TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Help! Rear Brakes requires pumping!!

Rear brakes worked fine last ride, yesterday started noticing pedal was squishy,  first pump almost to the floor, second and third started building pressure, but next time,  no pressure till pumped.

Jumped to today, went out to garage, stepped on brake and no pressure, even pumping did not deliver pressure. 

There are no leaks, reservoir is full with clean and clear fluid ( with a touch of yellow).

Any ideas??

Thanks!!        

WFSDNO .... Wife Said NO ... she finally gave up, so I won!!!

Usually you just need to bleed the front wheel's right caliper lower bleed valve-it's the one between the two banjo bolts , not the one on top.

"I'll take you down but I'll never let you down"
Yep Bleed brakes
Rode & Sold Harleys for many Years, yet here we are ! 2013 vegas 8 Ball , K&N , RPW Big Slash & download. (wife's ) Mine 2012 Hard Ball !
Harley 2010 FLTRX black denim , Sold !
2010 Jackpot sold !

Sounds like a bad rear master cylinder.

2012 Victory XCT Pearl White "The Great White" -
74 CB500T - stable
Retired; 06 FLHXI 95, 00 FLSTC 88B , 79 FLH80 , 82 Katana 550 , 82 KZ1000 J2 , 82 Virago 750 , 79 KZ750T ,
74 CB360T , 74 Suzuki TS125

Barbarossa said...

Sounds like a bad rear master cylinder.

I agree. Your fluid is going around the seal intead of actuating the piston.  

2012 XCT-deluxe saddlebag bars, Ness derby and cam covers, +2" chubby bars, heated Avon grips, Wolo horn, chrome bag lid rails, PC-V

Sounds like a leaking pressure switch... this switch is located up front and can be broken from road debris flying up into the front opening.  It's a $15 part and about 20 minutes to replace.

Skip

This is a known issue with the Vision-your master cylinder is not the issue-bleed the right front center valve & it can't hurt to bleed the rear brake to but wasn't necessasary in my case & others. This is a linked system and as crazy as it sounds bleeding at the front center caliper will take care of the problem.

"I'll take you down but I'll never let you down"

BytN2it is correct. This was an issue on the 2008 Vision and to a very very small degree on the 2009's. I had the exact same issue on my '08 Vision. If you do a VOG search on breaks you should find at least one thread I started on this subject and I got some good advice from Kevin X on this. Ultimately he recommended replacing the line.....although I cannot remember why or his exact reasoning.

I will do a search and post the link here.

NOT a master cylinder issue.

State map2012 by phoenix9 VisitedMexicanStatesMap by phoenix9

QUALITY over speed. Doing a crappy job fast is worthless, so take pride in your work as so few do these days. If you want to lose respect, then act like your work doesn't matter.

Here it is....I finally found the thread. Hope this has some information that can help you.

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/8480/039-08-vis...

State map2012 by phoenix9 VisitedMexicanStatesMap by phoenix9

QUALITY over speed. Doing a crappy job fast is worthless, so take pride in your work as so few do these days. If you want to lose respect, then act like your work doesn't matter.
  likes this.

Thank you everyone!  I will start with bleeding the front center, if that doesnt work, move on to the more expensive stuff.

I appreciate the help!

Ride safe, Roger    

WFSDNO .... Wife Said NO ... she finally gave up, so I won!!!