  Am I understanding you to say that there is a harness on the Vision for a trailer already, or is this the wire harness that leads to the tail lights.  I have heard about a harness that is prewired for a trailer on the Vision but I have yet to find it on my bike and I have had the seat off several times.

I hate to sound dumb but you mentioned that you used a 5 pin connector with out an adapter or converter as you said.  So tell me how you went down from the 5 wire to the 4 wire pigtail on the trailer.  I appreciate all your help.

Damon
2008 Yamaha Venture
2007 Yamaha V-Star Tour