TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Tips on Removing Baffles from Swept Exhaust?

I have an 07 KP with Stage 1 swept exhaust. I am toying with the idea of removing the baffles in the pipes (a louder bike is a safer bike). I have a few questions before I dive in that I would love your feedback on:

Is this a fairly simple procedure (a DIY project)?
How do I do it?
Is it reversible?
Does the EFI have to be flashed after the baffles are removed?

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

~greg
Has anyone performed any mods to make their KP louder? Maybe removing the baffles isn't the way to go, but what steps have you taken to ensure other drivers notice you?

How load do you want your bike too be, loud is good within reason. Thelouder the bike the safer the bike is BS, Only the driver can make a safe bike

Regards

Thanks for your reply, Sutherland. I want the bike louder because I hear most Harleys coming before I see them and am ready for them, thus they are more noticeable (safer). Being noticeable to other cars is a key to safety on a bike. I am an insurance adjuster and see crashed cruisers as <part of my job about 3-4 times per week. The most common story from riders is "The car turned right in front of me... never knew I was there!"

My swept pipes have a great sound, but are more quiet than I had hoped. I don't want to rattle the neighborhood, but I would like to be heard if I can't be seen.
Don't know about your area but there are a lot of places inposing noise bylaws to discourage this procedure and a lot of place it is illegal to remove baffles
Regards
Well one of mine out fell when bike was new and it sounded likke crap, sort of like a big rig jake brake on decell, and worse on accelleration. Replaced with santa rosa baffles, sounds better and a little louder. Dont recomend running without baffles, new louder pipes are the answer but cost $............
Last update on October 26 2010, 5:59 pm by onerider.
Yes,one of mine fell out last week on the road. I let cool a bit and tossed it in the side bag. Is there a trick to getting them in and having them stay in? My pipe drags on RH turns, so I'm guessing that's why it came out...
Cheers!

Tony in Columbus
Quote:
Originally posted by: MaddAnthony_59

Yes,one of mine fell out last week on the road. I let cool a bit and tossed it in the side bag. Is there a trick to getting them in and having them stay in? My pipe drags on RH turns, so I'm guessing that's why it came out...

Yes. Just use Loctite on the nut and bolt holding it in. Drill a new hole on the back side if need be.
Quote:
Originally posted by: BBob

Yes. Just use Loctite on the nut and bolt holding it in. Drill a new hole on the back side if need be.

Got it, Thanks! I replaced the missing bolt with a Hex, and the Nut is welded to the baffle, so the tricky part was getting the baffle back in and lining up the hole.
Cheers!

Tony in Columbus