TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Clutch cable help

I've read through all the related threads I could find and unless I've missed it, I haven't been able to find the answer to my questions. I'm new to this forum thing as a whole, and this one in particular. So, I have 2 questions, the first is that I think my clutch cable needs a minor adjustment and I've located where to do that, but not sure how. I don't want to do any damage by trying to turn something that isn't supposed to be turned. If someone could explain this to me I would appreciate it, or tell me if I need to leave it alone and find someone with more experience to assist me. Also I'd be happy to explain the issue I'm having in full if anyone is curious, I just didn't want to create a bunch of uneccessary reading.

My second question, is while looking for the answer to this question I came across several threads about clutch cables breaking. Could someone please explain to me where and how to lubricate my clutch cable as this seems to be the top recommendation to help prevent this. I have no knowledge of terminology, so would definitely need a "Barney-style" explanation.

Thanks in advance!

I've been riding on cable clutches since 1996 and have never had one break on me.  That being said, I'm probably lucky too.  Many people carry a cable repair kit, but I choose not to honestly. 

I very rarely ride alone outside of 100 miles from my house, but even still have a network of riders available (with trailers) should something like a broken clutch cable happen (thank you CVMA).  Personally, I wouldn't worry about this issue too much while riding on a fairly new bike.  But still, an upgrade to the hydrolic version should be considered in the future.

I know I wasn't much help on this thread, but felt the need to poke my opinion in.

Be safe man. 

Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70mph can double your vocabulary.
 photo FLGAILINKYMIMONCOHSCTNVAWVlg.jpg

I appreciate the input all the same Work_Horse!

Also I should have probably said, I have an 06 Kingpin with 11k miles on it. I think I have located one spot in need of lubrication and that is where the cable comes out to make the final stretch to the EZ Clutch. The coating is already worn off it, it looks like the angle isn't quite right, pulling the cable against the housing.

I have an 05 Kingpin and am on cable #6.55,000 miles on the bike. grease the cable ends at the lever and the trans.You need to take it loose from the handle. I remove the lever and clean the lever and the cable end. then grease the barrell on both ends of the cable and reinstall.

05 Kingpin. S&S intake,100inch kit w/11:1 pistons,stage 3 cams, Lloyd's ecu rev extend,RPW 2 into 1 exhaust.

tarzan said...

I have an 05 Kingpin and am on cable #6.55,000 miles on the bike. grease the cable ends at the lever and the trans.You need to take it loose from the handle. I remove the lever and clean the lever and the cable end. then grease the barrell on both ends of the cable and reinstall.

Thank you. At the transmission is where I can already see visible wear. I found a service manual, which will probably get me into trouble, so hopefully I can use that to figure out how to take it loose from the handle.

The easy way to turn the cable loose is to take a crescent wrench and adjust it to fit over the clutch arm, engage the clutch with the wrench and remove the cable at the lever.
"I'll take you down but I'll never let you down"

Sounds like its time to come out with fly by wire for clutches.

99%er

TN_Kingpin said...

Also I should have probably said, I have an 06 Kingpin with 11k miles on it. I think I have located one spot in need of lubrication and that is where the cable comes out to make the final stretch to the EZ Clutch. The coating is already worn off it, it looks like the angle isn't quite right, pulling the cable against the housing.

I wanted to go with the EZ Clutch but didn't for just this reason? I've read time after time where the alignment is off just enough to cause wear?

2011 Blk Cross Country

Ride safe and ride often!

Chuck

May I piggy back on this thead?

I think my cable may need adjustment, what do you think? I normally start my bike in neutral but lately I have been starting her in 1st gear and when I do I notice even with the clutch pulled all the way in she lurches forward slightly. However I never notice her trying to creep forward at a stop once she is started.